Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [split] old software vs new software (Read 3884 times) previous topic - next topic

[split] old software vs new software

Just because WinAMP 2.x has stopped development, is there some reason to suddenly stop using it?

There's a philosophy that seems to suggest a necessity of constant upgrading, and that a software app is outdated the moment a new version comes out.  I reject that philosophy as outdated, especially now that computers are very powerful and Win32 is the standard for a long time to come.

In fact, in some cases, older software is much better than the newer versions.  So why should PP keep updating for that piece of crap WinAMP 3.x?  His current plugins for 2.x will stand for a long time (or use Foobar, if u like... I like Winamp).

Reply #1
Just because WinAMP 2.x has stopped development, is there some reason to suddenly stop using it?

There's a philosophy that seems to suggest a necessity of constant upgrading, and that a software app is outdated the moment a new version comes out.  I reject that philosophy as outdated, especially now that computers are very powerful and Win32 is the standard for a long time to come.

In fact, in some cases, older software is much better than the newer versions.  So why should PP keep updating for that piece of crap WinAMP 3.x?  His current plugins for 2.x will stand for a long time (or use Foobar, if u like... I like Winamp).

I too am very reluctant to upgrade my software. I went directly from Winamp 1.92 to 2.79 and I still use Paint Shop Pro 4.0 ~anno 1995. I still used WinNT4 and MSOffice97 in February 2002.

While I may be quite happy using my good old unsupported software, doing so is not without risk. Evil people will probably find a way to exploit the software package and compromise my system.

There has just been a nasty exploit to Winamp v2.81 and 3. Nullsoft has fixed both versions. They might not have done it if the exploit was found December 2003, 2004, ...

I was perfectly happy with NT4 and Office97. But there are known unfixed exploits and Microsoft doesn't have a care in the world. Using these programs would be like inviting trouble.

Reply #2
Hi Annuka,

Good point about exploits & vulnerabilities... although a lot of it seems to be theoretical as opposed to actual.  In other words, MS Word 97 might have serious vulnerabilities, but it seems pretty unusual that these are exploited.

As time goes on, the security issues regarding old software will probably become less of an issue, since those using older versions of software will become the minority.  Eventually, even once-serious issues will basically be non-issues.

I no longer have *any* hangup about sticking with "older" versions of software, if the older version is the better one!  The only thing I look at is possible hacks/vulnerabilities, and in most cases there are patches available.  In cases where there aren't, often there's no known/reported incidence of anyone actually taking advantage of the exploits.

fewtch

Reply #3
As time goes on, the security issues regarding old software will probably become less of an issue, since those using older versions of software will become the minority.  Eventually, even once-serious issues will basically be non-issues.

I have to disagree with you.

If you want to take down, say a Win2000 server, a very good method is to try every Win2000 exploit one by one. The first 78 exploits might be patched, but maybe the sysadm forgot a little detail or did something studpid etc. One of my servers at work was hacked like this.

I am sure the file sharing networks will be flooded with infected mp3s soon. These will live forever, since people with patched systems won't know they are infected. At some point, someone will write a vira, that infects all mp3s on a computer.

Reply #4
At some point, someone will write a vira, that infects all mp3s on a computer.

I'd be willing to bet the RIAA is researching such a possibility right now.  It would be the perfect 'solution' to filesharing for them.

Reply #5
As time goes on, the security issues regarding old software will probably become less of an issue, since those using older versions of software will become the minority.  Eventually, even once-serious issues will basically be non-issues.

I have to disagree with you.

If you want to take down, say a Win2000 server, a very good method is to try every Win2000 exploit one by one. The first 78 exploits might be patched, but maybe the sysadm forgot a little detail or did something studpid etc. One of my servers at work was hacked like this.

I am sure the file sharing networks will be flooded with infected mp3s soon. These will live forever, since people with patched systems won't know they are infected. At some point, someone will write a vira, that infects all mp3s on a computer.

Well, I'll agree to disagree... but I have to wonder why nobody's bothering with such "exploits" as MS-DOS viruses and Win95 internet hacks much anymore (remember the Win95 attack that crashed computers?).  Once the software is old enough so the masses have moved on, the risk decreases imho.  OS's running as servers might be a different story (servers are always prime targets for hackers). 

As for MP3's I think they're a special case.  Since they're not an executable file type, it's not possible to create a "true" MP3 virus -- the vulnerabilities lie with the OS and/or programs that display the tags.  Remove the ID3 tags and there's no "virus."

Reply #6
There's a philosophy that seems to suggest a necessity of constant upgrading, and that a software app is outdated the moment a new version comes out. 
[...]
In fact, in some cases, older software is much better than the newer versions.

Is that why you are still listening to Vinyl? 

I still used WinNT4 and MSOffice97 in February 2002.
Hehe... I STILL use Excel 95. B)

If you are not up-to-date every moment, new software offers more attack-points than closing old security holes, IMHO.

Reply #7
There's a philosophy that seems to suggest a necessity of constant upgrading, and that a software app is outdated the moment a new version comes out.  
[...]
In fact, in some cases, older software is much better than the newer versions.

Is that why you are still listening to Vinyl?

Well, since you asked... 

No.  Actually I listen to vinyl mainly cuz the older "software" often isn't available on CD at all.  In fact, the back catalog of music never released on CD is enormous (but that's for another thread).

Reply #8
is that why win xp has so many security holes now that still haven't been patched ?