Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: eac and compatibility with blu-ray drives. (Read 6211 times) previous topic - next topic

eac and compatibility with blu-ray drives.

Hi, I am fairly experienced with using eac, but recently got a blu-ray drive and have encountered problems with it and eac.

I am wondering, are there any tips for making eac perform better with blu-ray drives?
I just got myself an external drive, a BR3D-12U3 made by buffalo technologies.

Basically the drive only seems to rip at about 0.5x using eac, no matter the settings I use, I tried changing the read mode, ripping method all that but no changes helped.

I tried the drive with several other ripping programs, and the drive performed very well with both cdex and dbpoweramp. I would like to make secure rips of cds, so that's why I use eac.

Unfortunately I can't really use dbpoweramp, because I am blind, and unfortunately, the program doesn't work well with my screen reader which is a program that enables me to use the computer, it translates text that is on the screen into artificial speech.
the dbpoweramp developer is unwilling to make any changes to make the program more compatible with my screen reader, as I already asked him on there forums.

By contrast, eac is fully accessible to my screen reader, but just doesn't seem to perform well with blu-ray drives.
I have scene a lot of other people having similar issues, but I can't find any response from the eac developer to any of the posts on this topic, and I have tried on several occasions to contact him, by e mailing him using the address on the eac website, through the eac e mail list, the eac forums, and even using the phone number on the eac website, but that appears to be out of date and so far as I can tell he hasn't responded to me or any of the other blu-ray drive users who are having problems.
So, does anyone have tips for improving speed with eac, or no of other ways in which Andre can be contacted? I find it remarkable he doesn't appear to have acknowledged the problem or answered posts from both me and other users, given that ripping works as expected with dbpoweramp, even when ripping securely, it seems to me that until this serious problem is addressed, eac will suffer from a major deficiency which will encourage more users to switch to dbpoweramp if it performs better than eac.
Unfortunately as I said above this is not an option for me, and although I do have a regular non blu-ray drive I can use for cd ripping, there are a few discs I have which my regular drive can't read, but that the blu-ray drive is able to read with no problems.

Thanks so much for any help,
Alex.

Reply #1
I would like to make secure rips of cds, so that's why I use eac.
CDex is secure; as are CUERipper and foobar2000.

Unfortunately as I said above this is not an option for me, and although I do have a regular non blu-ray drive I can use for cd ripping, there are a few discs I have which my regular drive can't read, but that the blu-ray drive is able to read with no problems.
Perhaps you can buy another drive?

Reply #2
Hi.
Buying another drive isn't an option for me when I just spent £189 on this one, besides the drive works fine, its just eac that appears to have the problem with most blu-ray drives, if you look on google you will find a lot of posts from other users where eac doesn't like there blu-ray drives.

I guess I could switch to cdex, I guess I just prefer eac, because of its good solid reputation for making secure rips, also I found with cdex it doesn't seem to display the ripping speed.
Also, does it support log and cue sheet generation?
I guess I prefer eac because I am used to it, and I just find it annoying that the eac author doesn't seem to respond to a lot of his users, or care about issues they are having.

Reply #3
I am well aware of the concerns that are voiced at the official EAC forum, seeing that I am a regular contributor there.

At this time you really have no other option than to either buy a cheap optical drive or use different software.  Seeing that CDex does not have AccurateRip support I would try one of the other programs I suggested.  As to log and cue sheet generation, I would consider whether you really need it.

Reply #4
Hi.
I am glad to know that other users are as concerned as myself about the lack of help or information from the eac developer.
Thanks for your information regarding cdex, accurate rip isn't really much of a concern to me, as I am not ripping well known cds, and in fact none of my collection so far has featured in its database.
For me, the important things are log and cuesheet generation so that if needs be I can restore copies of my cds from rips, and also the ability to rip securely, and it goes without saying a reasonable degree of speed when ripping, and finally software able to be used on windows 7 64 bit.
I will try the other programs as well that you mentioned, as obviously it doesn't look like eac will be being fixed soon, and the dbpoweramp developer was very unhelpful, even though the changes I was asking for only related to the cd ripping settings, and I told him I would be happy to work with him to make the program more friendly, as I am not the only visually impaired person who would like to make better use of it.
But oh well, nothing to be done there, I will try the other option you mentioned in your original post.