Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: One WAV (Copy Image & Create CUE sheet) (Read 4664 times) previous topic - next topic

One WAV (Copy Image & Create CUE sheet)

When using the "Copy Image & Create CUE sheet" from within EAC, you
get one big fat .wav file.  How do you specify the name of the
individual tracks when compressing with FLAC?

Is using the facility of the CUE sheet (CD-Text way of specifying
track names) what will be used by a future FLAC Winamp plug-in?

I already asked this 2 times in the past but never got an answer.  I
don't want to FLAC all my CDs to find out in a couple of months that
the new plug-in is actually using a new VORBIS tag....

Thanks !!

Reply #1
You can't do it with Flac's cuesheet implementation. It just doesn't store info about the tracks.

Your best bet is to keep the cuesheet EAC produces.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #2
You can't do it with Flac's cuesheet implementation. It just doesn't store info about the tracks.

Your best bet is to keep the cuesheet EAC produces.

Hmmm... I think I didn't explain myself correctly.

With EAC, you can generate a CUE sheet.  Embedded into that CUE sheet are (if you wish) the name of the tracks comprising the CD you are ripping.  You can obtain the track names from freedb or edit the names yourself.

Now, using FLAC, you can embed the CUE sheet generated by EAC into your FLAC file.  You use "flac --cuesheet=FILENAME" on the command line.  I tried it and it works.

The problem is, the current Winamp FLAC plugin does _not_ deal with these CUE sheets at all.  I was just asking if the Winamp FLAC plugin will be updated to support embedded CUE sheets generated by EAC.  Will it be able to extract the track names from that CUE sheet?

If not, what is the accepted way of dealing with "one wav, one album" track listing with FLAC?

Reply #3
The plugin will be updated. but you won't be able to see the track names from the embedded cue sheet because they are not stored in the cuesheet block
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #4
The plugin will be updated. but you won't be able to see the track names from the embedded cue sheet because they are not stored in the cuesheet block

Is there an independant web page dedicated to the Winamp plug-in of FLAC or is it just part of the CVS tree?  I will need to check that out.

Is there a FLAC mailing-list?

I found this link and it seems that when one uses the --cuesheet=FILENAME option, the EAC CUE sheet referenced by FILENAME is actually stored in the CUESHEET metadata block.

Can you tell me your source of information?

[edit]
hmm.. if this is the most up to date CVS tree, the Winamp 2 plug-in hasn't been touched for 2 months now...
[/edit]

Reply #5
FLAC Mailing List:  http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=13478 (for now...I think they'll move to Xiph.org sometime soon)

Yes, using --cuesheet=FILENAME imports an EAC cuesheet to a FLAC file.  However, even if your EAC cuesheet has track names and other such information, what gets stored by FLAC is a stripped-down version that doesn't contain that information.  I believe I read somewhere that this was done because of some non-standardness with EAC's cuesheets that caused problems.  If you have tried importing a cuesheet into FLAC, use "metaflac --list" to look at what actually got imported.

Reply #6
FLAC Mailing List:  http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=13478 (for now...I think they'll move to Xiph.org sometime soon)

Yes, using --cuesheet=FILENAME imports an EAC cuesheet to a FLAC file.  However, even if your EAC cuesheet has track names and other such information, what gets stored by FLAC is a stripped-down version that doesn't contain that information.  I believe I read somewhere that this was done because of some non-standardness with EAC's cuesheets that caused problems.  If you have tried importing a cuesheet into FLAC, use "metaflac --list" to look at what actually got imported.

Well, you are totally right.  Using "metaflac --export-cuesheet-to=FILENAME" creates a CUE sheet empty of the extra information generated by EAC (most importantly, the track names).

The question still remain.  What is the best way to store the track names of a single wav file representing a complete album?

IMHO, FLAC-only VORBIS-style comments should be used.  There should be a tag called "track names" which is actually a comma-delimited list representing the track names.  (or something like that...

Reply #7
I am looking to do the same thing.  I have all my CD's ripped to MP3 with --r3mix and --api.  I am planning on re-ripping to lossles once this issue is resolved and I know I wont have re-enter tags.  The flac developer seems to be coming up with a solution with a GUI he is making.  The workaround to not having filenames in the CUE sheet will be using the cue sheet to access freedb or the likes.  See the thread bellow.

This link

Reply #8
I am looking to do the same thing.  I have all my CD's ripped to MP3 with --r3mix and --api.  I am planning on re-ripping to lossles once this issue is resolved and I know I wont have re-enter tags.  The flac developer seems to be coming up with a solution with a GUI he is making.  The workaround to not having filenames in the CUE sheet will be using the cue sheet to access freedb or the likes.  See the thread bellow.

This link

Thanks a lot for this information.

I am sorry I missed this recent thread.

I am not too fond of the idea of having a seperate local metadata index.  I love the monolitic approach of having all the information inside the FLAC file.

...I didn't put as much thought into it as John must have done.  I wonder what is the rationale behind this decision though.