Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Should New DVD Drive Feature "Disc Error Checking With Third-Part (Read 5737 times) previous topic - next topic

Should New DVD Drive Feature "Disc Error Checking With Third-Part

I compared a few new DVD drives and noticed the one I was interested in, the highly rated LG GSA-H10L , does not contain this feature "Disc Error Checking With Third-Party Software", while others, such as the pricier Plextor PX-706A, does feature this. Ive never burned DVD's and could find no information online whether this is an important feature. Does this mean that no matter what software i use to burn DVD's with, I wont be able to verify the accuracy?

PS The LG features LightScribe and the Plextor does not. Seems like a good feature. Should I take this into consideration or are there similar programs that will perform disc labeling on drives without LightScribe?

Reply #1
I compared a few new DVD drives and noticed the one I was interested in, the highly rated LG GSA-H10L , does not contain this feature "Disc Error Checking With Third-Party Software", while others, such as the pricier Plextor PX-706A, does feature this. Ive never burned DVD's and could find no information online whether this is an important feature. Does this mean that no matter what software i use to burn DVD's with, I wont be able to verify the accuracy?

PS The LG features LightScribe and the Plextor does not. Seems like a good feature. Should I take this into consideration or are there similar programs that will perform disc labeling on drives without LightScribe?

from what I know (which is nothing, so really, what I think) LightScribe is a new(er) physical ability, e.g. an extra, stronger laser

I might be wrong. But thats what I'd always figured, even if it were possible youd probably need new firmware as well as software

Reply #4

from what I know (which is nothing, so really, what I think) LightScribe is a new(er) physical ability, e.g. an extra, stronger laser

I might be wrong. But thats what I'd always figured, even if it were possible youd probably need new firmware as well as software

LightScribe is a technique for labeling discs. You flip a disc over and burn in a label on the top side. Doing this requires using special really expensive discs and the result isn't generally that great in my opinion.

My dvd writer does support using LightScribe, but I've only used it once since I got one LightScribe disc for free when I bought it. Here LightScribe media costs about 1.5x what regular dvd media costs and they can't really be bought in numbers of over 10.

Reply #5
Do you know you need special lightscribe media which is significantly more expensive?

NO i definitely didnt know that and saw no mention of it when looking at drive features so THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention.

LightScribe is a technique for labeling discs. You flip a disc over and burn in a label on the top side. Doing this requires using special really expensive discs and the result isn't generally that great in my opinion.

My dvd writer does support using LightScribe, but I've only used it once since I got one LightScribe disc for free when I bought it. Here LightScribe media costs about 1.5x what regular dvd media costs and they can't really be bought in numbers of over 10.

thanks, sounds like lightscribe is not for me....the plextor seems like the way to go..

Reply #6
well its only 1.5x the cost
and you dont NEED to employ the feature
but yeah, Plextor sounds like the way to go

a friend of mine tried using non-lightscribe media once...
it worked... but was messy, that kid was a moron anyway '

Reply #7

I suggest you go for pricier Plextor PX-706A because it will be one time investment as you mentioned LG DVD drive does not contain the feature "Disc Error Checking with Third-Party Software" which is very useful feature. Features like Lightscribe which is available with LG can be downloaded by a third party software.

Reply #8
oops it was PX-760A btw......now if i could only find one lol...thx 2 all