Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to encode FLAC without any compression? (Read 6291 times) previous topic - next topic

How to encode FLAC without any compression?

I bought a FLAC from a Hi-Res music website
Sample rate : 96000 Hz
Channels : 2
Bits per sample : 24
Bitrate : 4616 kbps

The original FLAC file is
185 293 054 bytes

This file only embedded one jpg, this size is
151 601 bytes

I decode this file
flac -d *.flac

But the size of wav file is
184 813 928 bytes

I tried to use -0 to encode the wav again
flac -V -0 *.wav

But the size of output FLAC is
138 330 934 bytes

I also checked Audio MD5 of original flac and new flac, their MD5 are same

Why the website can encode a no compression FLAC file? How can I do that?

Re: How to encode FLAC without any compression?

Reply #1
maybe website use ffmpeg or some else "flake"? in general, it is strange that the encoder compresses worse than the source...

Reply #2
maybe website use ffmpeg or some else "flake"? in general, it is strange that the encoder compresses worse than the source...

Ah no.  FFMPEG shouldn't cause a problem like that.  I think the problem is with the source itself or the original poster could be making it up.

Reply #3
To check if it is really uncompressed you could try a general file compressor like 7zip or rar to compress the file and see if it gets a bit smaller. If it does not, i could also be there is a lot of hidden meta info in the file.

Reply #4
You can create uncompressed FLAC with parameters
-0 --disable-fixed-subframes --disable-constant-subframes

But it is a pointless thing to do. Uncompressed files are typically needed only during editing for fast loading and random access. But this type of FLAC stream is still treated as compressed by all software, and cause a delay on load and possibly a decoded proxy file to be built. Uncompressed PNG images are equally pointless.

You can detect uncompressed multimedia data (sound and picture) by looking at a byte frequency histogram in a hex editor. Any significant fraction of uncompressed bytes will show smooth curves.

Reply #5
You can create uncompressed FLAC with parameters
-0 --disable-fixed-subframes --disable-constant-subframes

But it is a pointless thing to do. Uncompressed files are typically needed only during editing for fast loading and random access. But this type of FLAC stream is still treated as compressed by all software, and cause a delay on load and possibly a decoded proxy file to be built. Uncompressed PNG images are equally pointless.

You can detect uncompressed multimedia data (sound and picture) by looking at a byte frequency histogram in a hex editor. Any significant fraction of uncompressed bytes will show smooth curves.

Thank you, now I can reproduce similar FLAC

I will not keep uncompressed FLAC, I just want to know why.

Reply #6
Uncompressed PNG images are equally pointless.

This is definitely one of those things that make me wonder how on earth I'd never given it a second thought before.

Thanks.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução