Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: new issues with autoplaylist SORT in foobar 2.0 (Read 822 times) previous topic - next topic

new issues with autoplaylist SORT in foobar 2.0

I recently upgraded to foobar2000 2.0, and i must say it's very impressive how well everything works--i haven't come across any major issues and it seems a TON faster!

however i did run into one issue, which might be explained somewhere but i couldn't find it: on some of my autoplaylists I was using the following SORT command:
Code: [Select]
SORT DESCENDING BY "$date(%added%)"

This resulted in the playlist being sorted by newest first, but it would keep the track order correct.

However in this new version, it seems like the trackorder is no longer respected, resulting in chaotic trackorder (not sure what this order even is?).

is there a new way to do this? i noticed using the sort pattern command is functional, however that one doesn't seem to support sorting DESCENDING, meaning the newest track is at the bottom of the playlist instead of the top. I can live with that if there's no other way, but of course it's not ideal.

Re: new issues with autoplaylist SORT in foobar 2.0

Reply #1
(i'm realizing now this probably should've been posted in support and not general... if any mod/admin would like to move it, please feel free--sorry about that!)

Reply #2
Just confirming this strange sorting with same sort pattern. Also when searching in Library > Search window, tracks are in expected order (desc date added, then disc/tracknumber), but after creating auto-playlist, track order is messed up. Seems to split up album field as well, with only one track under an album grouping here and there.

(I did fresh install of v2 and used export/import options of Playback Statistics, if that makes a difference -Edit: All stats transferred correctly that I can tell. Also to note all my indexed files are m-TAGS)

Edit: Previously (v1) if I'm not mistaken, I think auto-playlist sorting would fallback (for secondary sorting) to the setting in Preferences > Shell Integration > 'Sort incoming files by' which is %path_sort% - this seems to not be happening here (?)

Reply #3
i noticed using the sort pattern command is functional, however that one doesn't seem to support sorting DESCENDING, meaning the newest track is at the bottom of the playlist instead of the top.

Not tested but you can workaround it with something like...

$sub(99999999,$replace($date(%added%),-,)) | %album artist% | %album% | %discnumber% | %tracknumber%

Reply #4
thank you so much--this works! i had attempted some math tricks but i couldn't figure out how to strip the dashes from the $date to apply math on it. also, i didn't know that using | commands would let you create multiple tiered sorting systems (is that what's happening here?).

on testing a bit more, it seems like just having
$sub(99999999,$replace($date(%added%),-,))
is enough because it probably uses a fallback system when you use the sort pattern field? just a guess, but either way it works, i really appreciate it!