Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Do flash-based MP3 players play M4A format? (Read 8440 times) previous topic - next topic

Do flash-based MP3 players play M4A format?

this might be a majorly stupid question, but i'll ask it anyways.
I currently own an IPOD 20GB and while shopping for an USB flash thumb drive, I realized that I could buy the thumb drive with an MP3 player. 

since many of my music files are already in M4A format, but not all, I do still have many mp3's as well.  Does anyone have any portable mp3 player recommendations for me that is compatible for both m4a and mp3?  The product specs usually doesn't say.  Or does all mp3 players support m4a?  I would like to spend less than $100.  I'm iffy on the shuffle because of no display.

Thanks for your time.
elmo

Reply #1
I currently own an IPOD 20GB and while shopping for an USB flash thumb drive, I realized that I could buy the thumb drive with an MP3 player. 

since many of my music files are already in M4A format, but not all, I do still have many mp3's as well.  Does anyone have any portable mp3 player recommendations for me that is compatible for both m4a and mp3?  The product specs usually doesn't say.   Or does all mp3 players support m4a?  I would like to spend less than $100.  I'm iffy on the shuffle because of no display.

Thanks for your time.
elmo
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269199"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Shuffle only, unfortunately.

Reply #2

since many of my music files are already in M4A format, but not all, I do still have many mp3's as well.  Does anyone have any portable mp3 player recommendations for me that is compatible for both m4a and mp3?  The product specs usually doesn't say.   Or does all mp3 players support m4a?  I would like to spend less than $100.  I'm iffy on the shuffle because of no display.

Thanks for your time.
elmo
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269199"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Shuffle only, unfortunately.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269231"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, for under $100 only the iPod Shuffle. I have one and like it. It plays both iTunes created M4A files, M4P files and also any MP3 files fine. Sounds as good as a "big iPod" in sound quality to me. iPods are the only audio players I know of that play both MP3 and M4A files. Perhaps there are some others that play both formats, but I haven't heard of any.

Reply #3
If you have protected (ie purchased from Itunes) AAC songs they will only play on ipod.