Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_wave_seekbar (Read 799315 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1075
I have not used dither when converting from 24-bit WAV to 24-bit FLAC; I am unsure if I should use dither when performing this conversion?

No need to use dither, in fact you should never when converting to a lossless format at the same bit-depth. Dither is useful when you're going 24->16 bit for example.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1076
I'm using foobar2000 v1.1.10 with Columns UI v0.3.8.8 and Waveform Seekbar v0.2.15.

My Waveform Seekabr is rendering all of these WAV and FLAC resolutions -regardless of dither- without any problems:
24/44 | 24/48 | 24/88 | 24/96 | 24/192 | 32/96 | 32/192

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1077
Thanks for the comments so far.  I should add that these are MONO 24-bit FLAC files giving me problems with Waveform Seekbar, in case that has any bearing on what the issue might be.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1078
these are MONO 24-bit FLAC

which reminds me about this thread

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1079
You know, the 'problem' I had with 24-bit Mono FLAC in that thread does not seem to apply to my foobar2000 anymore !!!

Last week, a friend of mine was testing his vinyl ripping skills and ripped a few tracks from a Mono album and gave me a listen.
He uses an Apple MAC computer .
He packaged the files as 2-channel Mono .

Dragging the tracks into my foobar2000 Playlist Viewer, The track properties tell me: Encoder=TwistedWave | Tool=reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917 .
The tracks play perfect, and all Properties are showing correct info, and Waveform Seekbar renders without errors.

I then converted the tracks to 1-channel FLAC with DSP Processing "Downmix channels to mono", and I got perfect playback specs again.

So this leaves me a bit confused; since I posted that topic (see link posted by LVQL above) I don't seem to have the 24-bit FLAC Mono problem anymore !!??
I can't remember what -if anything- I may have changed.

Digging into my memory scraps and trying to remember what config changes I have applied in my foobar2000 since Jan 2012,
The major thing I have done is remove all rarely or never used used components; aiming for a minimum list of third-party items .
I also reviewed all Panels and UI elements and tried to remove Panels and UI elements which have duplicate or redundant functionality; aiming for a minimum list of items .
I also reviewed all WSH Scripts and Title-Formatting syntax to eliminate bad or redundant logic .

Is it possible that any/all of those config changes had some effect of "repairing" this Mono issue? ...or am I dreaming.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1080
these are MONO 24-bit FLAC

which reminds me about this thread

Success!  I had been using flac encoder version 1.2.1b.  Following a link in the thread above, I downloaded "flac_1.2.1_mod4".  Using mod4 to convert 24-bit WAV to 24-bit flac, the waveform seekbar displays the resulting flac files perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1081
ianc, Did your problem also relate to the 4 GB size limit problem in standard FLAC builds?
I assume that is the main reason that modded build of FLAC was compiled.
These 24-bit Mono FLAC files which caused you problems, were they converted from +4 GB WAV files?

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1082
[quote name='derty2' date='Aug 14 2012, 17:46' post='805288']
ianc, Did your problem also relate to the 4 GB size limit problem in standard FLAC builds?
I assume that is the main reason that modded build of FLAC was compiled.
These 24-bit Mono FLAC files which caused you problems, were they converted from +4 GB WAV files?
[/quote

No, the original 24/48 WAV files were all under 0.1 GB (mostly < 5-minutes duration).  Interesting that this mod seems to do the trick.  Does anyone know if this mod will be built into the regular FLAC for windows package in the future? 

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1083
So the FLAC problem was not my fault. That's nice to hear. 
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1084
If you have the time I would really appreciate your advice with one more thing. The path I have set for my "Music Library" is a network disk with over 11,000 full resolution .wav files. Most are less than 60seconds long. over time I will end up auditioning each one of these files. I'm concerned that I have no idea how the waveform overviews are managed. Is there some hidden directory somewhere that stores the waveform overview? Am I filling up a local directory or is it writing back to the network disk ?? Is there a process for managing the overview files ?? Thanks

The backing storage for the component is a sqlite3 database file in your foobar2000 profile directory, named 'wavecache.db'. It stores the queue of pending scans (which persists over restarts) and it stores the waveforms as compressed binary blobs. A single stereo track takes around 20 KiB or so. I've considered to have per-directory databases or so, but never really got a good use case to warrant implementing it.

Hey just wanted to report that my 'wavecache.db' is now over 1gig heading towards 1.5gig ... what happens when it gets this big ??? I'm scared ..

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1086
Hey just wanted to report that my 'wavecache.db' is now over 1gig heading towards 1.5gig ... what happens when it gets this big ??? I'm scared ..

The database library supports files up to 2 terabytes in size, so unless you're on FAT32, nothing ill ought to happen. Probably.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1087
The database library supports files up to 2 terabytes in size, so unless you're on FAT32, nothing ill ought to happen. Probably.
OK thanks I feel better now. I'm very grateful for your work on maintaining foo_wave_seekbar it's been a huge help to me.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1088
hi, is there any ui i can use say under the waveform that i can tag parts of a tune much like on soundcloud, but more for notes to self on structures of tunes, and if these notes could be then saved and recalled when i open a said tune? im a foobar noob who only started using strictly for the waveform display.
btw i dont use mac but there is a similar idea im looking for on this program http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/transitions...460127911?mt=12 
im a music producer and this feature would be awesome Zao

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1089
foobar2000 1.1.5 Troubleshooter gives this:

Code: [Select]
foobar2000 troubleshooter
The following components found on your system are known to be problematic and should be either uninstalled or updated to their latest versions:

foo_wave_seekbar.dll : Waveform seekbar 0.2.27
Reason: Repeated crash reports.
Download the latest version...

Any serious issues with 0.2.27?

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1090
Any serious issues with 0.2.27?

Nothing I can recall off-hand, but I haven't looked at the crash dumps lately.
Sadly, many users of this component also use the unstable horrible skin-type components that has a nice tendency to ruin the stability of the process.
I blame everyone but me
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1091
Feature request: Remove waveforms of tracks not in the media library. Self-explanatory, I hope.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1092
I'm looking at changing around the way the style of the seekbar is selected.

The current approach is having the three distinct frontends, where for the Direct3D one you happen to be able to provide effect source to customize that particular instance.

I instead suggest a preset system with styles that are easy to share and backup, which transparently would use whatever frontend needed to render it.
I'm a bit unsure as to how many of you that actually have customized effects, if you wrote them yourself from scratch, adapted the stock effect, adapted an effect from someone else, or just use an effect as-is from others.
I'm also curious as to how many use the GDI (software) and Direct2D 1.0 frontends.

Additionally, I'm a bit curious as to if there are any surviving XP users around. It's getting more and more bothersome to target XP and well as Direct3D 9. It would be very nice to know if it's finally possible to move on, as I do not have any machines running XP anymore to test the corner cases of the completely pants-on-head stupid device reset model that D3D9 has. Upstream compiler support for XP, D3DX and D3D9 is gone, and the OS itself will be properly EoS:ed Real Soon Now.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1093
I'm using GDI (less DLLs needed) on WinXP SP3.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1094
I´m using the stock effect with the GDI frontend on Win7.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1095
Using D2D 1.0 on Windows 7 - I couldnt get the GDI version to run on my XP (main!) desktop computer and had to remove the component due to crashes.
My Windows 7 netbook only has some custom colours, nothing too complicated.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1096
I'm using xp gdi on one and direct 3d on another. That said if I were you, I'd drop xp support. People like me can just stay with the current version. Both xp boxes are work machines. My home pc is windows 7.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1097
I do most definitely not want anyone to stay on a version with known problems. The last thing I want is a repeat of the horde of people like the ones staying on ancient foobar versions due to their favorite SDK-violating or unmaintained component not surviving an API bump.

I wouldn't really say that 0.2.27 is in any state to be a viable long-term solution for anyone, and any new fixes wouldn't percolate down to it.

I wanted to get a feeling for where my userbase is at, due to not having any kind of telemetry data available at all. There'll always be some people refusing to migrate from their entrenched legacy operating systems like Wish, but at some point one has to cut the losses.

That point is probably not quite yet, but I'm getting really annoyed with the kind of people that make Microsoft chicken out on promises to euthanize the bloody OS.
Stay sane, exile.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1098
I've used GDI, D2D and D3D, but I'm currently on D3D.

In any case, all have been on Windows 7, some friends of mine were still running Vista, and very little on XP.

If you feel the current version isn't a proper long term solution for legacy systems, then perhaps it would be best to release a final version with a few fixes that's still compatible with XP, then announce it will no longer be supported, allowing you to focus on Vista/7/8.

foo_wave_seekbar

Reply #1099
gdi on win8 rtm. i would probably use d3d but with my custom effect which i would make, and which i'm too lazy to make - at least right now.