Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vis_spectrum_analyzer (Read 66612 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_vis_spectrum_analyzer

Reply #725
Which smoothing method do you use? ("Common" page). It should be set to "Average" to reduce jitter.
"Average" = 0.2. I have this setting on all modules. Increasing this parameter, of course, smooths out the RMS indicator, but reduces the jump of peaks. I consider this value is optimal.
It has nothing to do with the performance of the GPU. Direct2D uses a buffer swap chain that is usually synced to the refresh rate of the monitor. In D2D I don't know of a setting to influence that.
The following plugins are always active on my screen: Waveform Minibar (mod) 1.2.58 and Oscilloscope (Direct2D) 1.1.0. The first has an update rate of 60 frames per second, the second - 100. Closing these plugins doesn't solve the problem. Maybe they should be unloaded? (i.e. delete?)

Reply #726
I seem to remember the only difference between "mathematical" and "AES" RMS is 3dB, due to whether you reference a sine wave or a square wave. At the end of the day it's not very important/easy to add or subtract 3dB in one's head. The best pro meters are set for +3/AES by default, or allow you to choose.

Reply #727
The wiki has been updated to provide a little more explanation about the various settings.

Reply #728
The wiki has been updated to provide a little more explanation about the various settings.
Also, don't forget about the images of what settings actually do (e.g. switching from FFT to IIR filter bank changes the shape of the spectrum response)

BTW, as the wiki is editable by everyone (not just you), these changes (necessary updates) to this wiki page shouldn't be listed on changelogs in this GitHub page nor this component repository page