Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vinyl rips (Read 2806 times) previous topic - next topic

Vinyl rips

Hello, I have a few albums on CD and Vinyl, the ones on CD have a relatively low dynamic range and they're too loud because they were released in the late 2000s. The Vinyl versions are better in that regard. I would love to keep the CD rips but only for the older albums, and for the new albums I would rather digitalize the Vinyl records. If some pops will be included, I don't mind them. I'm just not sure on how do you handle the metadata in case of Vinyl rips, if you have any Vinyl rips.

Do you include those A1, A2, A3 side stuff in the title of the songs? I mean in the metadata (not in the file names on the filesystem):

Code: [Select]
[flac metadata]
TITLE = A1 - First track

Also, do you have a specific tag for the SIDE? Or you just use the DISC=, DISCNUMBER=, and DISCTOTAL= which we already use for CDs.
If I specify a DISCTOTAL of two, many music players will split the albums up in two CDs, but I think I can just consider those splits as sides. Right?

Re: Vinyl rips

Reply #1
My view is that, once it is on my hard drive, it gets treated exactly the same as a CD rip or a download, as far as track numbers are concerned. But that's just personal preference, and a dislike of having more tags than necessary.
I'll have a separate album name for double/triple/etc. albums, though (i.e. Greatest Hits: Disc 1 etc.), as I would with a multi-disc CD set.

Reply #2
Thank you so much. Your view is important to me, because ripping Vinyls is probably not a common thing on this forum, so the information is limited and suggestions are appreciated.

Reply #3
A1, A2 etc are not part of the title, so I don't add them to it. As for sides, or multi vinyl releases, I don't tag those explicitly as it's all implicit when you use Ax, Bx, Cx, Dx etc for track position.

Reply #4
A1, A2 etc are not part of the title, so I don't add them to it. As for sides, or multi vinyl releases, I don't tag those explicitly as it's all implicit when you use Ax, Bx, Cx, Dx etc for track position.
By track position you mean the name on the filesystem? I suppose you name the files something like this:

/Artist/Album/
       * A1 - Track1.flac
       * A2 - Track2.flac

Reply #5
By track position you mean the name on the filesystem? I suppose you name the files something like this:

/Artist/Album/
       * A1 - Track1.flac
       * A2 - Track2.flac

In my opinion, there's  a distinction between how the files are named and arranged in the file hierarchy, how you navigate your music collection and the sophistication of your music player to use metadata to display / navigate your music.

By navigation, I mean do you browse the file hierarchy and pick files to play or do you load everything into your player and use that to navigate. By sophistication, i mean how it handles tags such as discnumber,  tracknumber and the format of tracknumbers.

I have tracks from my multi-disc cds tagged with discnumber, tracknumber and totalnumber of discs. Tracknumbers do not include the disc number. I encode to multiple formats. One of the players I use, displays all the tracks in a multi cd set, sorted by disc number and track number within it. This works where the two cds (or records) are essentially just a longer album. There are other cds where each cd has a theme or criteria that was used to collect them together. Using my approach there's no obvious way to show the disc title or 'theme'. Considering each disc as an 'album' provides a way to include this by combining the overall title and the theme in the album title...

To me, I would apply this 'cd' approach to vinyl and consider each side of the vinyl to be a 'disc'. You might want to also populate the 'source' tag to indicate the track rips came from vinyl vs cd vs others...  I write 'source' as I struggle to find the definitive list of agreed tags. - is there one?? In practice, what matters more is what your player does.

However, one list (  http://web.archive.org/web/20040401200215/reactor-core.org/ogg-tag-recommendations.html) shows:
SOURCEMEDIA - the recording media the track came from. eg, CD, Cassette, Radio Broadcast, LP, CD Single
Recording the source is up to you and how much you care about annotating this in your files. I doubt any player would use it

Picard lists MEDIA - https://picard-docs.musicbrainz.org/downloads/MusicBrainz_Picard_Tag_Map.html

Reply #7
I do lots of Vinyl rips because much of the music I listen to didn't get a digital release so far and I treat them as if they were CDs or downloads. Just the normal Tracknumber Title