Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Repeat and Shuffle Buttons (icons and using them at the same time) (Read 4397 times) previous topic - next topic

Repeat and Shuffle Buttons (icons and using them at the same time)

So I’m new to Foobar2000 and I almost got it looking the way I want it to. One thing that is annoying me is the repeat and shuffle buttons are static. This means I have no way of knowing if something like repeat is toggled on or off unless I look in the menu. Is there a way to make these buttons change to a different icon if there toggled on? Also why don’t these buttons have a default built in icons just question marks?

On a related topic is there a way to turn both repeat and shuffle on at the same time it seems strange that Foobar cant when practically every other mp3 player can do this.

Re: Repeat and Shuffle Buttons (icons and using them at the same time)

Reply #1
It might be too hard to draw a good icon for every action. But I'd like to see on/off checkmarked status to have a "depressed" button (or whatever the analogue is in the flat paradigm). I have a button for "stop after current", but end up never using it because I can't remember if I have already pushed it for the current track.

Reply #2
The static buttons can be annoying at times, but for the playback order, there's an "Order" toolbar button with a dropdown menu (I've moved it to the menu bar).
Shuffle does repeat for me. Create a playlist with a single track (or two tracks), start playing a track and click the "play next" button several times. The track(s) should keep repeating.

Reply #3
The button icon thing can also be annoying. Have a look in this thread for custom icons. https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,35270.0.html
I think I'm mostly using these ones. You need standard icon files for the default GUI.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,35270.msg679478.html#msg679478

Reply #4
Ya I ended up downloading some custom icons. Found the drop down order menu so that solves that problem though it is a strange way of doing it but it works.

Yetanotherid I not taking about repeating the entire playlist (though I am glad that is the default behavior for shuffle) I’m talking about repeating a signal track while still being in shuffle mode and not going to the next track until I manually click next track. I want this because I listen to a lot of game soundtracks and sometimes they don’t loop the music very much. So I like to have repeat track on and loop the current track until I get bored with it then move on to the next random track.

Reply #5
A quick test shows "repeat track" mode doesn't change the previously selected mode (shuffle or random etc), so if you start playing in shuffle mode and switch to "repeat track", when you're bored with the current track repeating, simply clicking the "play next" button will take you to the next track in shuffle mode which will play repeatedly until you click "play next" again.

I guess it'd be nice to see which mode "repeat track" is working in, so to speak, but at least it does work the way you're wanting it to.

If you haven't noticed yet, the drop down Order menu effectively gives you active "repeat" and "shuffle" buttons etc, as if the Order menu is visible, clicking one of those buttons will change the mode displayed in the Order menu accordingly, allowing you to see which button is active.

Reply #6
Really because that is not the behavior I’m getting if I’m in shuffle mode when the track ends it goes to the next take it never repeats. But if I turn repeat on it loops the track but when I click next it simply goes to the next track in the playlist rather than a random track.

Reply #7
It's looks like it was behaving the way it was for me due to Playlist Attributes. I only installed it a couple of days ago to play around and I forgot.

Anyway, it seems if you use Playlist Attributes to set the order for a particular playlist, you can switch to repeat mode and fb2k will keep repeating a track, then when you click next it'll automatically switch back to the preset order for the playlist.

I thought earlier fb2k would keep repeating, but maybe I confused myself. After clicking next and the playlist switching back to shuffle mode, you have to click/select "repeat track" again.

Reply #8

On a related topic is there a way to turn both repeat and shuffle on at the same time it seems strange that Foobar cant when practically every other mp3 player can do this.

I finally figured out how to solve the problem of playback order not supporting a combination of random/shuffle and repeat track.
1. set Order to "Repeat (track)"
2. program a hotkey for Random

So, while "Order" doesn't support the feature we want, Foobar2000 does allow it, just through a different means than VLC et al. I prefer Foobar because with VLC you have to have the focus on the transport area for the hotkeys to work.