Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Opus is now RFC6716, version 1.0.1 released! (Read 102200 times) previous topic - next topic

Opus is now RFC6716, version 1.0.1 released!

Reply #50

I tried to compile 64bit version of the encoder  . Can anybody benchmark it for sppeed please?
Code: [Select]
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-7c7892b0.html

VBR goes up to ~510-513 kbps if You wish.

I have overlooked the options syntax but didnot find the quality factor option, which one is that?

Reply #51
(unconstrained) VBR is a default mode.

--bitrate 128  is unconstrained VBR that yields 128 kbps on a big amount of files.

Reply #52
Is there a binary of Opus Tools using libopus 1.0.1 final?
https://code.google.com/p/mulder/downloads/....2012-09-22.zip
These builds are based on 1.0.1 from 0.1.5 binaries...so, 1.0.1 RC3, not the final 1.0.1  Again, can anyone confirm there are no changes between 1.0.1 RC3 and 1.0.1?

BUILD_INFO.txt says it's 1.0.1 final.

Reply #53
I can't tell precisely with this build because the Tool line shows "libopus 2012-09-22: (std) and "libopus 2012-09-22-exp_analysis" (ea7) but the one they took the source from, 0.1.5 from the official website, shows "libopus 1.0.1-rc3".

Reply #54
0.1.5 is the version of Opus_Tools (opusenc, opusdec, ...), not version of the Opus codec library.

Reply #55
I've got this wish if some developer could write a directshow filter for opus...I find this ideal codec and bitrates for secondary tracks (commentary and similar)....
http://www.xiph.org/dshow/

What is the higest input bit depth?

Reply #56
I've got this wish if some developer could write a directshow filter for opus...I find this ideal codec and bitrates for secondary tracks (commentary and similar)....

AFAIK recent ffmpeg can be built with libopus support enabled, and so does LAVFilters.
Try http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/lavfilters/ or something.
Official binary at http://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/ is using a bit older version of ffmpeg which doesn't support opus yet.

Reply #58
The highest input bit depth is 32 bits for Opus.

Reply #59
Anakunda, from your screenshot, you're asking for a .ogg filename extension. The Ogg Opus mapping page recommends use of the .opus extensions

Content Type

The recommended mime-type for Ogg Opus files is audio/ogg, defined in RFC 5334.

If more specificity is desired, one can distinguish Opus files as 'audio/ogg; codecs=opus'.

The recommended filename extension for Ogg Opus files is .opus.

For future compatibility, especially under Windows, it looks inadvisable to use .ogg, which tends to invoke Vorbis-compatible decoders that might not be upgraded to include Opus support. fb2k's built in Opus preset seems like the best option unless you're doing anything fancy or testing experimental encoders.

(edit: this is still the recommendation in the IETF Draft that supercedes the page quoted above)
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #60
Also, --vbr and --comp 10 are the default settings. There's no need to add them.

Reply #61
The highest input bit depth is 32 bits for Opus.

AFAIK, While Opus can  technically take 32 bitdepth as input (after all, it's all float internally), opusenc only accepts up to 24 integer bitdepth.

Here is the error message to confirm:

ERROR: Wav file is unsupported subformat (must be 8,16, or 24 bit PCM
or floating point PCM

Reply #62
Interesting, but foobar2000 sends either 8, 16, 24 bit integer or (32-bit) floating point PCM to encoders.

Reply #63
BTW, I also notice that the Examples pages of opus-codec.org now includes a cool demo of bitrate-scalability, with visual dials & readouts to show the changing bitrate, stereo mode and audio bandwidth of the seamlessly changing Opus stream (and I checked the source, it is playing Opus, and uses scripting to coordinate the readouts). I believe this was the 8-64kbps bitrate sweep demo of the Dave Matthews Band codec killer excerpt played part-way through Jean-Marc Valin's Linuxconf Australia presentation "The Swiss Army Knife of audio codecs", but now you can hear it in native Opus, being handled properly by Firefox.

I found that this played in Opera (without the required gstreamer plugins to play Opus) so I looked at the source again, and I was either mistaken, or they changed it for compatibility. The file is sweep.ogg and it's an OGG file containing Vorbis at 330kbps, clearly transcoded to very high quality Vorbis for compatibility with browsers that don't support opus yet who would like to heard the demo. This is a mere technical point, as the sound quality is bound to be essentially identical to opus directly in the 8-64kbps range. Of course, this page does not at present provide you with an opus file to test seamless bitrate and mode-changing in your opus decoder. I think there's one provided in the test vectors for that purpose.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #64
I found that this played in Opera (without the required gstreamer plugins to play Opus) so I looked at the source again, and I was either mistaken, or they changed it for compatibility. The file is sweep.ogg and it's an OGG file containing Vorbis at 330kbps, clearly transcoded to very high quality Vorbis for compatibility with browsers that don't support opus yet who would like to heard the demo. This is a mere technical point, as the sound quality is bound to be essentially identical to opus directly in the 8-64kbps range. Of course, this page does not at present provide you with an opus file to test seamless bitrate and mode-changing in your opus decoder. I think there's one provided in the test vectors for that purpose.

Yeah, it's Vorbis encoded, I simply demuxed http://people.xiph.org/~tterribe/tmp/sweep.ogv and quickly threw together the demo. For compatibility reasons it would also need an AAC or MP3 version for the Ogg impaired browsers, but I'm not sure the original Opus file is still around somewhere and it smells fishy to transcode Opus to Ogg to MP3 ;-)

Reply #65
[quote name='Anakunda' date='Sep 30 2012, 20:02' post='810211']
I tried to compile 64bit version of the encoder  . Can anybody benchmark it for sppeed please?
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-7c7892b0.html

Just a quick bench with 32-bit vs 64-bit. Source file is .WAV,
Ram Records Drum & Bass Annual 2011 CD2, runtime 45min 12sec:

32-bit:

D:\work\00_audio_work\TEMP>opusenc.exe test.wav test32.opus
Encoding using libopus 1.0.1-rc3 (audio)
-----------------------------------------------------
  Input: 44.1kHz 2 channels
  Output: 2 channels (2 coupled)
          20ms packets, 96kbit/sec VBR
Preskip: 356

[/] 00:45:08.11 52.1x realtime, 94.17kbit/s
Encoding complete
    Encoded: 45 minutes and 12.36 seconds
    Runtime: 52 seconds
            (52.16x realtime)
      Wrote: 32157157 bytes, 135618 packets, 2715 pages
    Bitrate: 94.1663kbit/s (without overhead)
Rate range: 1.2kbit/s to 166kbit/s
            (3 to 415 bytes per packet)
  Overhead: 0.717% (container+metadata)

64-bit:

D:\work\00_audio_work\TEMP>opusenc.exe test.wav test64.opus
Encoding using libopus 1.0.1 (audio)
  Input: 44.1kHz 2 channels
  Output: 2 channels (2 coupled)
          20ms packets, 96kbit/sec VBR
Preskip: 356

[/] 00:44:56.84 64.2x realtime, 94.17kbit/s
Encoding complete
    Encoded: 45 minutes and 12.36 seconds
    Runtime: 42 seconds
            (64.58x realtime)
      Wrote: 32157152 bytes, 135618 packets, 2715 pages
    Bitrate: 94.1663kbit/s (without overhead)
Rate range: 1.2kbit/s to 166kbit/s
            (3 to 415 bytes per packet)
  Overhead: 0.717% (container+metadata)

EDIT: My system is Win7 x64, Core i5-750@stock clocks

Reply #66
Just a quick bench with 32-bit vs 64-bit. Source file is .WAV,
Ram Records Drum & Bass Annual 2011 CD2, runtime 45min 12sec:

Thanks for the feedback

Reply #67
The 0.1.5 binary is 1.0.1 RC3, when will we see 0.1.6? Sorry no rush, I am just impatient to have it and test the latest.

1.0.1 isn't the latest. If You want the latest then  try an experimental branch.

No. When you say latest you mean latest stable.

+1. Where could we get win32 (or win64 if it exists) compile of Opus Encoder 1.0.1 stable?

Here's a build of opus-tools built against 1.01
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkv7qiug2szcowf/opus-tools-x64.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccrxcqh3i5rlhzl/opus-tools.zip

Reply #68
RareWares added an SSE optimized 1.0.1 build as well:

http://www.rarewares.org/opus.php

Reply #69
My god!
opusinfo.exe - 63488b (non-SSE), 559616b (SSE)
opusenc.exe - 351744b (non-SSE), 721408b (SSE)
opusdec.exe - 333312b (non-SSE), 738816b (SSE)
It requires that much code to optimize for SSE?!

[edit]The opus-tools version number is missing upon opus***.exe -V[/edit]

Reply #70
My god!
opusinfo.exe - 63488b (non-SSE), 559616b (SSE)
opusenc.exe - 351744b (non-SSE), 721408b (SSE)
opusdec.exe - 333312b (non-SSE), 738816b (SSE)
It requires that much code to optimize for SSE?!

Such a sizes is normal, when you link static Microsoft(or other) C runtime libraries and possibly other runtimes. The tools code self is only a fragment of the overall binaries.

Reply #71
Well, it would be nice if Apple adopts it for iTunes and mobile players, but I have some doubts about that...

Apple already has HE-AAC as their version of an efficient codec. They are not very welcoming to outsider codecs like this one. I would be happy to adopt Opus when it has more native support though.

Reply #72

foobar2000 already has built-in preset for Opus.

When encoding with Opus in foobar2000, what is the default export sampling rate? opusenc.exe defaults to 48 KHz so I assume it uses this. If the input is 24-bit 96 KHz is that would I'd end up with? How would I change bit depth and sampling rates in foobar?

Reply #73

foobar2000 already has built-in preset for Opus.

When encoding with Opus in foobar2000, what is the default export sampling rate? opusenc.exe defaults to 48 KHz so I assume it uses this. If the input is 24-bit 96 KHz is that would I'd end up with? How would I change bit depth and sampling rates in foobar?

It should use whatever sample rate you feed it.  IIRC opusenc does this as well.

Reply #74
[/quote]

It should use whatever sample rate you feed it.  IIRC opusenc does this as well.
[/quote]

Really? I don't think that 3mb was 24-bit 96 KHz. Is there a way to find out what an opus file is, in terms of bit rate, bit depth, sampling rate, etc.?

Aw, I messed up the quoting didn't I? How do I not do that?