Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC playback now native in Windows Vista/WMP11? (Read 8638 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC playback now native in Windows Vista/WMP11?

I'm a hardcore WMP user, and had noticed when I upgraded to 11 that it was detecting my FLAC files and adding them to the library (albeit without reading the tags). This was back when I was using XP Pro SP2 with Illiminable filters and WMPTSE installed, however.

Now I use Vista Home Premium WITHOUT any filters or WMPTSE installed, and FLACs are showing up and being added as before. Except now I can play them. The progress slider doesn't work and tags still don't show up, but right now I'm listening to a Nine Inch Nails FLAC "Heresy" with nothing else installed.

Are there any other Vista/WMP11 users that have noticed this lately? I'm hoping that full native FLAC support is on its way soon, maybe...?

Can anyone else confirm this?
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #1
I had a similiar situation, but WMP 11 is recognizing WavPack files WITHOUT any filters or WMPTSE installed (does WMPTSE work for WavePack?). I don't know about FLAC files because I have the Illiminable filters installed for that so WMP just plays them. When tracks are added to the library, either for WavePack for FLAC, only the song titles show up. No album info or anything else.

I am using Vista Home Basic.

Reply #2
I just tried a fresh install of WMP11 on an XP machine that never had iliiminable/coreflac codecs... no FLAC support.  dragging FLAC files into a playlist did nothing and adding dirs with FLAC files to the library did nothing.

(unless there is some auto update that did not get loaded?  I don't see a way to force a check for updates, in the options all you can do is set the update frequency.)

Reply #3
@jcoalson: the standard FLAC install doesn't contain any filters, does it? Just making sure so we're not discussing nonsense. Thanks. Also, try forcing a Windows Update... updates to WMP are often delivered via that method

@SnTholiday: Yes, WMPTSE works for WavPack files too, according to its homepage

Reply #4
LANjackal, have you installed any codec packs such as ffdshow?
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #5
@jcoalson: the standard FLAC install doesn't contain any filters, does it? Just making sure so we're not discussing nonsense. Thanks. Also, try forcing a Windows Update... updates to WMP are often delivered via that method

nope, the installer doesn't have any filters.  I did a windows update, which got some patch for wmp but still no FLAC support.

Reply #6
LANjackal, have you installed any codec packs such as ffdshow?
Nope. I have no 3rd party DirectShow filters or codec packs installed on this machine at all, period. I just ran down my "Programs and Features" list (the same as "Add/Remove Programs" in XP) to make sure. I do run dbPoweramp that integrates with the shell, but that can't be it either.

@jcoalson: well I guess it doesn't work for XP then

Can anyone else who runs Vista try a FLAC file for me? Thanks.

Reply #7
I assembled a new computer system and installed Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit with WMP 11 recently.  I couldn't play FLACs or load them in the library until I installed the FLAC Codec. 

Does the 64-bit version install all the same options.  I also wonder if it makes a difference based on choices during the install process.  Did you have FLAC files resident on the computer during the installation?

EDIT: Nevermind my last question.  I wonder if the fact that your computer might have contained FLAC files during the installation process made a difference.

Reply #8
@jeffer: My computer is a retail Toshiba with Vista preinstalled. Apparently I'm the only one this is happening to, but hey *shrugs*

Reply #9
With pre-installed OSes, the manufacturers often add lots of extra software.

Someone who has a boxed copy of Vista should do a clean install on a VM and see if it will play FLACs.

Reply #11
OK. Oh well.

I guess I'm just the lucky one? Wonder where my PC got that capability from? I can't find anything installed that indicates that it could do that.

Reply #12
just tried again, no FLAC...

Reply #13
just tried again, no FLAC...
Yeah I just called off the hunt. I think I'll chalk this up as an anomaly on my end.

Reply #14
I think the answer is in the bundleware that came with your laptop.
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #15
You could try dropping a flac file in say graphedit and see what filters are loaded.