Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 suggestions (Read 30673 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #100
yeah, write me a function that determines if an mp3 file is VBR or CBR without checking VBR headers and scanning entire file and i'll fix that.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #101
If I'm not mistaken, it should be possible to get this information (that LAME files are VBR or CBR) by reading info from the LAME tag.  Not sure how much of a hassle it would be to implement that, but it might provide for some interesting possibilities elsewhere too.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #102
Yes the lame header has the info in the file. (I dont know how its stored in the file, but encspot displays it as "VBR Method" is "cbr" when you click on lame header details.)

Edit: i think this explains the lame header specs:

http://users.belgacom.net/gc247244/extra/tag.html

Edit2 (dont see point in new post): ok dibrom... B)  i thought they were probably old (hence the "think")

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #103
Btw, specifications for the latest LAME tag revision can be found here:

http://gabriel.mp3-tech.org/mp3infotag.html

If a function was implemented to read this tag for the previously mentioned purpose, it might be interesting to also add functionality to allow for displaying the preset used (if available) somewhere, since I think that overall that's a little more relevant than bitrate information (at least to me).

Edit:  @musicmusic

The link you provided is for the older tag revision

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #104
yeah, write me a function that determines if an mp3 file is VBR or CBR without checking VBR headers and scanning entire file and i'll fix that.

i see deaf people here too...
It's just plain impossible,
but you could add an option to scan files once,
then write length to the database,
like you did with Winamp3 replaygain.
I've changed only because of myself.
Remember, when you quote me, you're quoting AstralStorm.
(read: this account is dead)

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #105
What about having the 'J-key' functionality of winamp2 together with the ALT-LEFT-MOUSE of winamp3:

'J' displays all songs that match the word(s) typed in the edit box, and ALT-LEFT-MOUSE enqueues these song(s) as next to be played

vha

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #106
Why not a foobar version for win9x???
MPC: --quality 10 --xlevel (v. 1.15s) (archive/transcoding)
MP3:  LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard (daily listening/portable)

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #107
Why not a foobar version for win9x???

"Windows 9x/ME" and "high quality / stability" are mutually exclusive.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #108
So true about the reason why this puppys not ported to Win9X.

However, Peter, like a sizable portion of us have already stated, we're gonna need a good interface for this player to be widely accepted. Even the biggest audio purists need a nice Winamp-like interface to easily navigate with.

Since you seem to dislike Winamp 3 so much, why not just make this player a continuation of sorts for Winamp 2? You could add support for Winamp 2 skins (highly unlikely I know) We do need a nice interface though, no vis plugins or such.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #109
This is how you could maintain one sourcecode for Win9x/ME and 2k/XP:
You could use your own String class which converts between charsets
and outputs WCHAR_T* or CHAR* on demand.
And use ifs around all Unicode functions.
Only tricky part is to write conversion tables.

And Win9x systems are stable, if software used is memory and resource leak free.
That's why Win98 SE haven't crashed here even once

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #110
just few simple suggestions (to help me moving from wa2  )

in playlist window I want to see
- numbers
- highlighting of the playing entry

I think it's a good idea to save in playlist file
- current position
- state of shuffle, repeat etc

and I still miss shortcuts for shortcuts
- for prev
- for file info

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #111
One important thing for future is the ability in the core of the engine to play several tracks at the same time and to drive them separately (DSP, level, channel?). After that we have the opportunity to develop a new kind of player with a high quality of sound . At this level of the development, I don’t think it’s the right time to talk about how we could use it (if somebody need it, I can bring few example). Because I don’t know the source code, I don’t know exactly the “price” of it (maybe nothing), but I know that sometimes it is very difficult to do it later if it’s not anticipated.

Another important thing (but at the interface level, so…) is the possibility to use the drag/drop FROM foobar (it’s already work TO foobar). Because I have understood that the target of FB2K is to offer the best player in terms of quality it takes the way of the “best of breed” in his category. The more natural way to do it (at least for the user) is the cut/past or drag/drop from the application. For example, I have a good track list in my in my FB2K B) and I would like to put it in my CD burner program  . Currently I have to search these tracks one by one (with explorer for example (w00t) ) and to drag and drop it in my CD program . Another people tried to do it thru the diskwriter…

So if concerned persons read this, if he/they could let me know what is possible…

Many thanks 

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #112
how about Play/Pause for Actions as Keyboard Shortcuts
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"We will restore chaos"-Bush on Iraq[/span]

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #113
Heya...

thanx for this great player!

I would like to know if its possible to control foobar2k from an other application.
I would like to make a front-end in a alternate win shell i use that controls foobar
and shows title and time, etc.. something simmilar those wa front-ends..

Is this possible?

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #114
Not now, but is probably on his TODO list...

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #115
Since the other topic i replied is closed ill ask here..

I allready have gappless output so that not what i was reffering to..
Im curious if there will be some sort of crossfading option in foobar2k
simalar like the dsound plugin for wa2...
I would like this much.. i use it @ home for my mp3 jukebox...

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #116
Not now, but is probably on his TODO list...

You can do some of the stuff, (play, pause etc.) winspector Spy tells you the WM_Command codes.. But I don't know about getting title etc. (you could read the window title).

Anyway, heres a small list of WM_COMMAND codes.

FOOBAR_PAUSE = 40044
FOOBAR_STOP = 40010
FOOBAR_PLAY = 40009
FOOBAR_NEXT = 40011
FOOBAR_SHUFFLE = 40014
FOOBAR_REPEAT = 40015
FOOBAR_REPEATONE = 40042
FOOBAR_STOPAFTERCURRENT = 40045
FOOBAR_FOLLOWCURSOR = 40047
FOOBAR_ALWAYSONTOP = 40041
FOOBAR_OPENFILE = 40049
FOOBAR_ADDDIRECTORY = 40035
FOOBAR_ADDFILES = 40037
FOOBAR_ADDPLAYLIST = 40038
FOOBAR_SEARCH = 40040

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #117
Peter,

First, thanks for letting fb2k out into the world! It's working great for me.  Two requests for enhancement:  1)  Would it possible for the program to remember where in the playlist it's at between sessions?  When I need to shut it down to install a newer release it would be nice to pick up where I left off.  2)  Could you make the cursor marking the current track a little more obvious, or maybe a command to go to the currently playing song in the playlist?  With a long playlist it can be difficult to see where you are.

Thanks,

--Nathan

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #118
1. noted, 2. doubleclick on status bar at the bottom of the window to locate currently played file.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #119
I think it's a good idea to save in playlist file
- current position
- state of shuffle, repeat etc

and other suggestions from that post are useful, imho

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #120
if i wanted to read every single bloody post people write, i'd have to spend all my time reading forums instead of writing code. sorry,

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #121
1. noted, 2. doubleclick on status bar at the bottom of the window to locate currently played file.

1.  Great, thanks for considering it.
2.  works for me

--Nathan

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #122
One suggestion regarding the UI....
I personaly prefer that the titlebar format would be customizable or at least have the following format:

Foobar2000-0.3c (Currently playing song)

instead of:

Currently playing song [foobar2000 v0.3c]

I just think it's pretier and more coherent with all other applicatins that exist out there...
You could also make the song name in the titlebar customizable...

Good Work!  B)

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #123
It should be left untouched or made configurable. (tagz?)

With present setting you know what's played.
It is consistent with Winamp2.

Foobar2000 suggestions

Reply #124
One small thing about assigning stuff to keys, i can't seem to bind to combinations such as win + z (windows key),
as i'm used to in winamp with a plugin called (global hotkeys) could this be fixed in future vesions ?
peter ?