Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero encoder 1.5.4.0—lower quality makes larger file; how can this be? (Read 6279 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero encoder 1.5.4.0—lower quality makes larger file; how can this be?

Hello,

I'm using Nero 1.5.4.0 AAC codec in Foobar 1.1.10.  I converted the same source file to AAC using two different settings: q0.38 and q0.40.  Theoretically, the q0.38 should have resulted in smaller file/lower bitrate.  However, the resulting files were just the opposite - the q0.38 file ended up being larger / higher bit rate than the q0.40 file.  How can that be?

I realize this is rather academic as nobody could potentially tell the two apart in ABX listening.  I just found it a bit abnormal.

Thanks!

Reply #1
according to my rather old tests:

Code: [Select]
0.38  => 121.9 kbps (on average, of course)
0.39  => 126.7 kbps
0.393 => 128.1 kbps
0.394 => 125.5 kbps
0.4   => 128.4 kbps
...etc

Reply #2
I suppose it depends on the source material.  I just tried it again with a bunch of additional files, and in majority of cases, -q0.38 again delivered higher bit rates and file sizes than -q0.40.  There were a couple of exceptions though.

Reply #4
IIRC 0.309 - 0.31

Reply #5
By coincidence I encountered the same problem just a few days ago :insane: but haven't checked in this Forum so far but over at Doom9 (this threat) so I missed it allready beeing a topic here. Though there you will only find  my results on a few sources and no more "findings" for now.

Reply #6
Btw. Where your sources where you find the problem 48kHz samples?
As I now experienced it happen on that sampling rate, but not when downsampled to 44.1kHz...

Reply #7
Btw. Where your sources where you find the problem 48kHz samples?

Nope. All my sources were 44.1kHz material.

Reply #8
Mine too.

Reply #9
Sigh - So there must be another parameter causing this. As for me - I encountered the anomaly with DVD Sources (48kHz) but not for CD Sources (44.1 kHz), and it didn't showed up when I downsampled the 48kHz to 44.1 kHz - Besides from Source, are you both sure the resulting MP4 was still 48kHz (Though I assume so, otherwise you would have mentioned it)? Would have been to nice to find a cause that could have been used for a bug report or such :/

Reply #11
Thanks lvqcl!

As I was just fiddling around with Nero AAC and how low I may go with the quality setting with my VHS and Digital Media Backups without sacrificing audio transparency for visual bitrates that topic annoyed me pretty badly - as from 1st sight I was unsure whether the Nero Encodes may be faulty somehow or that I may be doing something wrong in my chain of decoders/encoders!