Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Installed on Ubuntu MATE 20.04, it won't see my drives (Read 1276 times) previous topic - next topic

Installed on Ubuntu MATE 20.04, it won't see my drives

the only local "/" folder I can click on that gives me a subfolder "Home", drives are listed in "media". I even made links to my 3 music folders that are on 3 separate drives, not on the drive that linux is installed on, I leave that one for the OS only, but when I look at the Library after that, it tells me Error, and again when Rescanning. So I assume it is restricted by the OS itself right now.

I tried to open it as Admin, with the huge warning against doing so for people who don't know what they're doing, like why I install Avast! on my mom's win10 computer, useless to those who know what they're doing, pretty good for those who don't or forgot (she calls often about things she used to do in her late 30's on dial-up in the late 90's heh, god bless her). It wasn't able to produce a gui when opened as admin, so right now my only option looks like to copy to the Music folder albums I want to listen to...not very fun, especially since I almost only listen to FLACs, which have been given ReplayGain tags with metaflac for album and per track. Not understanding much how Rhythmbox or Banshee handled ReplayGain and a lot of searches leading me to foobar2000....something I saw often in the past, but I used WinAmp until I stopped using Windows at all, am even tempted to install it through Wine sometimes...anyways. What's the deal? I installed it following this guide :

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2018/02/install-foobar2000-snap-ubuntu-16-04/

It says it's for 16.04 and later, I hope 20.04.3 isn't too "later". Program opens fine, sliding album folders in the playlist gives me something in the Name/Value box but nothing playable, it detects the band and album but doesn't list the songs, shortly, nothing gets accomplished. I wanted to try foobar2k finally because of how better (and apparently automatically...Rhythmbox's ReplayGain plugin apparently still needs fiddling with and one shouldn't just select Album mode and leave it at -0), algebra is almost involved here and I'm smart enough to do that, but way too lazy to do it for just a music player when there's one out there automatically setting things correctly with the ReplayGain tags I've added to a lot of my collection with metaflac.

Is there a permission level that's preferable for foobar2k in Ubuntu ? (MATE is just the Linux Mint gnome-like GUI, it doesn't change anything else, I'd use LM, but they are always behind when it comes to kernels, plus Ubuntu MATE doesn't come with the unwanted things plain old Ubuntu comes with nowadays). Kinda frustrated I went through that slow snap process (I hate snaps, guh!, what's even worse is snap commands given to you as help that then say to install flatpak).

Please help a foobar2k n00b :) Thanks!

Re: Installed on Ubuntu MATE 20.04, it won't see my drives

Reply #1
the snap apps are isolated and sandboxed and have very limted rigths.

If you need to used others locations besides your home folder or drives mounted in media/user you must use a normal instalation of foobar2000 with wine

Feel free to ask if you find any problem doing it

Reply #2
I see...is there just some way to install it with a amd64 deb, a PPA, the classic way?

Also are my assumptions that foobar will be applying the RG tags without needing to tweak em like with the Rhythmbox and Banshee RG plugins? I find it strange that installing this way creates it into a sandboxed wine that is not even installed yet (I'll just install CrossOver for Linux 19, it's better than Wine, bought it dirt cheap at the beginning of the year too.

I'm pretty intrigued with getting RG to play right, and all signs point to foobar to play RG tagged files the way they should be automatically, even if not scanned by the player itself (like I said I did it with metaflac for Rhythmbox and others but it doesn't sound right to me).

Reply #3
I see...is there just some way to install it with a amd64 deb, a PPA, the classic way?

Yes and no  :D .

First you have to instal WINE. You can find it in the ubuntu repositories or in a ppa like the winehq one.

winehq

The ubuntu repositories version is a bit old and the wine hq ones have more up to date versions and diferents flavours (stable, devel and staging)

In the link there is also instruction to do a correct install.

Then you must install foobar.

Download the windows installer and open a terminal in the same folder.

with a simple
Code: [Select]
wine foobar2000_version.exe
you will be in a normal windows instalation: next, next done.
If you choose standar instalation at the end you will have an icon in the desktop to open foobar2000.

Also are my assumptions that foobar will be applying the RG tags without needing to tweak em like with the Rhythmbox and Banshee RG plugins?

Foobar can scan, apply and play files with replaygain out of the box.

I find it strange that installing this way creates it into a sandboxed wine that is not even installed yet (I'll just install CrossOver for Linux 19, it's better than Wine, bought it dirt cheap at the beginning of the year too.

The snaps are designed for sandboxing.
The foobar snap is in fact a foobar installed in wine sandboxed in a snap.
It have some advantages but some limitations too.
If you do like i explain you foobar2000 will work like a normal application.

I'm pretty intrigued with getting RG to play right, and all signs point to foobar to play RG tagged files the way they should be automatically, even if not scanned by the player itself (like I said I did it with metaflac for Rhythmbox and others but it doesn't sound right to me).

Don't worry about that. Foobar2000 will cover all your needs and works pretty well with WINE.

In normal use is like it is a native application.

Reply #4
I forgot that there is other way.

You can use a program called playonlinux, Very similar to crossover but free.

Maybe this way will be more easy. You only need to go to install program, search foobar2000 and it do all the work for you.

You can find up to date .deb file to playonlinux in here

PlayOnLinux

Reply #5
Yup...I heard of this playonlinux like 10 years ago, it isn't recommended often. Hm. A proper linux version would be great, but I guess it is not entirely open source eh?

Big thanks to you, unlike many forums the answers were helpful and without condescension...which is a heavy problem on some general computer help forums that will remain nameless, so many people assuming you just need to search "google" more (when I post, I've done a lot of searching) or that you deserve not to know the answer because they didn't like how you asked the question...I'll stop there ;)

I'll look into these other solutions. Although I will try with CrossOver first, since I bought it in January, I know what people think of closed source linux software, but until Wine is as great as CrossOver, I'll use it, which I've been doing ever since I became mainly a linux user, I stick to Debian and the Debian family...but sometimes I wish I learned how to use Arch, where everything works despite what version of anything you try to install, it's just...slackware complicated in terminal to me and that's too much heh. I'll tell you what happens with this.

I was wondering just one thing though, can I move the rights to foobar2k so that it can see the drives? Change its user group or such, I assume 775 would be needed for this, I'm comfortable with chmod.

Reply #6
Yup...I heard of this playonlinux like 10 years ago, it isn't recommended often. Hm. A proper linux version would be great, but I guess it is not entirely open source eh?
The licence is GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE   Version 3, 29 June 2007, so copyleft.

I prefer work with wine directly but playonlinux offer an easy solution to use windows programs without complications and gives a good result with foobar2000.especially..

Also noticed that if your concern is fully open source foobar2000 is not open source, only freeware.

Big thanks to you, unlike many forums the answers were helpful and without condescension...which is a heavy problem on some general computer help forums that will remain nameless, so many people assuming you just need to search "google" more (when I post, I've done a lot of searching) or that you deserve not to know the answer because they didn't like how you asked the question...I'll stop there ;)

No problem, glad to help

I'll look into these other solutions. Although I will try with CrossOver first, since I bought it in January, I know what people think of closed source linux software, but until Wine is as great as CrossOver, I'll use it, which I've been doing ever since I became mainly a linux user, I stick to Debian and the Debian family...but sometimes I wish I learned how to use Arch, where everything works despite what version of anything you try to install, it's just...slackware complicated in terminal to me and that's too much heh. I'll tell you what happens with this.

If you have the licence crossover is a good software and like playonlinux makes the thing more easy to people.

Choose what best suits you.

With all of then you will have a good experience. Fooobar2000 works perfect in wine.

I was wondering just one thing though, can I move the rights to foobar2k so that it can see the drives? Change its user group or such, I assume 775 would be needed for this, I'm comfortable with chmod.

The rights of foobar2000 are only a problem when you use the snap package due the snap package nature of sanfboxing.
If you install it with any of the others methods it will have the same rights than the user you run it with.
If your user can access it foobar will do too.