Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Could someone identify whats wrong with this vinyl rip? (Read 3063 times) previous topic - next topic

Could someone identify whats wrong with this vinyl rip?

Here's the vinyl page here
http://www.discogs.com/Nottz-Raw-x-Asher-R...release/2951117

Now, when I listen to this, I notice is sounds worse than the 128kpbs originally released format, and when I use replaygain, all the songs have like over -10dB, where as the original mp3 sourced version does not.Could anyone explain this to me so I could better understand why is this so?

MODERATION: LINKS REMOVED PER TOS #9

Reply #1
(I didn't listen to your file, because I'm at work...)

Now, when I listen to this, I notice is sounds worse than the 128kpbs originally released format

What's your question?  You're wondering why the vinyl sounds worse than the MP3?  Maybe because it's analog vinyl!    Maybe it was recorded (digitized) from a cheap turntable/cartridge?

Some audiophiles love vinyl, but to me, MP3s ripped from CD normally sound much better than vinyl.  (Most of my MP3's are higher than 128kbps, and all of my vinyl is very old...  But even in the old "vinyl days", most records did not sound that good.)

...and when I use replaygain, all the songs have like over -10dB, where as the original mp3 sourced version does not.
That depends on how loud it was recorded, if there was clipping, and if it was normalized, etc.  Did you do the vinyl transfer, or was it done by someone else?  The mastering might be different too.

Reply #2
I downloaded and looked at/listened to the first track - whoever did the vinyl rip smashed the living hell out of it with a post-rip limiter, or - probably more likely - had the gain of their sound card set way, way too high for the capture.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."