Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flac Tags & Windows Explorer (Read 6688 times) previous topic - next topic

Flac Tags & Windows Explorer

When I use EAC/MAREO/FLAC/LAME to transfer my CDs to FLAC & Lame Mp3 files and then use Windows Explorer (XP) to open the folder, all of the tags are visible except for the year and comment tags in my FLAC files.

The FLAC portion of my MAREO.INI file is as follows: ( I have tried the year both with & without the quotes-since I've seen examples of it both ways.)

; Lossless-FLAC

EXT = flac
PATH = D:\Data\My Documents\3-1 My Music\0-0 Songs-FLAC\
ENCODER = C:\Program Files\Audio Conv Progs\Flac\Flac.exe
PARAMETERS = -5 "@source@" -o "@dest@" -T artist="@artist@" -T album="@album@" -T title="@title@" -T tracknumber="@track@" -T date="@year@" -T genre="@genre@" -T comment="FLAC+MAREO"

Am I doing something wrong, or will Windows just not read the year & comment portion of the tags?  Any ideas at all?

Thanks for your help ... I really appreciate it.

Reply #1
Not sure how you are seeing FLAC tags in Windows Explorer - thought it only supported WMA & MP3!!

Anyhow, Year and Comment in my experience can often cause a problem when working with multiple applications and FLAC files. The problem seems to stem from the fact that people implement the names of the fields differently:

- Vorbis comments, used by FLAC, specifies DATE & DESCRIPTION (I Think)
- But a lot of applications also use YEAR & COMMENT (because, again I think, it aligns with ID3)

Suggest you copy a FLAC file and add identical tags for DATE & YEAR, and identical tags for DESCRIPTION & COMMENT, and see if you can see anything then. Then start deleting tags individually and see what happens in explorer.

If you need a tagger to do this. I'd suggest MP3Tag.

If it's not that then i dunno, as I don't use EAC & MAREO ...

Thx.

H.

Reply #2
Thanks so much for your reply ... I'm still working on the problem ... I'll let you know when I get it resolved ... that is "if" I get it resolved. 

Reply #3
Not sure how you are seeing FLAC tags in Windows Explorer - thought it only supported WMA & MP3!!

So did I...

goodlookin: unless you have some shell extension plugin for your Explorer (like http://www.softpointer.com/AudioShell.htm), I would have suspected your flacs for being ID3 tagged...