Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need help discerning between 16bit and 24bit wav (Read 5388 times) previous topic - next topic

Need help discerning between 16bit and 24bit wav

I run a netlabel and often get mp3 submissions that need to be remastered (fyi these are only accepted when it is not possible to get a lossless source, such as when project files are lost). i would like to be able to discern which mp3s are 16bit and which are 24bit so i can render to the proper bit depth after mastering. to be clear i WANT to render 24bit mp3s to 24bit wav and 16bit mp3s to 16bit wav, whether or not the difference is audible.

Reply #2
I run a netlabel and often get mp3 submissions that need to be remastered (fyi these are only accepted when it is not possible to get a lossless source, such as when project files are lost). i would like to be able to discern which mp3s are 16bit and which are 24bit so i can render to the proper bit depth after mastering. to be clear i WANT to render 24bit mp3s to 24bit wav and 16bit mp3s to 16bit wav, whether or not the difference is audible.

MP3 doesn't really have a bit depth, so it doesn't really matter.  I'd probably just use 16 or 24 bit for everything.

Reply #3
the person doing the mastering has told me that he converts everything into 24bit, then applies effects to make the 24bit worthwhile even if the source is 16bit.

Reply #4
Editing at 24-bit is worthwhile because doing so in 16-bit *might* introduce noise that would otherwise be inaudible.

Whether 24-bit as a delivery format is truly worthwhile is up for debate.  Any claims that 24-bit delivers an audible improvement over 16-bit should be backed with objective evidence in the way double-blind testing if they are to be taken seriously.  Any claims on this forum must be backed with objective evidence in the way double-blind testing in order to conform with our Terms of Service (specifically #8).

Reply #5
lol yea thats what i love about this forum, no pretentious BS without evidence. since we have server space we release in 24bit 16bit mp3@320kbps and mp3v0. i guess when you have space theres no point in trying to contest whether the slight downgrade in quality is audible.

thanks for the input everyone

Reply #6
Getting back to your original question, unless there is some kind of test signal you're going to be hard-pressed to determine if the mp3 was sourced from 24-bit PCM.  Perhaps you might be able to look at a fade out or something of that nature.

Reply #7
lol yea thats what i love about this forum, no pretentious BS without evidence. since we have server space we release in 24bit 16bit mp3@320kbps and mp3v0. i guess when you have space theres no point in trying to contest whether the slight downgrade in quality is audible.

If you're just converting everything back to MP3, the choice of wav bit depth really makes no difference at all.  The MP3 encoder will produce essentially the same output either way.  Just use whatever you want and be done with it.