Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: convert mp3 to ogg (Read 5235 times) previous topic - next topic

convert mp3 to ogg

i presume its a decode/re-encode jobby, or is there another way?. is the quality going to be noticably reduced?, i know you shouldn't really transcode like this.

thanks
"...ambience?, I AM ambience!"

convert mp3 to ogg

Reply #1
although the OggMachine offers mp3 to ogg conversion, i have to say i think it's a really bad idea.
your track is already compressed ? leave it that way .

convert mp3 to ogg

Reply #2
BTW what happened to your plans regarding the MP3replaygain-DSP plugin you baited us with? I am anxiously awaiting such a thing

convert mp3 to ogg

Reply #3
Originally posted by DSPguru
although the OggMachine offers mp3 to ogg conversion, i have to say i think it's a really bad idea.
your track is already compressed ? leave it that way .

Heh, a couple of days I encountered an mp3 in the ogg container at 96 CBR. Made me cry.

Seaweed? Might be healthy stuff but it tastes like my dog used to smell

convert mp3 to ogg

Reply #4
i figured it was never going to be a good idea ,

yinyang that plugins coming, i got side-tracked, hopefully will be ready for next week

-J

convert mp3 to ogg

Reply #5
You're working on an mp3 replaygain DSP plugin? Awesome, I must have missed that thread. Was the issue ever resolved as to where in the file to store the gain values? The last time I remember this being discussed, there was much contention re this issue - I thought they should just go in an id3v2 field, but there is a strong enough anti id3v2 bias on this board that the prevailing opinoin seemed to be to do something proprietary... at this point though, I'd be happy with anything that worked.

convert mp3 to ogg

Reply #6
Question: why is is called "mp3 replaygain DSP plugin"?

If it's DSP shouldn't be for mp3s only...

convert mp3 to ogg

Reply #7
Well a dsp plugin is really the only way to make winamp replaygain aware for mp3s (short of rewriting the decoder plugin). I'd imagine the DSP plugin could communicate with winamp to see what kind of file its playing back, and only make gain adjustments for mp3s. Or it could be made to affect anything, and turn off replaygain in the mpc decoder, and have a single, unified, replaygain setting. I dont know, I'd be interested to hear how the guy who's implementing it plans on making it work.

convert mp3 to ogg

Reply #8
well the plan is, bearing in mind i'm pretty new to c++ and will be making this up as i go (with loads of help from a friend), is to modify the current dsp plugin at http://www.xs4all.nl/~walterln/replaygain/ so that it only works on mp3s, the other formats (ogg,mpc,ape, etc) have native rp support so why mess with that.
then have it store the info in the id3 tag, where? well for me i was going to use the comments field because i never use it for anything else and that gives you the option to not have the v2 tag, but it could go anywhere, any opinions?

-J

ps. i have no idea how the licensing work for using other peoples code, is the anything special i have to be aware of?

pps. if anyone else wants to have a go at this feel free, it may take a while for me to work this out

convert mp3 to ogg

Reply #9
Ergh... this doesn't sound like what we're looking for... it would still lack album based replaygain, which is really the only thing you should be using. So the only thing your modification would do would be prevent you the hassle of having to disable rg for non-mp3 formats, correct?

convert mp3 to ogg

Reply #10
no, the only reason i was going to do was that i move my mp3s around quite a bit and the current plugin stores the rg info in a text file, which isn't practical, the plugin was only an idea i had to solve my prob but some people liked it so i was happy to post it when i was done. about the album gain i have 95% singles, don't really rip albums so it didn't bother me too much, either way i barely have the skills to do the id3 tag reading/saving so i'll have no chance with album gain:)

moving on....  it's not gonna be a huge job to make a proper dsp from what i've heard from some C++ guys i know, is anyone willing to make us guys happy and do this properly. i really want rg support in my mp3s:)