Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: OP Should Edit Initial Post When a Solution is Determined (Read 7086 times) previous topic - next topic

OP Should Edit Initial Post When a Solution is Determined

Recent discussions make me conclude that when a technical problem is posted in HA, the thread's starter ought to edit the original post (OP) so to include the solution to that problem, obviously after a suitable answer is found.

I feel that as a knowledge-based forum, it makes sense that when an OP outlines a problem and a solution is not immediately following, the OP should be edited by the thread starter either by:
  • putting a link to that solution,
  • repeat that solution, or
  • summarize their solution.
[/b]In the interest of conserving internet-space, the first would be more economic (need there be such a concern with pure text?). Also, I feel that if any further questions outside OP are asked (by the thread's starter), they (the thread's starter) should edit the OP to include it. I know the terms of service are designed to prevent topics from going off topic, but if someone has, for example, problems with FLAC tags and then later asks for a better software solution to the problem... that isn't too far off topic warranting a split, in my opinion.

Any thoughts? I don't imagine this to get lots of recognition, but if you read it, try to keep it in mind next time you find an answer to your problem in your thread. It is just a courtesy to think about. Many a time I have searched through the forums finding a thread with my question... but then a daunting task of finding the answer through numerous posts. Even more often, I find that the OP does not contain my specific question initially but asks later in the thread. While not entirely applicable, REACT 2 Released is the most daunting thread I plucked through in two days only to find out I was using the wrong version of REACT. In this thread, it would make sense that when individual posters make questions, and their question is not immediately answered in the next post, they should edit the post to include their solution. Would it be that much extra work to do?
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #1
I think your suggestions make a lot of sense.

I don't like it when an OP never posts back to confirm that a solution was found. Given that a thread is hopefully a document stating a problem with its solution, or solutions, if there is no concluding post from the OP a reader can never be sure that the solution worked, or which solution out of many worked.

I like the idea of linking to the post - probably with a little additional info or observations.

I also like the idea of editing the first post to include any new, relevant, questions, so that users can tell from one post what topics are discussed in the thread.  However, in order to stop other users continually having to check the first post for changes the OP would need to post that they had done so - which does introduce duplication.  Also, this won't account for any other relevant questions that may be raised by other members during the thread.

The main issue that I see is that you cannot dictate how members should post.  A user cannot be certain that a thread will follow these rules, and may therefore still need to trawl threads.

However, as a suggestion for members to adopt, I think it makes a lot of sense.

NB: As you say, the REACT 2 thread is a nightmare, but not really applicable here.  Maybe one day if I'm really bored I could try to split it to dev talk/bug reports/support/etc.  Don't hold your breath though.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
I feel that as a knowledge-based forum, it makes sense that when an OP outlines a problem and a solution is not immediately following, the OP should be edited by the thread starter either by:[list=1]
  • putting a link to that solution,
  • repeat that solution, or
  • summarize their solution.

Yes, this is friendly behaviour. This could be recommended, but not expected.

I tend to disagree here on the principle. A HA member is not a librarian. And an internet message board is not a library. You cannot expect this from HA's members. A message board is a message board, but what you want is a wiki. If someone feels like building a well structured knowledge base with no nonsense and only scientifically proven information, an open internet forum is not the right choice.

Reply #3
... The main issue that I see is that you cannot dictate how members should post.  A user cannot be certain that a thread will follow these rules, and may therefore still need to trawl threads. ... NB: As you say, the REACT 2 thread is a nightmare, but not really applicable here.  Maybe one day if I'm really bored I could try to split it to dev talk/bug reports/support/etc.  Don't hold your breath though.

While given to verbally abusing my computer and going to juvenile flame-boards, just to get-it-outta-me, you think I'd hold my breath to get my way? ::laughs!:: Oh wait  ::holds breath::  No I don't expect anything big, just potentially people might take this into account and do a nice deed.

I tend to disagree here on the principle. A HA member is not a librarian. And an internet message board is not a library. You cannot expect this from HA's members. A message board is a message board, but what you want is a wiki. If someone feels like building a well structured knowledge base with no nonsense and only scientifically proven information, an open internet forum is not the right choice.

I think an HA member can be analogous to a Librarian, just one that doesn't organize the shelves. As it is, when a new OP is a question, ever other HA member is book, each post is a snippet from the text, and each thread is like a new work or new volume. Now the librarian is just writing a brief summary of the whole thing---spoiling the ending for us.

Also, I feel a free speaking forum is the perfect means of acquiring knowledge, kind of Socratic. I think the OP could look like a wiki article but then, if need be, one can look at the progression of ideas if the OP fails to address one's specific concerns, and that can in turn create further ideas.

I don't expect anything big, this is just a courtesy I will definitely adopt myself.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(