Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: When you rip Vinyl records to FLAC how do differentiate them from CD rips? (Read 6607 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: When you rip Vinyl records to FLAC how do differentiate them from CD rips?

Reply #25
I digitalize analog often. I add the term Tape or Vinyl to the album's title to differentiate it from other versions. I use Audacity's workflow but I rarely need all the steps as most of the vinyl or tape is in near mint condition. I also don't adjust the amplitude or use compression as I'm careful to record at as high a level as possible, even if it means pre-recording an entire album, or changing recording levels per track if necessary. A SpinClean record washer helped the most.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/sample_workflow_for_lp_digitization.html

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #26
So I use ALBUMVERSION. Both for different CD masterings and for different media sources.

Of course, if you don't care to type up different masterings with versions like "1999 remaster dynamic range=2" in folder name, and you only have CD rips, digitized vinyl and purchases ... here you can be a bit fancy if you like.
* EAC and dBpoweramp and CUERipper would get you the CDDB disc id in some tag name. EAC uses <DISCID> I think, dBpoweramp uses <CDDB DISC ID>.
* The CDDB ID is eight characters (hexadecimal: 0 through F).
* OK, you got eight characters. "vinylrip" is eight characters. "download" is eight, "AmazonDL" is eight, "iTunesDL" is eight, "googleDL" is eight (yes I know Google music is shut down), "artistDL" is eight, "Bandcamp" is eight. And none of these are hex numbers.  Edit: "cassette" is eight too ;)

So if you want to avoid collisions between an album and a CD single of the album title track etc., you can use these eight characters at the end of the folder name. You might get clashes if you have multiple versions of the same album, but rarely. YMMV.

Reply #27
Thank you.
The tag "From Vinyl" will work fine. I have some albums purchased from Bandcamp, for those I can use something like "From Web", so there will be some consistency in naming at least.

The reason I need this separation is because I don't want the media playing software to join the two together when having the same album name. The one without tag is the CD and the other one is the Vinyl Transfer.

[attach type=thumb]21735[/attach]

UPDATE: or as vilsen suggested. I saw his post after I pressed the submit button. Sorry.

Why have them both? Pick the one you like the sound of, keep that

Reply #28
So I use ALBUMVERSION. Both for different CD masterings and for different media sources.

Of course, if you don't care to type up different masterings with versions like "1999 remaster dynamic range=2" in folder name, and you only have CD rips, digitized vinyl and purchases ... here you can be a bit fancy if you like.
* EAC and dBpoweramp and CUERipper would get you the CDDB disc id in some tag name. EAC uses <DISCID> I think, dBpoweramp uses <CDDB DISC ID>.
* The CDDB ID is eight characters (hexadecimal: 0 through F).
* OK, you got eight characters. "vinylrip" is eight characters. "download" is eight, "AmazonDL" is eight, "iTunesDL" is eight, "googleDL" is eight (yes I know Google music is shut down), "artistDL" is eight, "Bandcamp" is eight. And none of these are hex numbers.  Edit: "cassette" is eight too ;)

So if you want to avoid collisions between an album and a CD single of the album title track etc., you can use these eight characters at the end of the folder name. You might get clashes if you have multiple versions of the same album, but rarely. YMMV.

I was thinking in including the dynamic range inside the FLAC files.
I think I can have a custom tag like ALBUMDR and another tag named TRACKDR.
ALBUMDR is the DR value (average) for the entire album, and TRACKDR is the value for a single FLAC file.

Code: [Select]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------	
 Analyzed: Aerosmith /  Artist: Aerosmith
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Duration Title [codec]
 DR11 -2.13 dB -14.16 dB 3:39 01 - Make It [flac]
 DR10 -2.71 dB -14.54 dB 3:45 02 - Somebody [flac]
 DR10 -1.62 dB -14.85 dB 4:25 03 - Dream On [flac]
 DR11 -1.30 dB -13.87 dB 7:00 04 - One Way Street [flac]
 DR11 -1.32 dB -14.45 dB 4:25 05 - Mama Kin [flac]
 DR10 -2.81 dB -14.61 dB 4:09 06 - Write Me a Letter [flac]
 DR11 -1.40 dB -14.49 dB 5:00 07 - Movin' Out [flac]
 DR11 -0.93 dB -15.40 dB 3:12 08 - Walkin' the Dog [flac]
 Number of files:    8
 Official DR value:  DR11

Sampling rate: 44100 Hz
 Average bitrate: 819kbs
 Bits per sample: 16 bit

Dr14 T.meter 1.0.16
==============================================================================================

ALBUMDR=DR11, then for TRACKDR I set a different value depending on the track/

This would allow me to sort albums based on dynamic range. I think it's a little bit time consuming in adding all the values but I think it also worth it.

Reply #29
I was thinking in including the dynamic range inside the FLAC files.
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components/Dynamic_Range_Meter_(foo_dynamic_range)

Can be set to write tags. I've only very rarely had crashes with it - just don't do any other tag update simultaneously.
(If you have albums of the kind that have silent tracks number 17 to 98 and a bonus track on 99, then exclude them or they will pull the album dynamic range down to a useless figure.)