Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC using PsyTEL Ecoder (Read 4194 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC using PsyTEL Ecoder

I have been using the WMA format for a while now to store music from CD onto my PC at 64 kbps, but i know this is poor quality compared with AAC, so I started playing around with the PsyTEL command line encoder.  I made several samples using the following command:

AACEnc.exe -vbrhi -br 64 -pns -c 15995 -profile 0 -if AUDIO.WAV

I was dissapointed to find that the bitrate was significantly larger than 64 kbps (around 105) and I heard noticable distortion during playback (with WinAmp) which made the audio sound far worse than WMA with a much lower bitrate.

I know I must be doing something wrong, because everyone assures me AAC is far superior to WMA, especially with VBR.

Any ideas what could be wrong??  This is very annoying and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

AAC using PsyTEL Ecoder

Reply #1
Hmm, Psytel AAC is not regarded the best at low bitrates.
And I'm not the best expert in this, but I would try something like:
aacenc -internet -profile 2 -if file.wav
or
aacenc -radio -profile 2 -if file.wav
of course using the latest aacenc 2.15. However, -profile 2 uses the LTP profile which may not be compatible with future hardware players, though same goes to profile 1 (main).
Juha Laaksonheimo

AAC using PsyTEL Ecoder

Reply #2
Don't use PNS!!!

This bitrate (105) is way too high for PNS. Try again, without using PNS.

Use PNS only when being sure your bitrate will be, at most, 64kbps.

Regards;

Roberto.

AAC using PsyTEL Ecoder

Reply #3
Yeah, I forgot to say the same as Roberto is saying..
PNS (perceptual noise substitution) should not be used here...
Juha Laaksonheimo

AAC using PsyTEL Ecoder

Reply #4
thanks ... i will try encoding without -pnr but ~105 kbps is still too high for what i need.  i would like to quit using wma for good, but i really need the low bitrate it offers (64 kbps).  is it possible to achieve this bitrate with aac and still have superior quality to wma??

- simon

AAC using PsyTEL Ecoder

Reply #5
Starting from 2.15, AACEnc also has -qvbr switch ("quality VBR")

aacenc -qvbr <n> ...

where n is the integer value ranging from 0 to 100

- Note, this is very alpha and experimental switch, -qvbr 100 is certainly not the best quality

AAC using PsyTEL Ecoder

Reply #6
Originally posted by SimonSez07
thanks ... i will try encoding without -pnr but ~105 kbps is still too high for what i need.  i would like to quit using wma for good, but i really need the low bitrate it offers (64 kbps).  is it possible to achieve this bitrate with aac and still have superior quality to wma??

- simon

In this case, don't use -vbrhi switch.

Try -vr, or plain CBR.

Regards;

Roberto.

Edit: BTW, if you use CBR 64, then you should use PNS.

AAC using PsyTEL Ecoder

Reply #7
dotn use -vbrhi

-vbrhi REALLY likes to go 160kbits :-)

thats why i only use -vr baecuse i dont like mo file size to bloatet

replace it with -vr og try some of the presets
Sven Bent - Denmark