Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AES 2009 Audio Myths Workshop (Read 166693 times) previous topic - next topic

AES 2009 Audio Myths Workshop

Reply #75
Ethan's conjecture is that the stacking of component characteristic is a myth, because it can be simply eliminated by applying a single inverse "value" of the characteristic, to the summed master.

In this definition, he elaborates by saying that if a component put a 3dB 'bump' at a certain frequency, and you used that component on 10 tracks, then you don't need to remove 30dB of "bump" from the master, but only 3dB.  So far so good.  But then he pollutes this by saying that you can completely compensate using one 3dB inverse function. 

That's the rub!  you can NOT completely compensate!  Because it's non-linear!!!!!

I don't follow here.  If you have a summer with N inputs, and the identical linear filter in each of the N paths leading to the summer, then barring nonlinearity you can (conceptually) move that linear filter after the summer.  This assumes no limiters. compressors, clipping op-amps or other grossly nonlinear devices in the chain between the filter and the summer.  If that linear filter is minimum-phase, then its inverse is stable and you can correct for the filter's inclusion with a single filter at the summer output that implements the reciprocal of the transfer function of the original filter.

Actually, you apparently follow quite well.  I agree completely with your characterization, EXCEPT that you're not describing a real-world system, but a hypothetical one, that you'd be hard pressed to discover in actual use.
Also, it isn't just frequency and amplitude where f(x) can manifest.  Imagine that you have a component that acts as an all-pass, but has a non-linear phase response.  Stack those puppies up and try to apply an inverse.  Not gonna happen!

The issue there is that analog all-pass filters are non-minimum phase devices, so their inverse is unstable.  That's why you can't in general compensate for their effects in an exact way.

again, we're in complete agreement.
the important thing here is the realize that you must be EXTREMELY careful how you generalize a statement.  You can take a perfectly true fact, and make it false by applying it too broadly.

This points out the need to qualify one's statements.  As above, the filter must be linear and minimum-phase and all the components in each path from the filter to the summer must be linear for the correction to work.  So generalizing is not always possible.  Yet you're also getting on Ethan's case for qualifying his statements.  You're telling him, in effect, that he shouldn't qualify his statements, nor should he generalize them.

It doesn't NEED to be minimum-phase, but that would be nice.  It just needs to be linear phase as well as frequency and amplitude linear.

I'll give an example.  I have a hypothetical component that is frequency linear.  It demonstrates THD + IMD of 0.000002 %.  (again, I DID say hypothetical).  But that component has a non-linear phase response.  So, it tests VERY well.  It's spec looks BEAUTIFUL.  But it cannot have it's phase non-linearity removed once summed with other tracks.  The phase problem in the source has been turned into a frequency problem in the sum.  And it's dynamic, so we're "screwed".

Now, I play this hypothetical example for someone of reasonable facility in the art, and then play Ethan's video.  What is his only possible response?

It is exactly this kind of case that I'm worried about.  It's the qualitative nature of the qualifications he makes about the system.  They have to be well-bounded and rigorous.  Now, this will confuse some people who like nice, easy answers.  But the answer can only be as easy as it can be.  If you make it any easier, then you've made it "wrong".

dwoz

Reply #76
By the way, I just have to share.

I went to a site recently, "mitcables.com" and read a white paper on "articulation" of cables.

...in which the bozo that wrote it discussed how important it was to have "articulate" cables.

He apparently put up some impedance plots of some equipment (like you see for speakers and such, to show their resonance, etc.), but instead of calling it impedance vs. frequency, he called it "articulation" vs. frequency.

Is there any jurisdiction in this world where this guy can LEGALLY have his O2 input attenuated by, say, 55dB?

I'd do the honors.

dwoz

Reply #77
Actually, you apparently follow quite well.  I agree completely with your characterization, EXCEPT that you're not describing a real-world system, but a hypothetical one, that you'd be hard pressed to discover in actual use.

Okay, but if one is trying to have a productive discussion, it's helpful for each side to completely understand what the other is saying.  Toward that end, it's often useful to start with an idealized scenario that everyone can agree on, then start introducing non-ideal elements one by one to get to the real-world system.

It doesn't NEED to be minimum-phase, but that would be nice.  It just needs to be linear phase as well as frequency and amplitude linear.

I'm saying that in the scenario I outlined, with identical filters ahead of the summer, in order to correct for the effects of the filter it must be minimum-phase.  If it isn't, its inverse is unstable and one cannot correct for it.

I'll give an example.  I have a hypothetical component that is frequency linear.  It demonstrates THD + IMD of 0.000002 %.  (again, I DID say hypothetical).  But that component has a non-linear phase response.  So, it tests VERY well.  It's spec looks BEAUTIFUL.  But it cannot have it's phase non-linearity removed once summed with other tracks.

Are you talking about just a single filter in one branch of the summer?  I'm not sure.  What I'm talking about is an identical filter in each path to the input of the summer.  In the scenario I'm talking about, the phase nonlinearity of said filter is a non-issue.  In fact, all lumped-parameter analog filters have nonlinear phase response.  In my scenario, minimum-phase is the only requirement to be able to correct for the filter's presence.  But again, I'm assuming an identical filter in each branch.  If that's different from what you're assuming, please spell out what's different.

The phase problem in the source has been turned into a frequency problem in the sum.  And it's dynamic, so we're "screwed".

I don't follow.  Please spell out as specifically as possible the scenario you're referring to.  Also, as someone else mentioned, it would help to know which position in Ethan's video you're referring to.  I downloaded it but haven't looked at it since shortly after he first released it.

Reply #78
I'll give an example.  I have a hypothetical component that is frequency linear.  It demonstrates THD + IMD of 0.000002 %.  (again, I DID say hypothetical).  But that component has a non-linear phase response.  So, it tests VERY well.  It's spec looks BEAUTIFUL.  But it cannot have it's phase non-linearity removed once summed with other tracks.

Are you talking about just a single filter in one branch of the summer?  I'm not sure.  What I'm talking about is an identical filter in each path to the input of the summer.  In the scenario I'm talking about, the phase nonlinearity of said filter is a non-issue.  In fact, all lumped-parameter analog filters have nonlinear phase response.  In my scenario, minimum-phase is the only requirement to be able to correct for the filter's presence.  But again, I'm assuming an identical filter in each branch.  If that's different from what you're assuming, please spell out what's different.

I'm sorry, I'm talking about a more real-world extension of your hypothetical.  Instead of "component", use the word "filter" as you have.  But back to the "real world" issue...As soon as you introduce a reactive impedance into your circuit, I think you give up the ability to talk about minimum-phase AND frequency magnitude.  Thus, only in the hypothetical world can you both have your cake and eat it too.

The phase problem in the source has been turned into a frequency problem in the sum.  And it's dynamic, so we're "screwed".

I don't follow.  Please spell out as specifically as possible the scenario you're referring to.  Also, as someone else mentioned, it would help to know which position in Ethan's video you're referring to.  I downloaded it but haven't looked at it since shortly after he first released it.

This is the problem...Ethan does not cover this.  I can construct a set of files that demonstrate a stacking effect that cannot be removed via an inverse function on the sum, and this WILL be used by somebody to jam a shiv into Ethan's argument...much the way my "anonymous nym" is used to invalidate my points.  Neither are fair, but both are fair game.

Reply #79

With a couple reasonable assumptions around signal level and dither, a digital console or workstation absolutely operates as an ideal linear system.

Reply #80
I'm sorry, I'm talking about a more real-world extension of your hypothetical.  Instead of "component", use the word "filter" as you have.  But back to the "real world" issue...As soon as you introduce a reactive impedance into your circuit, I think you give up the ability to talk about minimum-phase AND frequency magnitude.  Thus, only in the hypothetical world can you both have your cake and eat it too.

Minimum-phase is just a property that can be ascribed to some linear circuits.  This includes reactive impedances (inductance, capacitance, etc).  If it's linear, the relationship between its input and its output in the frequency domain is completely described by its transfer function.  The transfer function for such a circuit also determines its time-domain behavior.  Of course, all real-world circuits are nonlinear to some degree, but many of them, such as low-distortion op-amps and other components, can be treated as if they were linear as long as they are operated within sensible limits.

Sometimes that's easier said than done though.  One can always, and easily, come up with ways to violate this.  Put an op-amp with a gain of 40 dB into a 40 dB pad and the usable output voltage swing will be reduced by 100x.  That's just one of an infinite number of examples one can come up with.

This is the problem...Ethan does not cover this.  I can construct a set of files that demonstrate a stacking effect that cannot be removed via an inverse function on the sum, and this WILL be used by somebody to jam a shiv into Ethan's argument...much the way my "anonymous nym" is used to invalidate my points.  Neither are fair, but both are fair game.

Well, I'm an anonymous guy too, so I won't hassle you about that .

I can draw a block diagram of what I'm talking about, scan and post it so there's no confusion.  But it's tune time for me now.  I have to stop at 10:00 PM, so I've got a little less than an hour and I don't like headphones much.

Reply #81
The all-pass discussion is muddying things. There is a tangle of audibility of phase changes and linear system behavior.

The contention that different phase responses are indistinguishable to the ear is debatable as far as I'm concerned. Here's a paper that discusses the issue.

An all-pass is a linear operation. You can apply it at the individual channels or at the sum and you'll get the same sound. What you can't do is apply different linear processes to the individual channels and expect to find some sort of transform that you can apply at the sum to give you the same sound (or invert the individual transforms).

Reply #82
I can construct a set of files that demonstrate a stacking effect that cannot be removed via an inverse function on the sum, and this WILL be used by somebody to jam a shiv into Ethan's argument.

Problem is, doing such a thing in no way invalidates Ethan's argument.

Reply #83

With a couple reasonable assumptions around signal level and dither, a digital console or workstation absolutely operates as an ideal linear system.

Right, and even the general run of analog consoles is very, very linear.

Reply #84

Right, and even the general run of analog consoles is very, very linear.

My previous answer to Notat's post was deleted in the lawnmower-fest that went through this thread this morning...

But I think that's a breathtaking assertion to make.  I don't agree at all.  But even if it were true, the point would be moot...the whole argument is not around the competence of the summing, but the competence of the source.  Give me a perfect console fed by garbage IO converters, and we have the same problem.

While we can talk about the concept in the hypothetical, that hypothetical should describe the system as a whole. 

While it's true that most people now choose a console based on workflow, than on sonics, the implication you're making is that analog console sonics are non-differentiable.  (for modern kit).    I think that's a bold statement to make that will get you in trouble later.

Reply #85
I can construct a set of files that demonstrate a stacking effect that cannot be removed via an inverse function on the sum, and this WILL be used by somebody to jam a shiv into Ethan's argument.

Which argument, the argument that stacking exists, or the relativistic one of whether a given average person can hear it in a DBT?

Reply #86
I just wanted to let people know that the stacking discussion in Ethan's video is at 28:28 (about half way into the video).

Reply #87
My previous answer to Notat's post was deleted in the lawnmower-fest that went through this thread this morning... But I think that's a breathtaking assertion to make.  I don't agree at all.
Before further forking this thread to discuss mathematical precision, please do us the favor of searching the forums for previous discussions. It is a topic most of us are quite familiar with. Here's one of the more recent discussions.

Implication you're making is that analog console sonics are non-differentiable.  (for modern kit).    I think that's a bold statement to make that will get you in trouble later.
Arnold said that analog consoles are linear. Linearity doesn't say a whole lot about about how a console sounds just that it doesn't generate certain types of distortion.

Reply #88

Which argument, the argument that stacking exists, or the relativistic one of whether a given average person can hear it in a DBT?

Are you now claiming that Ethan asserted that stacking doesn't even exist?

I've just listened to what Ethan said about stacking, and he seemed to provide orthodox information about of how stacking affects noise and distortion.

Please feel free to quote Ethan acurately, and show where he either  failed to explain stacking in an orthodox fashion, or where orthodox explanations of how stacking affects noise and distortion are wrong or incomplete.

Reply #89
My previous answer to Notat's post was deleted in the lawnmower-fest that went through this thread this morning... But I think that's a breathtaking assertion to make.  I don't agree at all.
Before further forking this thread to discuss mathematical precision, please do us the favor of searching the forums for previous discussions. It is a topic most of us are quite familiar with. Here's one of the more recent discussions.

Implication you're making is that analog console sonics are non-differentiable.  (for modern kit).    I think that's a bold statement to make that will get you in trouble later.

Arnold said that analog consoles are linear. Linearity doesn't say a whole lot about about how a console sounds just that it doesn't generate certain types of distortion.

Exactly.  Systems can have only 4 general kinds of signal response faults: linear distortion (frequency and/or phase response errors) , nonlinear distortion, random noise, and coherent interferring signals. There are no other known kinds of system signal response faults. The list is constrained by the 2-dimensional nature of electrical signals.  Any of them can cause a system to be readily differentiated by means of listening if they are severe enough. It is all about quantification. 

I only mentioned nonlinear distortion, so it is hard to understand how one might logically progress from my statement to a statement that system (in this case analog console) sonics are non-differentiable. Straw man, anyone? ;-)

I'm willing to stipuate that analog console sonics are often readily differentiated based on noise, interferring signals, and linear distortion.  IME one of the most common causes of  differentiatiable sonics may be frequency response variations caused by improperly centered or misdesigned or otherwise poorly implemented tone controls.  Another problem that I often observe is that it is virtually impossible to readjust the controls of an analog console so that you recreate the same mix within say +/- 0.1 dB. If you manually move the controls during the mix, then that is nearly impossible to recreate precisely as well.  Also, it is not unusual to find mic preamps (a standard component of most consoles) that relate to audible differences because they load some microphones differently in ways that affect the microphone's  frequency response. It is not uncommon to find mic preamps with with built-in fixed (butnot always well-documented) roll-offs on the order of -3 dB at 50 or 80 Hz, which can be easy to hear as well.

Doing a proper listening experiment to compare analog console sonics seems like a probable waste of time now that good digital consoles are so readily available.

Reply #90
...the whole argument is not around the competence of the summing, but the competence of the source.

It looks to me that just the opposite is true.  Here's my rationale.

Suppose the summer has N inputs: v1(t), v2(t), ... vN(t).  Further, assume v1(t) consists of two components:  the ideal, undistorted voltage v1i(t) that would appear if the upstream components were perfect, and the distortion components of v1(t) which I'll call v1d(t).  So v1(t)=v1i(t)+v1d(t), and the same for the rest of the N-1 input voltages.

Now assume the summer has no distortion, such that its output is given by:  vout(t) = A1*v1(t)+A2*v2(t)+...+AN*vN(t)

For each of v1(t), v2(t), ... vN(t), express it as the sum of its ideal and distortion components, then plug those expressions for v1(t), v2(t), ... vN(t) into to the one above for the output voltage of the summer.  It should be clear that the relationships between the distortion component of each signal and its ideal component at the output of the summer has not changed from what they are at the input.  This is just what Ethan said in his video.

Now assume the summer generates distortion itself.  It should be clear that the relationship of each input signal's distortion component to its ideal component will in general have changed, as well as there being intermodulation distortion between the N signals at the output.  If one assumes an analog summer implemented with a single invertiing op-amp and N summing resistors, then the more inputs the summer has, the larger its noise gain and the less feedback it has around it.  This means op-amp distortion increases as more inputs are added, due to the reduction of feedback.  So the recipe looks like, "add more inputs and the op-amp distortion increases, while at the same time there's more input signals to intermodulate with each other at the output".  This seems to me to be a very plausible explanation for the likely cause of reported stacking problems - in analog consoles at least.

Reply #91

Okay, but if one is trying to have a productive discussion, it's helpful for each side to completely understand what the other is saying.  Toward that end, it's often useful to start with an idealized scenario that everyone can agree on, then start introducing non-ideal elements one by one to get to the real-world system.

It would seem so, but the problem is that very often people who SHOULD know better fail to make the proper distinctions between the hypothetical example and real world situation and attempt to make extrapolations into the real world that simply are not valid. So often the "attempt to have a productive discussion" is in fact quite the opposite.

Reply #92

sez you. the reality is different unless you start piling on the qualifiers such as "within the stated pass band".

Reply #93

Minimum-phase is just a property that can be ascribed to some linear circuits.  This includes reactive impedances (inductance, capacitance, etc).  If it's linear, the relationship between its input and its output in the frequency domain is completely described by its transfer function.  The transfer function for such a circuit also determines its time-domain behavior.  Of course, all real-world circuits are nonlinear to some degree, but many of them, such as low-distortion op-amps and other components, can be treated as if they were linear as long as they are operated within sensible limits.

Sometimes that's easier said than done though.  One can always, and easily, come up with ways to violate this.  Put an op-amp with a gain of 40 dB into a 40 dB pad and the usable output voltage swing will be reduced by 100x.  That's just one of an infinite number of examples one can come up with.

Well, I'm an anonymous guy too, so I won't hassle you about that .

I can draw a block diagram of what I'm talking about, scan and post it so there's no confusion.  But it's tune time for me now.  I have to stop at 10:00 PM, so I've got a little less than an hour and I don't like headphones much.

You're making some dangerous assumptions here.

First, you're assuming that all components will always be operated strictly within their linear region which in pro audio is not always true.

Second you're assuming that all production examples of a specific part will always adhere strictly to their published spec. In reality this is NEVER the case - there is always a tolerance range. NO GIVEN PART EVER EXACTLY MATCHES THE SPEC SHEET. Usually the tolerances are "close enough for government work" - but not always, and the behavior of the real world device always deviates a little bit from ideal. Furthermore in real world systems these deviations from the ideal add up. Sometimes they add up in such a way that they cancel out, but sometimes they add up so as to reinforce the deviation.

Nothing, and only nothing, is perfect.

Reply #94
The all-pass discussion is muddying things. There is a tangle of audibility of phase changes and linear system behavior.

The contention that different phase responses are indistinguishable to the ear is debatable as far as I'm concerned. Here's a paper that discusses the issue.

An all-pass is a linear operation. You can apply it at the individual channels or at the sum and you'll get the same sound. What you can't do is apply different linear processes to the individual channels and expect to find some sort of transform that you can apply at the sum to give you the same sound (or invert the individual transforms).

In an experiment posted at The Womb, James (J_J) Johnston proved that phase is indeed audible.

Reply #95
You're making some dangerous assumptions here.

First, you're assuming that all components will always be operated strictly within their linear region which in pro audio is not always true.

Let's take a specific example - op-amps in an analog mixer.  When they are operated out of their linear region, in clipping, the result is very bad sound.  Op-amps have very low distortion up to clipping because of high feedback.  But as soon as clipping occurs, all bets are off because the clipping is so abrupt.  So clipping an op-amp is a pretty terrible error, but may go unnoticed if it only occurs for a brief instant.

Second you're assuming that all production examples of a specific part will always adhere strictly to their published spec. In reality this is NEVER the case - there is always a tolerance range. NO GIVEN PART EVER EXACTLY MATCHES THE SPEC SHEET.

Not sure where you got that one.  It wasn't from my post, as I said nothing even resembling that.  Spec sheets give a range of values, so there is literally no concept of "EXACTLY MATCHES THE SPEC SHEET".  In the absence of a failed part, they should within the tolerances specified by the spec sheet, provided they are tested in the same way as the spec sheet.

Reply #96

Exactly.  Systems can have only 4 general kinds of signal response faults: linear distortion (frequency and/or phase response errors) , nonlinear distortion, random noise, and coherent interferring signals. There are no other known kinds of system signal response faults. The list is constrained by the 2-dimensional nature of electrical signals.  Any of them can cause a system to be readily differentiated by means of listening if they are severe enough. It is all about quantification. 

I only mentioned nonlinear distortion, so it is hard to understand how one might logically progress from my statement to a statement that system (in this case analog console) sonics are non-differentiable. Straw man, anyone? ;-)

That's very interesting, Arnold.  Can you elaborate on these 4 characteristics?  In stating this, you seem to be rebutting Ethan's own 4 characteristics.  could you provide some proof of this?  I'd be interested to see it.  Can you elaborate on the windowing you'd have to do to get relevant usable numbers out of those 4 characteristics?

The source of my confusion with respect to your statement about linearity of consoles, comes from my perhaps limited understanding of what you mean by LINEAR.  In Ethan's nomenclature, a component that has the kind of great specs you mention, particularly a level of linearity in that range, are what he calls "transparent".  In my understanding, a high degree of transparency means that the component itself doesn't impart any "sound" to the audio.  Thus, two highly transparent components would sound pretty much the same.  This is what Ethan says, and it sounds pretty much true.  Are you then rebutting him?  If you're not, then I'm sure I have no idea what you mean by "linear".

could you please elaborate?

I'm willing to stipuate that analog console sonics are often readily differentiated based on noise, interferring signals, and linear distortion.  IME one of the most common causes of  differentiatiable sonics may be frequency response variations caused by improperly centered or misdesigned or otherwise poorly implemented tone controls.  Another problem that I often observe is that it is virtually impossible to readjust the controls of an analog console so that you recreate the same mix within say +/- 0.1 dB. If you manually move the controls during the mix, then that is nearly impossible to recreate precisely as well.  Also, it is not unusual to find mic preamps (a standard component of most consoles) that relate to audible differences because they load some microphones differently in ways that affect the microphone's  frequency response. It is not uncommon to find mic preamps with with built-in fixed (butnot always well-documented) roll-offs on the order of -3 dB at 50 or 80 Hz, which can be easy to hear as well.

Doing a proper listening experiment to compare analog console sonics seems like a probable waste of time now that good digital consoles are so readily available.

I must confess...I've never heard of "linear distortion".  What is it?  Isn't ALL distortion by definition non-linear?

Reply #97

Can you prove this?  It sounds like you're making a conjecture.  I know how fun that is, I am always accused of making conjecture. 

If one were to have to prove this, how would one even go about accomplishing that proof?

By the way, are you rebutting Ethan?  He said that dither is basically inaudible, so in mentioning it, do you refute him?

Reply #98
Can you prove this?  It sounds like you're making a conjecture.  I know how fun that is, I am always accused of making conjecture. 

If one were to have to prove this, how would one even go about accomplishing that proof?

Induction is always problematic. But it is to be going easy for you to find out, just as it was easy for me to find out: Load up an original and a looped back sample into an ABX program and see if you can differentiate it. The last time I tried I stopped after 20 loop backs on a DG Archiv Produktion of Beethoven. It was just too hard. And that was just looped through the commodity sound chip of an Apple Macbook Pro.

If you're rather out for more general statements. The limits of human auditory perception are well researched. Just measure the looped back version and compare it to those thresholds. You'll see, that your concerns aren't justified by reality.

Reply #99
I must confess...I've never heard of "linear distortion".  What is it?  Isn't ALL distortion by definition non-linear?

Systems can have only 4 general kinds of signal response faults: linear distortion (frequency and/or phase response errors) , nonlinear distortion, random noise, and coherent interfering signals.

Maybe you wouldn't classify frequency response errors as "distortion". Not everyone does. It's a just a terminology thing. Nothing to get hung up on.