Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Boost bass to 0db like Electri-Q does (Read 1459 times) previous topic - next topic

Boost bass to 0db like Electri-Q does

Hello,

I can measure the output level of my spdif using a miniDSP2x4HD. In its software I can monitor the peak in dbFS.

Electri-Q Equaliser in Winamp can boost the bass up to the maximum of 0db. Very nice.
With the foobar build in 18 band equaliser I can boost the bass only up to -2 db.

Why is the bass only be boostable up to -2db an not to 0db ?

The 32 band equaliser foo_dsp_xgeq produces distortion at a certain bass bost level, so it's not useable for me. I need the 0db signal for my bass shakers that tolerate a 0db signal.
So why driving shakers with a -2 db signal when you can have a 0 db signal that produces stronger vibration ?

Currently I do not reach 0 db with foobar :(

Replaygain ist boosted to +20 db (both sliders) for internet radios & mp3 with option "apply gain according to peak & prevent clipping".

Re: Boost bass to 0db like Electri-Q does

Reply #1
I tried Electri-Q with foo_dsp_vstwrap but that does not work. The output signal is not affected by equalizer changements.

Reply #2
IIRC: you need to add this VST wrapper into the list of Active DSPs.

Reply #3
@Andre0815:  I had just assumed you already did what Ivqcl just posted when responding to your posts in the thread here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=118802.0 .  Of course, you must have the wrapper in your active DSP list for it to work.

Reply #4
Oh I have added "George Yohng VST Wrapper" as active DSP and foobar now crashes when I try to adjust Electri-Q equalizer setting.

George Yohng ... is set as onliest active DSP.

May anybody of you can test Electri-Q if its running with George Yohng .. that would be nice:  http://www.pcjv.de/VST/Electri-Q_Install_1.8.8.exe

Reply #5
Maybe try foo_dsp_xgeq? It's also known to have a much smoother transition band across frequencies compared to the bundled equalizer.

Reply #7
Oops. I can't read. It's also worth pointing out that any bass boost will produce distortion if it causes the total level of the signal to exceed ±1.0. You have to try more for reducing the rest of the signal, rather than boosting the bass.

Reply #8
May anybody of you can test Electri-Q if its running with George Yohng .. that would be nice:  http://www.pcjv.de/VST/Electri-Q_Install_1.8.8.exe 
    I have a pretty severe high-freq hearing loss and use Electri-Q to compensate in Foobar.
I think it's  a great equalizer, very transparent and i have detected no clipping, etc.   To that end, my curve is -10db, with max boost at 0db (as shown on the equalizer, I don't have any way to actually measure it.)    You can create any curve you desire with it.
   However, since the developer abandoned it, the program is very buggy - presets often don't work, and initial setup is not easy.
 Would be nice if the developer fixed the bugs, but I like it overall.
Works fine here with the Yeong wrapper.

Reply #9
Hey Larryg. Cool that you have it running !

I gave Electri-Q v1.8.8 another test with George Yohng'S VST Wrapper v1.2.  I have deinstalled the secondary VST Wfapper foo_vst, so the George Y.. VST WRapper is the onliest installed wrapper and the onliest active DSP.

With this configuration I have succesfully editet the bass curve in the equalizer via toolbar-menü and restarted foobar.
-> Now foobar stops playing the song when I activate Electri-Q. When I set the wrapper to "bypass" then foobar resumes playing
I can edit the equalizer curve when nothing plays. Pressing Play results in stop. Enable bypass resumes playing, activating Electri-Q results in stop while foobar is in play mode.   courious    I run a naked foobar 1.5.1  I reinited the foobar config via button and I activated "Steinberg Mode" in the wrapper with the same behavior like described before ..

Do you have like me the v1.2 version number of George Yohng... and Electri-Q v1.8.8  ? ?

greats

Reply #10
I gave Electri-Q v1.8.8 another test with George Yohng'S VST Wrapper v1.2. 
With this configuration I have succesfully editet the bass curve in the equalizer via toolbar-menü and restarted foobar.
-> Now foobar stops playing the song when I activate Electri-Q. When I set the wrapper to "bypass" then foobar resumes playing

Andre,
        Apologies for not responding sooner, I don't check this forum too often....
I'm sorry but don't have any idea why this is happening - I don't recall having this problem myself.
Most of my problems were fixed when I updated  the ASIO driver.    Now it all is stable and working well  - except, as I said, the bugs in Electri-Q, like presets don't work (they did at one time, then went away).  But it will let me create and save ONE curve, so I'm happy with that.

Do you have like me the v1.2 version number of George Yohng... and Electri-Q v1.8.8  ? ?

This is what I'm running
        ASUS XONAR Essence STX audio card
        Foobar v1.4.8   in 64-bit ASIO mode
        Electri-Q posihfopit edition  (comes bundled with the v1.8.8 exe)
         Yohng'S VST 1.2
         Meier Crossfeed

Good luck...