Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting Adobe Audition 1.5 stretch ratio to Audacity 3.0.0 speed % (Read 1046 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting Adobe Audition 1.5 stretch ratio to Audacity 3.0.0 speed %

Hi,

I know this is probably has a simple explanation but I need some help getting my head around it...
Could someone please better explain to me how to take the Adobe Audition 1.5 stretch ratio and convert it to a number that would accurately work in Audacity 3.0.0 as speed  %.

Many years ago I was told if you have an Adobe Audition 1.5 stretch ratio of 108.844 and you wanted to use that to change speed % in Audacity you'de simply write it as -8.844 %, however I have recently found the higher the number the less accurate this method becomes (I am not very experienced with ratios).
For example take a 1minute:00 .wav file and stretch in Adobe Audition 1.5 using ratio 108.844 and the output file changes from
1min:00 to 1min:5sec.30639, but if you take the same 1minute:00 ,wav file and change speed  -8.844% in Audacity 3.0.0  the output file is  1min:5sec.82122 (the Adobe output file and the Audacity output file resulting in 0sec.51483 difference).

I was also told that if speeding up you find the speed % by finding the difference of ratio between 100, so for example if you had an Adobe ratio of 91.875 you would use a speed change in Audacity of +8.125%, but in actual fact the correct speed change is +8.844%, so once again I would appreciate very much if someone could also please explain how to do that ratio to % conversion when also speeding up...

I don't believe either software is making an error (probably an error on behalf of the person who told me all those years ago the wrong method to use!).
Could somebody please explain how to understand this Adobe ratio better?, and how do I convert the Adobe stretch ratio to a number that would work more accurately as a speed % in Audacity 3,0.0.
Thank-You

Re: Converting Adobe Audition 1.5 stretch ratio to Audacity 3.0.0 speed %

Reply #1
You convert between length ratio and speed ratio by dividing 1 by either ratio.

For example
  • 1 / 2 = 0.5, or 1 / 200% = 50%
  • 1 / 1.25 = 0.8, or 1 / 125% = 80%
  • 1 / 1.08844 ≈ 0.918746…, or 1 / 1.08844% ≈ 91.8746…%

This works in either direction.