Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why does Foobar 2000 lock up Windows XP? (Read 10506 times) previous topic - next topic

Why does Foobar 2000 lock up Windows XP?

Reply #25
I recently installed Foobar 2000 to copy my CD collection to FLAC format and I have installed a 300GBhard disc to house the collection.  My knowledge of the program is rudimentary, but I have fumbled to the point that it serves my immediate purpose.  However, there appears to be some sort of memory leak problem because after I copy 10 CDs or so the whole computers suddenly breaks down and locks up.  Sometimes I have to turn the computer off manually because I cannot manage a proper system shutdown otherwise.  I have found XP to be extremely stable until I started using Foobar.  Can someone give me any advice re this problem?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=319852"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

After several more days of experimentation, I have concluded generaly that if I shut down Foobar after each disc conversion and restart it I don't run into a problem.  However, if I run several consecutive CD conversions without shutting down Foobar, XP is prone to hanging.  Also, if I leave the computer idle for a long period of time after I convert a CD to FLAC (an hour or two) without shutting down Foobar even though it is 'idle', XP tends to get confused and unresponsiveand has to be rebooted, a process that takes ten of fifteen minutes for XP to shut down gracefully.  In extreme cases, it refuses to shut down without 'pulling the plug'.  I have not begun to experiment with removing components because I still do not know which ones are vital.

Reply #26
Have you tried the command line encoder already? If not please do so.

All you need to do is get flac.exe and point it to it. There should be a flac preset included already so it will not be hard to set up.

Reply #27
ui_std, ui_columns, input_std, flac, output_std, out_dsound_ex, cdda, diskwriter, flaccer

These will be more or less essential, in my humble opinion.

----

You can use the FLAC preset by choosing "Commandline Encoder : FLAC" from the Diskwriter's list of Output presets. You can download flac.exe from http://flac.sourceforge.net/

If you place it underneath c:\program files\foobar2000\ somewhere, the preset should work flawlessly.

----

If the problem still persists after removing plugins, using the flac.exe preset, and checking the memory, maybe you could use a dedicated ripper instead of foo_cdda to rip the files?

Reply #28
ui_std, ui_columns, input_std, flac, output_std, out_dsound_ex, cdda, diskwriter, flaccer

----

You can use the FLAC preset by choosing "Commandline Encoder : FLAC" from the Diskwriter's list of Output presets. You can download flac.exe from http://flac.sourceforge.net/

If you place it underneath c:\program files\foobar2000\ somewhere, the preset should work flawlessly.

----

If the problem still persists after removing plugins, using the flac.exe preset, and checking the memory, maybe you could use a dedicated ripper instead of foo_cdda to rip the files?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320904"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you very much.  I's start working on these ideas.

Reply #29

----

----

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320904"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I still don't know what you are referring to as a dedicated ripper.  I selected foobar because it was the only ripper I could find that rips to FLAC.  I would really like to try the command line option in the hope that it would behave better than the miserable configuration I am now fighting, but my only Diskwriter option is FLAC: compression, level 7, 4096 bytes padding.  I deleted the wav options from within the program.  I don't know why I cannot summon the command line options anymore.  I would really like to get them back because once there was a commandline FLAC option that I could preset.  I have a directory called Foobar FLAC under my C:\Program Files\Foobar2000 directory.  The Foobar FLAC directory containsFLAC Frontend.exe and FLAC.exe.

This project has already taken about two weeks longer than it should have because of all the extra rebooting and experimental messing around and I still have about  200 CDs to rip.  I have ripped about 400.  The system has been especially unstable today.  In two hours I have managed to rip about 10 CDs.

My components directory contains albumlist, ape, cdda, console, diskwriter, dsp_extra, dumb, flac, flaccer, freedb, id3v2, input_std, masstag, output_std, read_http, rescan, speex, ui_columns, unpack, visPmanager, and wavpack.  Most of these seem to be necessary, but I spend an hour or so everytime I try to eliminate the right component because I end up with a nonfunctional system and have to reboot a couple times.  Every time I crash it takes approximately 15 minutes for XP to shut down gracefully, including one or two reports to Mr. Gates that Foobar didn't behave.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

Reply #30
* Get rid of foo_flaccer.
* Make sure that foo_clienc is in a subfolder of your foobar2000 folder.
* To get the relevant presets back, hit the "Restore default presets" button on the Preferences -> Components -> Diskwriter pane.
* Edit the Commandline Encoder: FLAC preset to set the proper path to your flac.exe
* Then try encoding with the Commandline Encoder: FLAC preset

If that doesn't solve your weird stability issues, may I advise you to finally give memtest et al a whirl?
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #31
What I mean by a dedicated ripper is something like EAC, which will rip CDs to wav. Your mileage will vary with CDs, but it should be better at dealing with scratched discs than foobar2000 0.8.3.

You could open the resulting wav files in foobar2000 and converting the files. If this procedure always works without problems, then you might want to look into using EAC exclusively.

Here's the website for EAC. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
Here are some configuration tips for EAC. http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/EAC/