Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: QAAC "-q" setting (Read 5947 times) previous topic - next topic

QAAC "-q" setting

Hi,

Could someone please help me understand what the "-q" setting in QAAC does? The documentation only describes it as "aac encoding quality", with no additional details. What does a value of 2 do compared to 0? How does it differ from a high or low value of the "-V" setting?

Thanks!

R.

QAAC "-q" setting

Reply #1
https://github.com/nu774/qaac/wiki/Encoder-configuration

AAC output mode options take integer value (option argument) to specify bitrate or quality.  --tvbr  takes quality value between 0 to 127 (bigger result in better quality, larger file size).

there exists an another option named  --quality  ( -q ), and you might be confused by this. Unlike bitrate or TVBR quality, this option controls not quality/size trade off but quality/speed trade off. Bigger value means higher quality (or smaller file size), and slower encoding speed. By default, qaac chooses  --quality 2 . Probably you don't have to touch this option unless you have a special reason to do so.

QAAC "-q" setting

Reply #2
I would say there's no case to use this option because even my old two core laptop can convert in real-time with Q2 and singe thread.
Maybe only very ancient computer like Intel Pentium but that wouldnot work anyway because CoreAudioToolbox using SSE.

QAAC "-q" setting

Reply #3
Thank you!