Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Decode corrupted APE file (Read 7204 times) previous topic - next topic

Decode corrupted APE file

Hello everyone. I have a APE file and I want to convert it to other formats like FLAC. Unfortunately it has some bad data chunk at 67:24 so every time the decoder (foobar2000 decoder, official decoder or shntool patched decoder) gives checksum error and refuse to continue decoding. However, if I play the APE file in foobar2000, and directly seek over the 67th minute, the rest are fine. I cannot obtain a good source again so I wonder if there is any way to ignore the checksum error and force decoding the whole file in any decoder. Thank you very much!

Reply #1
Currently I'm trying to separate out the problematic 1-2 seconds by generating the parts before and after the section, replace with little padding, and concatenate. I'm making a cue sheet to make foobar2000 decode the file after seeking to a certain point, but I still wonder if there is a better way to archive this.

Reply #2
Done, with 1 second silence gap. Seems the error robustness for an lossless format is important.

Reply #3
Use Winamp to decode the file with its disk writer output plug-in.  Make sure to configure in_Ape.dll to ignore bitstream errors.

A second seems a bit long, though I never set the compression level any more aggressively than the high setting.

Reply #4
Thanks for your suggestion! I tried the latest APE 4.06 plugin and checked the ignore errors option. Unfortunately, when decode to the critical location Winamp halts, like in an infinite loop. This is exactly the same outcome as the official mac.exe. Probably the error in my APE file is kindly special.

Reply #6
Sorry for my late reply. The audio file is in my other computer, and I just get touch of it. From Winamp I can see it is created by 3.98, using the Fast compression mode. Thanks.