Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Jabber support added :) (Read 5641 times) previous topic - next topic

Jabber support added :)

I asked JohnV to add one line to profile field and he agreed (Thanks!). So anyone with Jabber account can put there his Jabber ID

Just for your information:
There are mods for IBP on This Page - author said that he will make these mods for IPB 1.2.

There are two mods:
  • Fist one: "Basically, it gives you the opportunity to send a message to a Jabber user, just like you can send a message to an ICQ user."
  • Second: "It'll add two custom profile fields for the Jabber ID, which lets the user enter his/her Jabber ID and -if the latter is present- the Jabber priority. This priority comes in every time the board would send an email to this user, in case of forum or topic subscriptions or password recovery... basically *everything* email. There are three Jabber priority settings which let the user choose to receive only Jabber messages (instead of an email) or a Jabber message AND an email or only an email."

Please consider adding at least first one (regular Jabber support), especially when converting to IPB 1.2. Just my small suggestion...

Reply #1
Please consider adding at least first one (regular Jabber support), especially when converting to IPB 1.2. Just my small suggestion...

Well, I added the first one now.

I'll edit the topic of this thread a bit.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #2
Maybe make news from that topic

Thanks for adding this mod  If you had any problems adding this mod (I had) you could tell me how did you resolved these problems, or just post some info on forum of author of this mod.

I installed everything and there was an error  Beacuse of missing database entry or something...

BTW. Add short description to HA_JabberBot - In Vcard (=personal details).

Reply #3
Thanks for adding this mod  If you had any problems adding this mod (I had) you could tell me how did you resolved these problems, or just post some info on forum of author of this mod.

Yeah, the mod didn't work from "out-of-the-box". It needed further modifications.
I posted a message to the author's web-forum. If you have still problems installing this, just PM me.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #4
Someone with the time to explain to me what is so special about that jabber thingy ?
sic transit gloria mundi...

Reply #5
Someone with the time to explain to me what is so special about that jabber thingy ?

Jabber is an open XML protocol for the real-time exchange of messages and presence between any two points on the Internet. The first application of Jabber technology is an asynchronous, extensible instant messaging platform, and an IM network that offers functionality similar to legacy IM systems such as AIM, ICQ, MSN, and Yahoo. However, Jabber offers several advantages over legacy IM systems:
  • Open -- the Jabber protocol is free, open, public, and easily understandable, and multiple open-source implementations exist for Jabber servers, clients, and development libraries.

• Extensible -- using the power of XML namespaces, anyone can extend the Jabber protocol for custom functionality; to maintain interoperability, common extensions are managed by the Jabber Software Foundation.

• Decentralized -- anyone can run their own Jabber server, enabling individuals and organizations to take control of their IM experience.

• Secure -- Any Jabber server may be isolated from the public Jabber network, many server implementations use SSL for client-server communications, and numerous clients support PGP/GPG for end-to-end encryption; more robust security using SASL and session keys is under development.

PSI Jabber client (http://psi.affinix.com) supports SSL encryption (AES256 by default) and GnuPG encryption - so you have high security, not present in most of other communicators. In Jabber you can use same account in many places in one time - by specifying "Resource", so you can have resource "Home", "Work" etc. If one of resources does not work, second one will receive message.

Reply #6
so you have high security, not present in most of other communicators.

You can get high security with Mirabilis ICQ using the PGP plugin available on PGP 8.02.

Reply #7
so you have high security, not present in most of other communicators.

You can get high security with Mirabilis ICQ using the PGP plug-in available on PGP 8.02.

SSL in Jabber is more widely used than PGP in ICQ - i mean almost every Jabber client supports SSL, some clients support GnuPG, many users use SSL, but few ICQ users use PGP.

If this make any difference: most Jabber clients use free, open source, multiplatform etc. GnuPG, ICQ needs plug-in from non-open source, etc. PGP 8.02. PGP 8.02 installs some trash, GnuPG is simply unpacked and works...

Anyway rjamorim wrote only about security, rest of advantages (open source, you can run your own server etc.) are not available in ICQ.

BTW. Most Jabber clients don’t have advertises, are not bloated etc.

Reply #8
Anyway rjamorim wrote only about security, rest of advantages (open source, you can run your own server etc.) are not available in ICQ.

Both informations are false.

ICQ server:
http://iserverd.khstu.ru/about.html
http://www.icq.com/groupware/

Open Source ICQ client:
http://miranda-icq.sourceforge.net/

BTW. Most Jabber clients don’t have advertises, are not bloated etc.

You should really take a look at Miranda.

And I wonder what "trash" are you talking about PGP 8.02

Reply #9

Both informations are false.

ICQ server:
http://iserverd.khstu.ru/about.html
http://www.icq.com/groupware/

Open Source ICQ client:
http://miranda-icq.sourceforge.net/

So protocol, at least one client and at least one server are: free, open-source, supports high-end encryption, multiplatfrom (including Linux and Solaris)? Server launched by user can be part of worldwide network? You can use >10 different clients? You have at least one client that support >1 server at one time? Servers and clients and protocoll are under development - new cool features are ahead?

Reply #10
Miranda IM is great, and supports Jabber with a plugin. I tried Exodus, and JAJC, but I have to say I much prefer Miranda as a Jabber client. It's just much faster and much less clunky - and it works. Also, I prefer to have inter-protocol support on the client-side for now. There's also the sweet speech plugin - now my pc talks to me  B)

Jabber as a protocol seems to be a great idea - open, xml, and practically unlimited possible uses. I'd prefer everyone to use it, but clearly they don't yet... oh well.

Reply #11
Miranda is one of Jabber clients (in fact). You like Miranda, I like PSI. I don`t have any friends in other networks so inter-network compatibility is not needed for me.

I also can`t forgive one thing some $#%^% from Miranda development/web admins - there was poll for most wanted Miranda plugin, (too) many people from Poland voted for Gadu-Gadu plugin, but they (dev/admnins) set votes for GG plugin to 100 (can`t change by voting) and started to make other techniques like that. Now there is plugin for both GG and Tlen.pl but Miranda still sucks for me.

If you like Miranda - try PSI. Clean, simple, secure, free, open and has big list of fetures...
http://psi.affinix.com

@ Neo Neko: I forget to add! Jabber IDs are like: nick@server.com - my is cobra@jabber.atman.pl, in ICQ you have number, numbers suck.

@ ALL Jabber users on HA.org
Add your Jabber ID to profile to show that there is some Jabber users on HA.org.

Reply #12
Hey Cobra. Mandrake 9.1 3 ISO set now comes standard with jabberd. 2.x, MSN, ICQ, AOL, and Yahoo transports!!!! I am updating my server this week! Cause it's schweet!

Jabber is really comming to it's own. ICQ was great back in the day. And there "have been" opensource clients for quite some time but not to long ago AOL bought ICQ and they have been tweaking the protocol trying to discourage 3rd party software connections and merging it with AIM. Though Trillian and miranda have done a good job at keeping up as has Jabber. All they need to do is add SMTP like send and recieve functions and Jabber could replace both traditional IM and e-mail systems. It already is user@domain.organisation. The transition could be almost seemless!

Reply #13
Known Jabber users on HA.org:

Cobra - cobra@jabber.atman.pl
Neo Neko - Neo_Neko@myjabber.net
dev0 -  tobe@amessage.de (maybe replaced)
Artemis3 - has account on amessage.de
Slo Mo Snail - slomosnail@amessage.de
peyote - ???
possibly: ssamadhi97
JLP: JLP@jabber.org
George_007: George_007@amessage.de

Source: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=5997&hl=jabber

Reply #14
Great news! I also use Jabber as my main protocol for instant messaging. I like it a lot as it is open and you can do a lot with its XML base. Much more then with other protocols. And it will get better in the future. Here is my JID: JLP@jabber.org.
Live long and prosper!

Reply #15
Jabber in Poland B) :
Also in the last issue I asked the question: what is going on with the explosion of Jabber interest and adoption in Poland? My new friend kocio reports that it's no coincidence! It seems that Jabberites in Poland launched a coordinated attack: an overview article in a major newspaper, public servers announced in the dominant free software / open source news services, a gateway to the popular Polish IM service Gadu-Gadu, documentation and client translations, several local open-source projects, and the JabberPL website (where translations of the Jabber Journal are published). A true grassroots effort! Now if only we could duplicate that success in every major nation on the planet, world domination would be just around the corner...

Full article: Jabber Journal #10 :: 2003-04-15

Some infos:
  • I updated Polish translation of PSI 0.9b1. Available there: psi_pl.zip - just unzip file to main PSI folder.
  • If you are searching for good (faster than Jabberd 1.4.2), free Jabber server, look there: WPJabber - of course this server is also from Poland B)
  • If you have Jabber client or server - update your OpenSSL to version 0.9.7b - Source, Windows Binaries Latest OpenSSL contains security fixes and also negotiate AES-256 by default instead of 3DES168 (effective 112bit) which is negotiated by OpenSSL 0.9.6. AES is both faster and more secure than 3DES.
  • New beta2 of PSI is delayed because of Security risk in Jabber OpenPGP implementations.