Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do you ask for low latency with aptX Adaptive? (Read 3889 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you ask for low latency with aptX Adaptive?

How do any given headphones know if I'm gaming or listening to music, and therefore what latency/quality ratio might be best? Can I specify somehow? Thanks

Re: How do you ask for low latency with aptX Adaptive?

Reply #1
aptX adaptive has a latency of about  80 ms according to Qualcomm.
This latency is fixed.
The adaptive part is the bit rate (279-480kbs) but this is about the stability of the connection, not about latency.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #2
Ah you're right.

I also just read that aptX Adaptive isn't really compatible with LL either, as it reverts to regular aptX mode when connected to a LL device. Does that mean that Adaptive (80ms) isn't as good as LL (40ms) for latency or is there more to it? It seems strange that Qualcomm would retire a technology that they haven't full replaced.

Reply #3
AFAIK, that's that. If you want that low latency you need to have LL-capable hardware, on both the PC and the headphones.

Things should improve in the future with Bluetooth 5.2, which uses a lower latency codec by default.