Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Do you keep songs of an album you don't like? (Read 25860 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Do you keep songs of an album you don't like?

Reply #25
I always listen to albums as a whole, so I do keep all the tracks.
Same here.  And, if it's a CD reissue of a vinyl album I always delete the so-called "Bonus Material".

Reply #26
I always listen to albums as a whole, so I do keep all the tracks.
Same here.  And, if it's a CD reissue of a vinyl album I always delete the so-called "Bonus Material".

I keep original version as much as possible. Only a few albums with outstanding deluxe tracks make my library.

Reply #27
There's no general rule but most often I delete the whole album if it isn't enjoyable to listen in one go, start to finish. Rarely I decide to do something else. 
If there are bonus tracks added by producer or someone else but not the artist, but they are actually good and match the album theme, I keep them, otherwise I often remove them. 
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #28
While growing up, if the family authority figures didn't like the song, and were justified by tabooed content, I would either delete it or edit it to acceptable levels. (I think I did a better job than some radio stations for a few songs. [I still somehow ended up listening to screamo even if the parents didn't like the sound of it.])

I'm a firm believer that the more often you are told to agree with something, the more likely you are to start to agree with it. Why am I going to listen to a song over and over again that is pleading for its listeners to engage in and or agree with something that I have found, by painful experience, to make me unhappy?

More songs exist than I have time to listen to in my entire life. What are the chances that they are all worth listening to?

The goal in my music library is that any random person should be able to pick any song from it, and I will enjoy listening to it. Those well composed songs that have a positive vibe or message: I want to hear them with more frequency than those that are neutral or bland. If my library is mostly filled with dirt, I'm going to be hearing more dirt than gems.
For instrumentals, I am much less critical. I tend to keep a lot more of the bland stuff. Maybe they just composed better.

It is true that some of my favorite songs, I initially found to be very bland or uninteresting. No song should be deleted without being listened to at least five times. (Hopefully with ample amounts of time in between. I tend to hate songs that I don't know well and just heard an hour ago.) Unless it includes things that I don't want to hear again. Some can be edited, but most are not worth the effort.
Processed audio in java and python.

Reply #29
Long ago, I didn't used to rip CDs because I didn't have the hard drive space, and it didn't matter much since CDs seemed to last forever. Even when I got a new computer with a terabyte drive, I still didn't rip a lot because my tastes had changed. But then I found firsthand one of my CD-ROMs internally rotted to the point it was mostly unusable. Knowing they degrade anyway, I started ripping CDs more thereon. Then for variety on my phone, pop songs and compilations, anything I could find that had at least some taste—most everything was ripped, except for tribute covers and remixes.

These days I don't delete any of the lossless rips; there's more than enough drive space on my computer for all the CDs I own (and possibly the DVDs too) that the HDD will probably die before it even comes close to getting filled. Even if I don't like a song, there's still value and a history with all music. And anything could have valuable samples for testing purposes.