Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flac -> Ogg Vorbis (Read 6502 times) previous topic - next topic

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

I would like to go straight from flac to ogg vorbis. This command line didn't work:

flac -d -c d:bloom.flac > oggenc -q 4 - -o d:bloom.ogg

leads to this output:

d:bloom.flac: 74% complete
d:bloom.flac: ERROR while decoding data, state=5:FLAC__FILE_DECODER_SEEKABLE_STREAM_DECODER_DECODER_ERROR

What should be changed to make it work? TIA.

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

Reply #1
Found it. This works:

flac -d -c d:bloom.flac | oggenc -q 4 - -o d:bloom.ogg

Too bad that the tags are not preserved.

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

Reply #3
cheers, man. although i haven't tried it out yet, now i'll be able to encode mpcs and oggs from my flac archive  i'm sorted, for high and low bitrates. much appreciated!

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

Reply #4
doesn't it exicist any script o.l. that can preserve the taggs?

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

Reply #5

It depends on which tags.  If you are talking about Vorbis tags, in CVS now or with flac 1.0.4 in a week or two you can do:

Code: [Select]
metaflac --no-utf8-convert --export-vc-to=- file.flac | vorbiscomment --raw -w -c file.ogg

Josh

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

Reply #6
It depends on which tags.  If you are talking about Vorbis tags, in CVS now or with flac 1.0.4 in a week or two you can do:

metaflac --no-utf8-convert --export-vc-to=- file.flac | vorbiscomment --raw -w -c file.ogg

Excellent, that's exactly what I want to do.  Hopefully this will get into Debian sometime soon (or else I suppose I can checkout and compile the CVS myself...).

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

Reply #7
I've been accomplishing this "transtagging" using the Tag utility found at http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/html/tag.html.  I can point this command at any directory of FLAC files and create an identical directory structure with ogg files.  I borrowed the first part from Speek's idea earlier in this post.

FOR /R "E:\PATH\TO\FLAC" %i IN (*.flac) DO flac.exe -d -c "%i" | oggenc.exe -q 0 - -o "D:%~pi%~ni.ogg" && Tag.exe --fromfile "%i" "D:%~pi%~ni.ogg"

I can already see that this works well for me because I keep all my FLAC files on a separate drive.  If I wanted to put my ogg files on the same drive as my FLAC files, I'd get them all mixed together.  I don't know too much about the windows command line, but I'm sure you could just add a little to the "D:%~pi%~ni.ogg" to get the oggs by themselves.

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

Reply #8

Josh

This is wonderful news! Thanks alot.

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

Reply #9
since FLAC 1.0.4 now is released, what do we add to this command to preserve the tags?

or is there an other way to do this?  (linux/windows)

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

Reply #10
since FLAC 1.0.4 now is released, what do we add to this command to preserve the tags?

or is there an other way to do this?  (linux/windows)

"metaflac --no-utf8-convert --export-vc-to=- file.flac | vorbiscomment --raw -w -c file.ogg"

Data in the pipe is a normal wav file. And you can't use vorbis comments on that...

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

Reply #11
thanks, but what I really asked for is a script that can automate those to commands.

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

Reply #12
Here's how I'd do it (the whole transcoding and transtagging process):

flac -d -c file.flac | oggenc -q 0 - -o file.ogg && metaflac --no-utf8-convert --export-vc-to="tag.tmp" file.flac && vorbiscomment --raw -a -c tag.tmp file.ogg

Since you can't get the tag out of the pipe, I'd just use a temporary file to hold it.  I tried this in windows and it seemed to work fine.  I hope everything is right...

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

Reply #13
thanks, but what I really asked for is a script that can automate those to commands.

What kind of script?  If you're using bash or equivalent you can make an alias like so:

alias zorch='flac -d -c $1 | oggenc -q 0 - -o $2 && metaflac --no-utf8-convert --export-vc-to=- $1 | vorbiscomment --raw -w -c $2'

Then zorch away:

zorch file.flac file.ogg

Josh

Flac -> Ogg Vorbis

Reply #14
I've just uploaded Oggifier 1.8.1. If the source files are tagged, the tags can be copied to the Ogg Vorbies files. Also new is that (allmost) all compressed formats can be transcoded to Ogg Vorbis.

Oggifier website