Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: REACT 2 Released (Read 1265293 times) previous topic - next topic

REACT 2 Released

Reply #200
Take note - while $track$ will get you zero-padded values in a directory or file name, metamp3.exe will NOT write the zero-padded value to your id3v1 or id3v2 tags.  I'm not sure about the other meta tagging programs used, as I don't use them.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #201
Will REACT2 work with the new flac 1.1.4?    If so, can I just overwrite the flac.exe file in the ...\REACT2\tools\ directory?
Yes, no reason why not.

Hmmmm ...    OK, so I downloaded the new flac (flac-1.1.4-win.zip) and it came with a bunch of files in addition to flac.exe. I think I can ignore most of them but I notice there is a new metaflc.exe and a new dll (in_flac.dll). Should I add these to the  ...\REACT2\tools\ directory in addition to the new flac.exe file?

Thanks very much in advance, and sorry for being so clueless 

- p

REACT 2 Released

Reply #202
Basically, any app already in the REACT tools directory can be overwritten by a newer version.  I think REACT uses metaflac, so you would do well to replace that.  I doubt you need anything else though.
I'm on a horse.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #203

Will REACT2 work with the new flac 1.1.4?    If so, can I just overwrite the flac.exe file in the ...\REACT2\tools\ directory?
Yes, no reason why not.

Hmmmm ...    OK, so I downloaded the new flac (flac-1.1.4-win.zip) and it came with a bunch of files in addition to flac.exe. I think I can ignore most of them but I notice there is a new metaflc.exe and a new dll (in_flac.dll). Should I add these to the  ...\REACT2\tools\ directory in addition to the new flac.exe file?

Thanks very much in advance, and sorry for being so clueless 

- p

Nope, all you need is the executable (exe file).  The rest are source files, documentation, and the dll is just an alternate format that other programs may use, but not REACT.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

REACT 2 Released

Reply #204
Basically, any app already in the REACT tools directory can be overwritten by a newer version.  I think REACT uses metaflac, so you would do well to replace that.  I doubt you need anything else though.

@ Syn Soul and mmortal03 ... thank you for your responses. I replaced flac.exe and metaflac.exe and left everything else alone and it seems to be working fine. 

I have one more dumb question tho  . How can I tell if my album art is being embedded in the files? (I'm using F10 to rip to image but then encode to flac and mp3 tracks only) When I check them in MediaMonkey the cover art only displays when a folder.jpg image is present. If I move the folder.jpg out of the directory containing the tracks, then no picture displays.

I've got "EmbedCover=1" in the .ini

REACT 2 Released

Reply #205
The new FLAC image embedding may be too new for MediaMonkey.

I haven't heard of any apps supporting the embedded image as yet (although there may well be some).  I would use metaflac to check.
I'm on a horse.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #206
Hi everyone,

Changelog for EAC 0.95b3:
Here comes the new EAC 0.95b3. There are several issues fixed, e.g. some CUE sheets could not been written to CD-R using CDRDAO and now it is possible to wait for external compressors to finish the job before powering down the computer. For some users with high ping times (like satellite internet users) there is a new command line option called -slowconnect which will wait longer for a connection to be established, hope that will work better.
For the next version, I will finally implement the test & copy function for CD images, due to many requests.
Good luck with this version!

as we all know there is actually no test© for images and it is uncertain when the new EAC version with this announced feature will arrive

But is it possible to somehow use a kind of test & copy with images in REACT 2?
Maybe make a first fast image-rip in burstmode and calculate a CRC or md5 and then make an image-rip in secure-mode and compress it with wavpack when the CRCs are identically?

Thanks in advance.

Ryushi

REACT 2 Released

Reply #207
The new FLAC image embedding may be too new for MediaMonkey.

I haven't heard of any apps supporting the embedded image as yet (although there may well be some).  I would use metaflac to check.

Both softpointer's Tag&Rename and AudioShell (free) support embedded album art in FLAC files (and even OGG files). Also developer version of mp3tag (free) since version 2.37d (current 2.37f) support FLAC album art.

Ryushi: Technically, I think it is possible to add test & copy of images with REACT 2 (actually copy & copy), but I won't prioritize that now. First I will update the metamp3.exe tool.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #208
Thank you once again Syn Soul and tycho for answering my question. Also thanks so much for such an awesome tool and equally awesome support!! You guys are the best  .  I tried the developer version of MP3Tag and was able to confirm that yes indeed, the cover art is embedded into the picture block of my new flac files!   

There is now just one more thing that I can't figure out. Is it possible to get REACT to create Album Artist tags for single artist albums (i.e. in addition to the ones created for VA albums) in order to facilitate sorting by Album Artist?

Thanks,

- p

REACT 2 Released

Reply #209
There is now just one more thing that I can't figure out. Is it possible to get REACT to create Album Artist tags for single artist albums (i.e. in addition to the ones created for VA albums) in order to facilitate sorting by Album Artist?

Hi phaedra

Here are the instructions for editing your "react-image.cfg" to set "album artist" tag in your FLAC and MP3 track files :

In EAC then press ALT+F3. Scroll down untill you come to the "REM ---- Tracks ----" section.

Under the "flac_tracks" section, then you change this line :
Code: [Select]
IF @various@==1 SET VA_tag=-T $qalbum artist=@VA@$q

To instead :
SET VA_tag=-T $qalbum artist=@cdartist@$q

Under the "lame_tracks" section, then you change this line :
IF @various@==1 SET VA_tag=--user-text $q[album artist]@VA@$q --frame $qTPE2:@VA@$q

To instead :
SET VA_tag=--user-text $q[album artist]@cdartist@$q --frame $qTPE2:@cdartist@$q

The above line will by default both make an ID3v2.3 TXXX frame with the description "album artist" and an ID3v2.3 TPE2 frame(a "band" tag). If you only want an "album artist" TXXX frame, then use this line instead :
SET VA_tag=--user-text $q[album artist]@cdartist@$q

Or if you only want a TPE2 frame :
SET VA_tag=--frame $qTPE2:@cdartist@$q

Edit: To elaborate a little further... Different apps use different ID3v2 frames for defining the "album artist" tag. There isn't defined an "album artist" frame in the ID3v2 spec. so e.g. foobar2000 sets the "album artist" tag by using a TXXX frame with the description "album artist", but e.g. winamp sets it with a TPE2 frame. If you use foobar2000, then i would recommend only setting the "album artist" TXXX frame and if you use winamp, then i would recommend you to set a TPE2 frame and if you use a combination of both, then set both of them.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #210
Hi phaedra

Here are the instructions for editing your "react-image.cfg" to set "album artist" tag in your FLAC and MP3 track files :

Hi Martin,

Thank you for the elegant solution (and the detailed explanation). It works perfectly  ! Also thank you for all the great advice you have been giving on this topic and elsewhere in the HA forums. I have learned a lot from you. It's great that people like you with so much knowledge about these things are willing to share it!

All the best  ,

- p

REACT 2 Released

Reply #211
Hi again Martin,

Unfortunately there seems to be a small problem with the code you provided  . When I try to rip an album with an ampersand (&) in the title, I get a syntax error and the flac files fail to encode. I also get the error for the lame encode, but the mp3's still get created. I've tried several such albums and always get the same problem.

For example, when I try to rip the album "Mambo Sinuendo" by Ry Cooder & Manuel Galbán, I get the following error message:

'Manuel' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

- p

p.s. no problems at all with albums without ampersands 

REACT 2 Released

Reply #212
This problem is due to the way the acdir command line must be set up. As you want to add "album artist" frame unconditionally, simply replace the string %VA_tag% with
  -T $qalbum artist=@cdartist@$q
in the flac_tracks section, and replace the string %VA_tag% with
  --user-text $q[album artist]@cdartist@$q --frame $qTPE2:@cdartist@$q
in the mp3_tracks section.

And then remove the lines with SET  VA_tag=..., which caused the problem.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #213
Also thank you for all the great advice you have been giving on this topic and elsewhere in the HA forums. I have learned a lot from you. It's great that people like you with so much knowledge about these things are willing to share it!

Thank you very much for the kind words, my friend  You are too kind
Unfortunately there seems to be a small problem with the code you provided 

Please accept my apology for this mistake  Luckilly, tycho has kindly provided the correct solution for you to fix this issue  Again, sorry about that

CU, Martin.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #214
REACT didn't seem to be handling my VA albums correctly so I turned on debugging and this is what I found.  Even though the VA check box in EAC was checked, the @various@ variable was set to 0, not 1.  Does anyone know what might cause this?

I mostly listen to albums so I like to browse artist > album > play on my Karma.  Therefore, I never really liked the VA tagging scheme because the files show up under their track artist in most players.  That means they don't show up together when I browse the way I'm used to browsing.  But EAC won't let me use "Various Artists" as the artist without the check box checking itself.  Can I edit the REACT cfg file so that when the check box is checked, it treats the album like a normal album but replaces the artist tags with what I set the VA variable to in the ini file? It should also use <track title> / <track artist> for the title tag.

Of course, the problem I'm having above would need to be fixed first for this to work.

I am ripping to WavPack images and ogg tracks.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #215
As you want to add "album artist" frame unconditionally, simply ...

tycho, first of all, I cannot adequately express my appreciation to you for developing this awesome tool and sharing it with the world ... for free yet!  You are truly an awesome guy!!!  You're a true genius  Also, thank you for taking the time to address my particular issue. It must get frustrating for you after awhile responding to people trying to tweak your already awesome tool but not being able to figure it out for themselves.  I'm just wondering tho  , is there any downside to my desire for wanting to always have a filled in "album artist" field? I thought it would be good in case I want to sort / search my collection by album artist.

Please accept my apology for this mistake  ...

Martin, do not apologise !!!  Your solution works on at least 90% of the albums out there and I really appreciate you making the effort to answer my question ... you're an awesome guy too !!!  Like my Dad says, 'There's more than one way to skin a cat, but some work better than others ...' 

- p

REACT 2 Released

Reply #216
tycho, first of all, I cannot adequately express my appreciation to you for developing this awesome tool and sharing it with the world ... for free yet!  You are truly an awesome guy!!!  You're a true genius 

Well said, mate  I wholehartedly agree and he deserves it for sure
Martin, do not apologise !!!  Your solution works on at least 90% of the albums out there and I really appreciate you making the effort to answer my question ... you're an awesome guy too !!!  Like my Dad says, 'There's more than one way to skin a cat, but some work better than others ...'

Thank you so much, my friend 

Best regards and take care

CU, Martin.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #217
[...]
Ryushi: Technically, I think it is possible to add test & copy of images with REACT 2 (actually copy & copy), but I won't prioritize that now. First I will update the metamp3.exe tool.

Never mind. I am pretty patient  I am waiting since over a year - since Andre announced "T&C image" in EAC - for it and as it look like I have to wait some more months for a native EAC solution.
Maybe I will try to find out how I can implement your suggested "copy & copy"-method into my cfg-file. I remember there was somebody who implement something like that in his REACT1-configuration.

Cya Ryushi

P.S. Many thanks for this very useful tool.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #218
I'd been using an older version of REACT for a while. Recently had to reinstall Windows so thought it was a good time to use the latest and greatest.

I'm getting an error when albumart.exe tries to start:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application."

I tried clicking on albumart.exe in the coverdownloader directory and received the same error. What have I done -- or haven't I done?

REACT 2 Released

Reply #219
You need to install the .NET runtimes for that app to work.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #220
Thanks -- installing .NET did it! How simple!

More questions:

1) The albumart application seems to want to put the image into the root of the C: drive. The "work" directory where I have EAC save the .WAV file is my D:\. Where should I save the album art file so that REACT2 will pick it up and work with it automagically?

2) A long time ago in a galaxy far far away I mentioned preemphasis. I can use SoX to remove that. Is there a simple (ha!) spot where I can put the appropriate sox command so REACT will, if a special deemph flag is set in the REACT.ini file, deemphasize the ripped .WAV file so that all images and tracks that are created from it will sound as the artist originally intended? (Yes, I realize that changing an image may be wrong, and yet, I doubt that any player in existence will play the CD correctly as-is. Doing the deemph before saving to the image is indeed what I think I want!)

3) I'm saving to a Wavpack image and to LAME MP3 tracks. When I use foobar to look at the properties of the resultant MP3 files I see that the comment field is doubled-up: "Created with EAC/REACT2, 2007-02-24; Created with EAC/REACT2, 200". This seems like a possible bug in the .cfg files?

Thanks muchly,
Bill

REACT 2 Released

Reply #221
I don't know the answer to your albumart.exe question as i have never used that personally and the pre-emphasis thing i'm also not able to help you with, i'm afraid. For those two questions, then hopefully another more knowledgeble member into this particular area can come to your rescue. The final question about the two "comment" tags being made to the MP3's is because that metamp3.exe by default sets both an ID3v1.1 + an ID3v2.3 tag to the MP3's and so the shortened "comment" tag is the ID3v1.1 tag and the full one is the ID3v2.3 tag. That said, i have never personally seen fb2k display two "comment" tags in the "Properties" dialog of an MP3 track file consisting og both an ID3v1.1 and a ID3v2.3 tag. In this case it would just show the content of the ID3v2.3 tag into the "Properties"dialog.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #222
1) The albumart application seems to want to put the image into the root of the C: drive. The "work" directory where I have EAC save the .WAV file is my D:\. Where should I save the album art file so that REACT2 will pick it up and work with it automagically?

Hi Bill,
The cover art has to go to the same directory where REACT puts the temporary files during ripping (otherwise it won't get embedded in your files). You need to specify a directory where REACT will store the temporary ripping files. In EAC, go to "EAC Options" > Directories, then check "Use directory ..." and specify the path to your "work" directory. The cover downloader should also use the same directory for saving images. After setting the path you might have to restart EAC/REACT in order for everything to take effect. 

REACT 2 Released

Reply #223
Can anyone help me with my Various Artist problem posted above in post 215?

REACT 2 Released

Reply #224
The new version of albumart requires modified command line switches, i.e.

-ae on -pf on -ar "artist" -al "album" -p "save path-name.jpg"

I don't see anywhere in react's ini/cfg files to set this up. Any hints?