Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The Internet Archive needs more downloaders! (Read 17038 times) previous topic - next topic

The Internet Archive needs more downloaders!

[deleted]

Reply #1
[deleted]

Reply #2
My reservation about D/L'ing from this site is that the files are all lossless, which also means they are large.  I have to D/L a large file only to find out that while others may think it is great, I do not.  Do you think it would be possible to have short clips in MP3 format?  Then I and others could sample these files before spending an hour or so D/L'ing the file?

Just a suggestion. 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #3
My reservation about D/L'ing from this site is that the files are all lossless, which also means they are large.  I have to D/L a large file only to find out that while others may think it is great, I do not.  Do you think it would be possible to have short clips in MP3 format?  Then I and others could sample these files before spending an hour or so D/L'ing the file?

Just a suggestion.  

I just quickly browsed some stuff and the few downloads I did were in MP3.

Reply #4
[deleted]

Reply #5
[deleted]

Reply #6
Something simple like OggPreview would help out the user AND the artist 1000% compared to now.

It would not be a problem with their policy, since no-one would transcode or store a 30 second sample of a song.

And as said earlier (and thought by thousands like me/us). Most people are not interested in testing out new artist when they have to spend hours/maybe even days of downloading just to get a cd from a unknown artist (where the odds are that they won't like it)

IMO its incredible that they have not 'woken up and smelled the roses' and done like every online music store. Have short, low-bitrate clips of the tracks.

It is great that there is such a community, but it is very very 'closed' and doesn't reach the wast majority. I'm not the least surprised that they want more visitors

Reply #7
[deleted]

Reply #8
Of course, it's the artists that have the last word and it's up to them to say OK or not. But seriously... i can't fantom anything other than 'its their loss'.
Even if a show is long or not, I as a listener can use a sample to check if its something that i might be interested in.

Just as if I go to a online music store and check out Britney Spears, I would know (by ~95% chance) that if i'm a hardcore deathmetal fan it will probably not be in my interest to download her stuff.

If the show is 1hour or 4 hours, it doesn't matter. It would still give me a feeling of the content of what i'd be downloading.

One user might not download Artist X content because he was 'decived' by the sample. But 10 might instead get his stuff Because of the sample.

Anyways, I can understand the artists have strong feelings on stuff like this. "I want to be judged by the whole package" etc, etc. But Artists are Arists, they are not known for good PR. And it would undoubtably, unquestionably be in their interest to slack a bit on their pride and learn from the industry (and what most end users want).

This is of couse just my opinion, but I personally have used their service very little because of this exact issue. People I've spoken to (artist and regular music listeners) have almost exlusively the same POV.

heh, ugh. This was a long post. Hopefully i didn't voice too much BS

Reply #9
As to the complaint about lossless compression -- archive.org is also now serving as a hub for many net labels as well, all of which use either ogg or mp3.  Quality of encoding varies, but there are hours of excellent and free music to be discovered with more or less something for everyone.

Archive.org Netlabels

Reply #10
just wanted to say thanks for the post and reminder

herefornow
cast out...

Reply #11
My main argument for some kind of preview would be so I can hear what the live recording itself sounds like.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #12
Wow! This has grown a lot since I've last looked at it. If you have any chance check ot the Fugazi shows they have.
Thanks for reminding me, TrNSZ.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #13
If you have any chance check ot the Fugazi shows they have.

Yeah that's right, Fugazi is great. I saw them live playing here in the Netherlands in the early 90's three times or so.
I downloaded both shows featured (~1 GB  ) and it brought back sweet memories for me.

Thanks TrNSZ 
[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%']..what a difference a little difference would make... (from Blueprint)[/span]

Reply #15
[deleted]

Reply #16
Even a good, LAME-encoded MP3 (--r3mix -b32 -B320) sounds pretty darn good. But using a Lossless codec would be even better.

Reply #17
[deleted]

Reply #18
Well, I would think that one of the problems, is the limited selection of groups and tunes that are availible there.

Just my opinion
I see "Deaf" people! d(-_-)b

Reply #19
[deleted]

Reply #20
I suggest them to pay for 150-200 and enjoy BitTorrent, instead !

Reply #21
Ok, TrNSZ.. I'll try that out. No need to get "Snooty". I'm new here and been using that setting for awhile, but would like to find better settings (and preferably a near-lossless setting). I like LAME alot, and it's been a killer codec since I started using it.

I prefer VBR, not this ABR stuff.. If it can compress it smaller and keep the quality, I'm all for it.

In your honest opinion, TrNSZ, what are the best "Non-Preset" VBR settings for LAME (20kHz Max Cutoff)? I'd like to keep the 32-320kbit flexability.

Reply #22
[deleted]

Reply #23
I've been looking into Nero LC-AAC. I would like to maintain compatibility with my MP3 CD Player and my Jeep's Computer System (running WinXP Pro).

Is there a solid DirectShow Codec for Windows Media Player? Also, does Nero LC-AAC support cover art?

Reply #24
[deleted]