Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack 4.2 released (Read 70477 times) previous topic - next topic
guruboolez and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #25
rjamorim: you could add LAMIP to your list, too
regards
Marcus

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #26
XMPlay are another player that has gotten a native WavPack input plugin now.
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #27
Long life to WavPack ! 

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #28
The only thing preventing me from switching is teh command-line replaygain scanner.  Nice work!

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #29
Just hopping in to add my thank you to Bryant as well.

Very nice to see a lossless codec with so much active development going on and a developer taking user feedback into account so much.

Hope you can keep up the good work. It seems to me that for quite a few people I know wavpack has become the new lossless codec of choice.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #30
A couple little nits to pick about the new wavpack site design (I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate page, but it should work  ):

Under the Software section on the main page, there are no links. For example, it says "Plugin available here", but there's no link to the plugin or anything.

In the Links page, there's a column that says "Link", with "Visit" links underneath. It'd make a bit more sense just to make the names of the pages (under the Names column) hyperlinks?

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #31
About these quirks in the site design... I designed it a while ago when there was much less content, and Roberto has adapted it since.

The reason the "Software" table is it its current state, is because it was a direct content copy from the old WavPack site.  David just had a list before, so it got stuck on the main page.  When the content was all on one page, it was just a list to advertise the diverse support of the format, not necessarily provide links there.

Also, the reason the "Links" tables are so strange is that they used to be in the same section as the "Downloads" tables, and so followed the same column layout.  Since they're now separated, it would make perfect sense to just link the name of the site to the site itself, just as you said.

Basically, there's a little bit of confusion because the content layout has changed since the layout was designed, and Roberto and I haven't really corresponded except for me to send him the content template when he began filling the content.

Hopefully Roberto can work on these items, and David can decide what to do about the software list. I'd also be glad to copy the current content and submit an updated content set to Roberto, if he's busy.  Just let me know. 

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #32
Bryant, a really great codec. Changed from Ape to Flac and then turned to Wavpack - good compression, fast and full of features and open source.
These are properties and attitudes I like 

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #33
Hi,

Nice to see this great format progressing. I'm wondering what program do most of you use to encode and tag your files? I'm currently using FLAC and encoding/tagging happens in once pass with speek's frontend. (I'd like to keep ripping seperated)

Speek's Wavpack frontend doesn't seem to have tagging capabilities, so I'd have to use another program to do the tagging which would mean more work/programs for me :-p.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #34
Thanks for the update Bryant!

I'm having some problems compiling 4.2 on NetBSD and Solaris Sparc (64 bit/big endian). Version 4.1 compiled on these platforms fine. If I'm able to fix, I'll send any patches/advice your way.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #35
I'm having some problems compiling 4.2 on NetBSD
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289975"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried compiling it on FreeBSD too, and couldn't get past the ./configure part.

About the web page: thanks for your remarks, I'll try fixing it. But feel free to do it Ariakis, I can't webdesign for toffee

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #36
Nice to see this great format progressing. I'm wondering what program do most of you use to encode and tag your files? I'm currently using FLAC and encoding/tagging happens in once pass with speek's frontend. (I'd like to keep ripping seperated)

Speek's Wavpack frontend doesn't seem to have tagging capabilities, so I'd have to use another program to do the tagging which would mean more work/programs for me :-p.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289939"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can encode and tag all at once using Foobar2000. Or using the -w switch in wavpack.exe...

I personally use Tag on the encoded files.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #37
I tried compiling it on FreeBSD too, and couldn't get past the ./configure part.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289993"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh, Oh! 
Pretty many people are moving over to FreeBSD these days, so "Yes, it compiles easily on FreeBSD" will be a necessary sales pitch when I start evangelising for WavPack. Hope this are easily fixed...

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #38
I personally use Tag on the encoded files.

What Tag is that Roberto?

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #39
The latest official version can be downloaded here:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/files/

I have adapted Tag so that you can set tags from the contents of a text file, much like WavPacks new -w "<tag>=@<file>" format.  My version can be found here:

http://www.neilpopham.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk....html#downloads

Edit: I may as well take this opportunity to thank bryant for his continuing sterling work. 

I think picmixer summed it up very well:

Very nice to see a lossless codec with so much active development going on and a developer taking user feedback into account so much.
I'm on a horse.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #40
There are 2 GUI frontends for it too:
Tag frontend by Speek.
Tagger by Börek.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #41
A couple little nits to pick about the new wavpack site design  [...]
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I came up with this:
[a href="http://www.rarewares.org/rja/wavpack/index.html]http://www.rarewares.org/rja/wavpack/index.html[/url]

Hopefully this fixes all those issues. Thank-you for bringing them to my attention.

Now let's wait and see if David approves it for upload to wavpack.com...

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #42
jth & rjamorim. Any error codes to report?
I had to edit autogen.sh to get it to build on Mac OS X, so it may not work straight out of the box for you either. 

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #43
Hi,

Speek's Wavpack frontend doesn't seem to have tagging capabilities, so I'd have to use another program to do the tagging which would mean more work/programs for me :-p.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you like Speek's FLAC Frontend and want something similar that can encode WavPack then you might like [a href="http://members.home.nl/w.speek/multi.htm]Speek's MultiFrontend[/url].  This tags (using Case's Tag) in the same way as FLAC Frontend: the Tag setup is under "Options" rather than "Tag Conf".

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #44
jth & rjamorim. Any error codes to report?

I will have to look up the FreeBSD error. But I got this weird error in Solaris X86, already in the make part:

Code: [Select]
/bin/bash ./libtool --mode=link --tag=CC gcc  -g -O2   -o libwavpack.la
-rpath /usr/local/lib -lm  libwavpack_la-bits.l o libwavpack_la-float.lo
libwavpack_la-metadata.lo libwavpack_la-unpack.lo
libwavpack_la-unpack3.lo libwavpack_la-utils .lo libwavpack_la-wputils.lo
libwavpack_la-words.lo libwavpack_la-md5.lo libwavpack_la-extra1.lo
libwavpack_la-extra2.l o libwavpack_la-pack.lo  -lm
mkdir .libs
false cru .libs/libwavpack.a  libwavpack_la-bits.o libwavpack_la-float.o
libwavpack_la-metadata.o libwavpack_la-unpack. o libwavpack_la-unpack3.o
libwavpack_la-utils.o libwavpack_la-wputils.o libwavpack_la-words.o
libwavpack_la-md5.o libwa vpack_la-extra1.o libwavpack_la-extra2.o
libwavpack_la-pack.o
make: *** [libwavpack.la] Error 1

I wonder what's that false cru thing...

I had to edit autogen.sh to get it to build on Mac OS X, so it may not work straight out of the box for you either. 

Is your autogen.sh including these lines?

if test "`uname -s`" = Darwin; then
   glibtoolize --automake
else
   libtoolize --automake
fi

I always forget to submit it to Bryant...

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #45
Ah, the *BSD error:

checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking iconv.h usability... no
checking iconv.h presence... no
checking for iconv.h... no
configure: error: Can't find iconv headers.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #46
rjamorim: you will probably have to add the libiconv package from FreeBSD's package collection.

Here's the NetBSD error:

gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"wavpack\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"wavpack\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"4.2\" "-DPACKAGE_STRING=\"wavpack 4.2\"" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"bryant@wavpack.com\" -DVERSION_OS=\"NetBSD\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DLFCN_H=1 -DHAVE_LIBM=1 -I. -I. -DPACK -DUNPACK -DUSE_FSTREAMS -DTAGS -DSEEKING -DVER3 -g -O2 -c utils.c -Wp,-MD,.deps/libwavpack_la-utils.TPlo  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/libwavpack_la-utils.o
utils.c: In function `AnsiToUTF8':
utils.c:627: parse error before `converter'
utils.c:628: `converter' undeclared (first use in this function)
utils.c:628: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
utils.c:628: for each function it appears in.)
gmake: *** [libwavpack_la-utils.lo] Error 1

I think the root cause is that NetBSD's libiconv package is slightly broken in some way. It might not be a wavpack problem. In config.log:

configure:20348: checking iconv.h presence
configure:20358: gcc -E  conftest.c
configure:20364: $? = 0
configure:20384: result: yes
configure:20419: checking for iconv.h
configure:20426: result: yes
configure:20431: checking for iconv
configure:20452: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lm  >&5
/var/tmp/cc1SVkZo.o: In function `main':
/home/jth/wavpack-4.2/conftest.c:28: undefined reference to `libiconv_open'
/home/jth/wavpack-4.2/conftest.c:29: undefined reference to `libiconv'
configure:20458: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "wavpack"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "wavpack"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "4.2"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "wavpack 4.2"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "bryant@wavpack.com"
| #define VERSION_OS "NetBSD"
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
| #define HAVE_LIBM 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| #include <stdlib.h>
| #include <iconv.h>
| int
| main ()
| {
|
| iconv_t cd = iconv_open ("","");
| iconv (cd, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);
|  ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:20483: result: no

For Solaris 10/SPARC, there are more fundamental build issues. I updated to the latest libtool and automake, but this problem still persists:

# bash autogen.sh 
You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
libtoolize: `config.guess' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
libtoolize: `config.sub' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
libtoolize: `ltmain.sh' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
Makefile.am:4: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
Makefile.am:4:
Makefile.am:4: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
Makefile.am:4: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.

I'll continue to try and find the root cause for these problems. I think I've eliminated the obvious problems, like linker settings and tool paths.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #47
Is your autogen.sh including these lines?

if test "`uname -s`" = Darwin; then
   glibtoolize --automake
else
   libtoolize --automake
fi

I always forget to submit it to Bryant...

Almost correct. I had to rename libtoolize --copy to glibtoolize --copy to get it going.
Unsure about the rest of these errors on Solaris x86.

On *BSD did autogen.sh complete without errors?
I wonder, because I had errors almost like this when I ran ./configure the first time (before i edited autogen.sh)

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #48
OK - Solaris build problems have been fixed. There was a problem in the libtool/automake setup where the libtool .m4 files were not installed into the proper location. wavpack now compiles and runs fine. The NetBSD problem is proving a little more elusive.

WavPack 4.2 released

Reply #49
You might have to set CFLAGS to look in /usr/local for the iconv stuff on bsd, like so:

export CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib"
sh autogen.sh
./configure