Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plea for those who own the "Shine On" box set (Read 4621 times) previous topic - next topic

Plea for those who own the "Shine On" box set

Hi Guys,

I am a bit of a Pink Floyd fan and I just ripped my "Shine On" box set for backup. However Plextor reports some error in one of the discs. Sadly it is right. I tried two different Plextor drives and also a Liteon. All reads that area incorrectly. The disc is pristine so I guess it is a pressing error.

I wonder if someone could help and upload this sort section into the forum or just PM me and I'll send you my email address. I would be very grateful. I need lossless snippet of course. I prefer FLAC, but any lossless format will do (including wav). Then I will go and try to mend my copy with it.

So the damaged disc is the Wish You Were Here disc. The box set I have has catalogue number CXK 53180 and this particular disc has catalog number CK 53185.

The damaged region is the 2nd track from 02:55 to 03:10 (where 02:55 means 2 minutes 55 seconds within the track)

If you have different catalogue number, but ready to help, please just upload the damaged section. I have some short spell at the beginning and at the end of the stated section so I can verify if this is the  same mastering.

I would prefer a reliable rip (such as plextor), but I am not choosy. If I could get more than one sample then I could verify them, so even if someone has already uploaded this snippet, I would be grateful if someone else would also do the same. Do not worry about offset errors. I will sort that one out.

I take this request is still legal since it is just a 15 second long material and it is for a good cause :-)

Many many thanks,

Triza

Reply #1
THE HORROR!!!!!

And Wish You Were Here, of all discs

I'm in the middle of a moving process right now, but I'll try to provide the sample ASAP.

Edit: I have an LG, and I don't have access to anything better, unfortunately.

BTW, is your pressing from 2001 or 1992? The 2001 remastering is quite different from the 1992 one (it suffers from Loudness Race). Mine is 92's

Reply #2
Wow, wikipedia says Shine On is a box set of 9 albums...

Wow, I really need to throw away my pink floyd collection on my computer since its not great quality (Well, most of it is good quality, but the Piper at the gates of dawn and a Saucerful of secrets are 112Kbps, and my favorite album The Wall is only 128Kbps) and get that.

How much did you pay for it? Wikipedia says it retails for 300$

Oh, and sorry to take away from the fact you need this, just commenting.
And if you believe theres not a chance to die...

Reply #3
I have Wish You Were Here, and a Plextor.

I will check the catalogue number but rip anyway.

I should be able to upload in 10-12 hours, when I get home from work.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #4
How much did you pay for it? Wikipedia says it retails for 300$[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=354409"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I paid 197 dollars at a South African duty free shop in 2001. Unfortunately, it got much more expensive since, and you only find 2001 remasters on stores these days.

My friend ScorLibran bought a mint condition 1992 remaster from eBay, but I don't remember how much he paid. I think it was less than 200 dollars.

Reply #5
I didn't realise that Roberto had the Shine On version.  That's good news.

I'll upload my version anyway, in case it is some use.  I've no idea what pressing it is.  I must have bought it before 2001 so I guess that's good news.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #6
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. Since nobody replied I feared the worst. It is really painful to be a perfectionist. Sadly the corruption is even audible.

Well I must admit that I bought it second hand, but it was pristine and the cataloge number is the same as the original 1992 release. So I hoped that I got the right one. Having said that the Wish You Were Here has approx -5 dB Replaygain, which is a bit hot. I was surprise myself. I always thought that if they remaster at least they change the cat number. Well this experiment will help. I thought I got the original set. I will go home and look at the replaygain figure for this 2nd track and post it so we can find out if you have the same master. But frankly I do not want to overburnden you. Just upload what you have and I will find out if I can match it with my samples.

Many thanks again for your help.

Reply #7
The situation is ridiculous. I have a bunch of CD-s I bought used and they look like dog's breakfast. They rip fine. The most important of all, which is pristine has this issue. My eyes almost fell out when I tried to find the problem. The disc on both sides are pristine the silver layer is intact.

Murphy's Law comes to mind.

Triza

Reply #8
Wow, wikipedia says Shine On is a box set of 9 albums...

Wow, I really need to throw away my pink floyd collection on my computer since its not great quality (Well, most of it is good quality, but the Piper at the gates of dawn and a Saucerful of secrets are 112Kbps, and my favorite album The Wall is only 128Kbps) and get that.

How much did you pay for it? Wikipedia says it retails for 300$

Oh, and sorry to take away from the fact you need this, just commenting.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=354409"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

120 British pounds. I could have got it somewhat cheaper, but that was definietly a re-issue dated to 2001 if I remember correctly. This one has 1993 (or 1992) next to the copyright sign. I am at work so I cannot remember which one but definitely either one of them. Still as I said -5 dB-ish replaygain looks like a bit hot.

I hope you understand that I need lossless.

Reply #9
I didn't realise that Roberto had the Shine On version.  That's good news.

I'll upload my version anyway, in case it is some use.  I've no idea what pressing it is.  I must have bought it before 2001 so I guess that's good news.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=354521"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So as I said I think I have a pre-2001 version, but in case we have several types to worry about I would welcome your upload along with Roberto's.

Many thanks again guys,

Triza

Reply #10
My snippet has been uploaded to my webspace (1.65MB).

I don't know what to look for to ID the disc!

The spine says HARVEST CDP 7 46035 2.

It appears to be a Harvest/EMI release.

The disc says ©1975 Pink Floyd Music Ltd.  LC 1305.

I guess it's not the same as yours, but it's there anyway.

Let me know when you have it, or if you decide not to bother, and I'll remove it.

Good luck.

Edit: I ripped it twice to make sure.  Here's the log file:

Code: [Select]
EAC extraction logfile from 4. January 2006, 19:45 for CD
Pink Floyd / Wish You Were Here

Used drive  : PLEXTOR CD-R  PX-W5224A  Adapter: 1  ID: 0
Read mode  : Secure with C2, accurate stream, disable cache
Read offset correction : 30
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : Yes

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
                    44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo

Other options      :
    Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
    Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
    Installed external ASPI interface

Track  2
    Filename F:\Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - 02 - Welcome To The Machine.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 73FB5952
    Copy OK

No errors occured

End of status report

------------------------------------------------------------

EAC extraction logfile from 4. January 2006, 19:47 for CD
Pink Floyd / Wish You Were Here

Used drive  : PLEXTOR CD-R  PX-W5224A  Adapter: 1  ID: 0
Read mode  : Secure with C2, accurate stream, disable cache
Read offset correction : 30
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : Yes

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
                    44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo

Other options      :
    Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
    Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
    Installed external ASPI interface

Track  2
    Filename F:\Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - 02 - Welcome To The Machine.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 73FB5952
    Copy OK

No errors occured

End of status report
I'm on a horse.

Reply #11
Hi Synthetic Soul,

I've downloaded it. You can remove it. Many thanks for you time. I'm gonna check, but I have an feeling that we have different version based on the data. Mine is released by the Columbia label. In fact I thought Shine On was a Columbia only project. Nevertheless I will check. I have a few extra seconds at the beggining which is intact so I can compare them. I'll report back as soon as I've done the test.

Reply #12
Hi Synthetic Soul,

No success I am afraid. I could not match anything. Then I looked at the replaygain There is a 2 dB difference. Yours is lower. My glitch cannot account for that. I checked also by listening. It is a right thing but ever so slightly shifted. Again because of different mastering.

Thanks anyway. I think Roberto has the right one. Being at home now I can confirm that mine dates back to 1992.

Triza

Reply #13
I'm gonna check, but I have an feeling that we have different version based on the data. Mine is released by the Columbia label. In fact I thought Shine On was a Columbia only project.

Yes.  Sorry, perhaps I should have been more clear; mine is not part of the Shine On boxset.  I just thought that it may not matter, if we were lucky.

Good luck with Roberto's version.
I'm on a horse.