Skip to main content

Topic: R128Norm (Read 38562 times) previous topic - next topic

• Case
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
R128Norm
Reply #50
You do not need to disable ReplayGain to use this normalizer. From your post I kind of got the impression you consider this a ReplayGain replacement. If you merely want to see how R128 loudness scanner's result differ from the old ReplayGain scanner just scan your files again with the built-in scanner. It uses the R128 method nowadays.

• EpicForever
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
R128Norm
Reply #51
Is this possible to make any configuration for this component available? Maybe it will help tune this plugin to work better? It could be nice to listening music at night with this plugin , but I noticed that mostly it works bit to slow. When there is quieter part in track, at first it is played at low volume, after some time (about 1 - 1,5s) quiet becomes loud enough. When loud parts come back, then at first moment they are bit louder than they should be, but after some time (like several seconds) they have proper volume. Other thing is that I have impression that quiet parts, after making them louder, are even louder than parts that are regularly loud. Is there any update for this plugin expected?

• Aldem
  • [*][*][*]
R128Norm
Reply #52
Is this possible to make any configuration for this component available? Maybe it will help tune this plugin to work better? It could be nice to listening music at night with this plugin , but I noticed that mostly it works bit to slow. When there is quieter part in track, at first it is played at low volume, after some time (about 1 - 1,5s) quiet becomes loud enough. When loud parts come back, then at first moment they are bit louder than they should be, but after some time (like several seconds) they have proper volume. Other thing is that I have impression that quiet parts, after making them louder, are even louder than parts that are regularly loud. Is there any update for this plugin expected?

For symphonic, classical, ambiant, etc, I still use V-Level. I think kode54 said somthing about being able to change "some" settings in the next release.

• EpicForever
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
R128Norm
Reply #53
For symphonic you've said... How about for progressive and melodic trance?

• EpicForever
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
R128Norm
Reply #54
I can't edit my older post so I have to double post. For trance vlevel also works better... On default settings. Even on Sunny Lax'es "M.I.R.A." which has serious level dropdown in the middle of the track vlevel works very good, as well as on several Oliver Smith tracks. Or on Kyau vs Albert's "Falling Anywhere". On Original Mix of Menno de Jong's "Guanxi", Nitrous Oxide's "Morning Light"... Vlevel everywhere works better for me.

• xapz
  • [*]
R128Norm
Reply #55
Really like this component, it's almost perfect. Using it when converting different songs for one use case. MP3 player for sport, USB flash drive for in the car, etc.

My car stereo lacks some performance unfortunately. The default reference loudness level makes sense, but I'd like to be able to adjust it for in this case. The files are all so low after conversion, that my weak sauce of what can barely be called a car stereo won't produce an acceptable level of loudness for my needs.

I know I can boost the signal with otherwise, but I'm not into the whole matter and would prefer to keep it as simple as possible.

tl;dl: Suggestion - Include an "oomph mode" that produces much higher output levels by choosing a higher reference loudness level.

Thanks for all your time and work you put into all these countless tools. Much appreciated.

• mire777
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
R128Norm
Reply #56
I use VST plugin to boost sound..
But possibility to choose a higher loudness level would be great..

• xapz
  • [*]
R128Norm
Reply #57
Sure, adding more DSPs/VSTs are an alternative do increase volume/loudness. But since I'm really happy with how the R128 stuff does its thing, there's actually no need for additional DSPs, if you could just select different reference levels as a setting.

• carpman
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
R128Norm
Reply #58
Here's what I'd do (until r128Norm has an option to alter reference levels). This DSP chain can be setup for conversion only:

DSPs:
  • r128Norm
  • Graphic Equalizer  (just to boost volume) say +6dB
  • Advanced Limiter (this will ensure no samples clip)

There may well be better ways to do this - but I do something similar and this works for me.

C.
  • Last Edit: 06 November, 2014, 05:45:32 AM by carpman
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

• xapz
  • [*]
R128Norm
Reply #59
Sounds like a reasonable approach. Thanks for the suggestion.

• joel555
  • [*]
Re: R128Norm
Reply #60
I started using the foo_r128norm component in foobar about 3 weeks ago. I like how it handles flac, ape, wv files etc. but when I play an SACD iso file it usually comes out too quiet. Perhaps kode54 could test this for me?

• kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #61
If you're using the SACD component's ASIO output method, it bypasses all DSPs and goes straight to your sound device. Or at least I assume as much, since DSP chains rightly can't process DSD content directly.

• rizukitomi
  • [*]
Reply #62
@kode54 is there a chance you make standalone app for this dsp ?
qaac -cvbr 0 -he

• rizukitomi
  • [*]
Reply #63
@kode54 is there a chance you make standalone app for this dsp ?
I ask because I've been using this dsp for conversion in foobar, I've never use it as live dsp.
qaac -cvbr 0 -he

• kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #64
I don't even see how that would work. Maybe it would be more constructive to ask the author of VB-Audio Voicemeeter Banana to add such a thing to their software.