Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUETools 2.1.4 and MusicBrainz problem (Read 3584 times) previous topic - next topic

CUETools 2.1.4 and MusicBrainz problem

I'm trying to use CUETools to recode some old rips and fix their tags at the same time. My previous method was to use fobar2000 with the MusicBrainz plugin to fix the tags, then recode to the new format. Incidentally I would use CUETools to verify the rip; some of these are pretty old and predate EAC with AccurateRip. This was labor intensive, but it worked well.

Can CUETools automate this for me? I can get it to do the recode, but not the MusicBrainz lookup. I have the settings Action - Encode, Mode - Tracks (with MusicBrainz, freedb and AccurateRip checked), and Audio Output - Lossless. Each time I drop a folder it recodes but does not fix the tags with MusicBrainz.

Am I missing something? Do I need to have the original EAC log file in the folder? CUE file? Does it work if I use CUETools to generate a CUE file?

Thanks for any help!

Reply #1
When using the default settings in a batch mode CUETools will use the existing cue or tags first.

Before you start changing settings though, first try using Folder Browser mode for the Input and make a file selection (not a folder). This will enable popup windows in 2.1.4 (see note below). When the 'Select the best match' window appears during encoding, select a MusicBrainz entry (edit if needed) and click OK.

Note: In 2.1.5, popup windows are now enabled when dragging a folder if that folder contains only one disc.
korth

Reply #2
Thank you so much! I have been playing with this all morning, and it greatly simplifies things. I also started using 2.1.5 so I hope that doesn't cause me any trouble down the road...

If I may ask another question, can you tell me if a CUE file made by CUETools from tracks only will have the same information as a CUE file made at the time the CD was ripped? Assuming the CD was ripped correctly, say by a properly configured EAC.

I ask because I am using CUETools to update lots of old lossless rips, and some are missing CUE files. I thought they were unimportant and deleted them... They are important, right?

Thanks!

Reply #3
I believe 2.1.5 is almost ready. Most of the reported bugs were fixed as of the June 11 build.

The CUE will be similar to the EAC's 'Multiple Files With Gaps (Noncompliant)' using the default Gap handling setting in CUETools. Tagging will be based on the MusicBrainz data you selected. If you have the original EAC log (v 0.99 & up) in the source folder and detected gaps prior to ripping with EAC, CUETools can detect the INDEX 00 values for the new CUE, otherwise the CUE will only have INDEX 01 for each track. CUETools can also use the EAC log to detect disc pregap (HTOA) and/or the presence of a Data Track from the original rip. This info will be used for the DISCID tag in the CUE and may be needed for correct AccurateRip results.
korth