Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Opening .M4R files for use with iOS devices (Read 2354 times) previous topic - next topic

Opening .M4R files for use with iOS devices

Hi all,

I'm currently using foobar2000 1.1.10 on windows XP professional. I also have an iPhone, and a giant collection of ringtones I'd like to sort through. As I find the iTunes interface to be more than a bit clunky, and it also adds every file I open to the library automatically, I'd like to use foobar2000 to sort through these instead, then add the ones I want to iTunes manually.

My copy of foobar2000 seems to natively support M4A files, and M4R is simply a renamed M4A. However, since they have a nonstandard extension, the program apparently doesn't know which decoder to send them too, or is sending them to the wrong one. I've had a poke around in options in an attempt to fix this, but have come up blank.

If absolutely necessary, I could write an autohotkey or autoit script to rename all the files to M4A, but I'd rather avoid going to extra trouble. This is also something I've been meaning to ask about for a long time. I know that in some media players, it's possible to set certain custom filetypes to automatically send to a certain decoder, but I can't seem to do this in foobar, though I could very well be missing something. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply #1
Sounds like you run old version of foobar2000. Update to latest version and .m4r files are supported.

Reply #2
Heh. Alright, I'm an idiot. I had thought for some reason that I was a little bit more up to date than that, but I guess I'll just need to check more often.

I'm still curious to know if there's a way to do something like this, in case any custom formats show up that I need to open. It doesn't happen often, but it would be good to have that capability. I'm guessing it's not possible though.