Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Marantz 2220b (Read 20000 times) previous topic - next topic

Marantz 2220b

Reply #25
Mine is almost identical in appearance, but is not a Marantz 2220b, it's a Marantz 2225, and it still rocks. We are happy with it.

I saw in the list provided by Pearson:

http://www.retroaudio.ru/marantz/index.shtml

...i saw the 2225L is there, but not my 2225.  I don't see differences, thought.

Marantz 2220b

Reply #27
fetchw, that could be. I know that Rega turntable is second-hand, and I believe Arny Krueger is not a great vinyl expert. Also, it seems that in a few ocassions there have been some errors in his measurements. It would be a good thing to ask him to read this reply at rec.audio.tech or rec.audio.high.end, although he's very combative.

However, I still believe that frequency response of a good vinyl setup can very hardly approximate to the one of a medium quality cd player, for the reasons I gave.

Marantz 2220b

Reply #28
fetchw, that could be. I know that Rega turntable is second-hand, and I believe Arny Krueger is not a great vinyl expert. Also, it seems that in a few ocassions there have been some errors in his measurements. It would be a good thing to ask him to read this reply at rec.audio.tech or rec.audio.high.end, although he's very combative.

However, I still believe that frequency response of a good vinyl setup can very hardly approximate to the one of a medium quality cd player, for the reasons I gave.

If he's combative, I don't want to confront him with it (I'm not combative, although I used to be -- life is just too short).  It's too short to argue "vinyl vs. CD" too... all I ask anyone to acknowledge is there's a huge back-catalog of music that was never released on CD and existing only on vinyl.  For some of us, this is a critical factor (aside from the SQ issues).

I also have that HFN test record, and I can verify that it was used totally incorrectly in the PCAVTech test.  Especially the THD figures -- the tracks used for that are recorded at +15dB, +18DB and etc (heavily overmodulated on the record). in order to set antiskating for minimum distortion:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/hfnrrdisc_e.html

I'd like to politely request that you don't advertise or post that PCAVTech link anymore as an example, until a proper test is performed and more details are revealed (and can be verified by outside parties).

Thanks,

fewtch