Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: --alt preset 128 and the -Y switch... (Read 4042 times) previous topic - next topic

--alt preset 128 and the -Y switch...

How come the -Y switch is not used with the --alt-preset 128, 144 and similar settings by default?
I've noticed that it is used with the --alt-preset medium, which is supposed to give a little higher bitrates than 128 or 144.
How much degradation in quality would the --alt-preset 128 or 144 have if I used the -Y switch with it?
And, yes, I know that the alt-presets are tuned for optimal quality, but I'm just being curious, because I tried some samples, and they were easier to listen with the -Y switch... is it just me?

Many thanks.
Only the best is good enough.

Reply #1
And, yes, I know that the alt-presets are tuned for optimal quality, but I'm just being curious, because I tried some samples, and they were easier to listen with the -Y switch... is it just me?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270371"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What do you mean, "easier to listen"? That does not sound like a valid ABX test, does it?   
Anyway, -Y does only make sense with VBR and not CBR/ABR. IIRC, these function as if they actually do use -Y (i.e. no noise shaping in sfb21), so adding it is pointless. Maybe someone else can provide more technical details...

Greetings, sTisTi
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

Reply #2
The adding -Y does not change the abr/cbr behavior.
Apart from technical explanations, this is a clear demonstration of placebo effect.

Reply #3
Does that mean that the output file should be the same, regardless of my usage of the -Y switch?

As for the "easier to listen" term... well, what I meant was that the sample did not have that much "squealing" artifacts within the treble range when I listened to it... I could have been wrong, though, I admit 

Reply #4
Does that mean that the output file should be the same, regardless of my usage of the -Y switch?

Yes. Another victim of the placebo affect.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #5
Ok... I am also another victim of an infinite ignorance (but trying to fix it):
what exactly is a placebo effect?

Thanks.

Reply #6
what exactly is a placebo effect?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo[/url]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo_effect

In other words, the difference only exists in your mind.
(because: "The adding -Y does not change the abr/cbr behavior.")

Reply #7
OK... thanks to everyone.
More questions coming soon