Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I need a ripper other than EAC (Read 3024 times) previous topic - next topic

I need a ripper other than EAC

I've used EAC since the late 1990's, and I will continue to use it. Probably.

But I have a disc it will not rip. Of 16 tracks, I get maybe two—everything else is a read or sync error. But the disc looks pristine. It plays just fine in my car. Windows Media Player will rip it. I hate Windows Media Player.

Is there something else I can use, instead?

Re: I need a ripper other than EAC

Reply #1
I've used EAC since... will continue to use it. Probably. Is there something else I can use, instead?

I use this.

but it's not generally available just yet.
BANNED

Reply #2

But I have a disc it will not rip. Of 16 tracks, I get maybe two—everything else is a read or sync error. But the disc looks pristine.
You could provide more info about the CD and the EAC extraction log.

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Comparison_of_CD_rippers

korth

Reply #3
It plays just fine in my car.
If it plays in the computer you can record it with Audacity while it's playing.    It's not an "exact digital audio copy" but it's a possible solution and the sound quality can be just fine.    Or, if you have a soundcard with a line-input you can record from a CD/DVD player.

I had an old version of Audiograbber and it had "analog ripping" built-in.    But, the free version of Audiograbber is now ad-ware and I don't know if it still has that feature.

Reply #4
@teh roxxors

When the last time you cleaned CD player?

EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Reply #5
Ok, some recommendations:

1. Wash the CD with some dish detergent and sponge, rinse it with tap water and dry it.  This has helped me a lot with CD that won't rip.
2. Try another CD-ROM drive and see if it still gives you problems.  If it doesn't, it's the CD drive
3. Get some ScratchX and use a lint-free cloth to polish the bottom of the CD.  Rub with scratchX for about a minute then wash with soapy water, rinse with tap water and dry.  Buff with microfiber cloth to make sure there are no water spots or other streaks.

I can't tell you how many CDs I have "saved" using ScratchX.

Reply #6
dBpoweramp of course.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #7
Ok, some recommendations:

1. Wash the CD with some dish detergent and sponge, rinse it with tap water and dry it.  This has helped me a lot with CD that won't rip.
2. Try another CD-ROM drive and see if it still gives you problems.  If it doesn't, it's the CD drive
3. Get some ScratchX and use a lint-free cloth to polish the bottom of the CD.  Rub with scratchX for about a minute then wash with soapy water, rinse with tap water and dry.  Buff with microfiber cloth to make sure there are no water spots or other streaks.

I have a JFJ Easy Pro, and the disc has been polished. I'm not the lurker who rips a CD once in a blue moon. I rip a dozen or more discs every day.

What is the software, above, that is not "generally available yet," and how do I get it?

Reply #8
What is the software, above, that is not "generally available yet," and how do I get it?
Image shows Jukebox 2112.

-

Have you tried Burst mode in EAC?
I have a couple of CDs from the past few years of ripping that cannot be Securely ripped in EAC but can be ripped in Burst mode. It's not ideal, but the only way to rip that CD with EAC. I have also successfully used foobar2000 to rip them as well.

Reply #9

But I have a disc it will not rip. Of 16 tracks, I get maybe two—everything else is a read or sync error. But the disc looks pristine. It plays just fine in my car. Windows Media Player will rip it. I hate Windows Media Player.

I have a couple CDs that are like that.  They look to be in great shape and play perfectly fine in CD players, however I had trouble using cdparanoia to rip them (Linux user here).  I had even tried multiple drives.  I had to disable some of the error detection to successfully rip the discs. 

Reply #10
It's worth trying but polishing has NEVER worked for me.   (Sometimes cleaning has helped.)       I assume the problem with polishing is that the data layer is on the top/label side of the disc and IF the top is scratched/damaged polishing won't help.

Reply #11
* EAC burst rip?
* dBpoweramp, try burst mode?
* CUETools' CUERipper, again try burst first?

If it verifies with AccurateRip, then look no further. Heck, you can even rip it with Windows Media Player and then try to retro-verify it with CUETools - but since everyone needs CUETools anyway, you might to use it for ripping too.

If you cannot get a good rip with burst, then time to see what dBpoweramp or CUETools can do in safer modes.

Reply #12
Heck, you can even rip it with Windows Media Player and then try to retro-verify it with CUETools
You would need to modify/fix the last track for CUETools to properly identify the CD. Windows Media Player doesn't rip the last sector.
korth

Reply #13
You can also rip in foobar2000 and verify with AccurateRip.  Although if your CD is damaged, it probably won't accurately rip.  If it sounds ok, that's good enough for me.

Reply #14
Windows Media Player doesn't rip the last sector.
Oh fuck, it is even more retarded ...
(*rant about how Microsoft had WMP fuck over metadata, pushed Zune, made WMA and doesn't support it, made WMAL and doesn't support it, doesn't know ID3v2.4, ...*)