Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to read CD image in foobar (Read 17128 times) previous topic - next topic

How to read CD image in foobar

Okay ... let's say I have a CD-Image's file and it's HUGE ... it contains 10 lossless files from the related album ... along with its original cue sheet.
Is foobar able to read that HUGE file and show it track-by-track SEPARATELY ? How ?
Previously, I used Medieval CUE splitter to extract/split it ... and it's wrong
Since I don't wanna lose my original's file ... so, it increase my HDD usage only
Please guide me ... Thank you

Some friends said that I should:
1. In Foobar, select the CD-Image file
2. Right click > select Utilities > select Edit CUEsheet > Marked Enable CUEsheet on This File > Load > select the related CUEsheet, and press OK
3. Re-start foobar ... and the lists will showed
Is it right? I dunno ... what i know is ... after I follow the instructions, it still remains and do NOT show the list.
Please help me ...
Thank you

Reply #3
What your friends told you was how to embed a cue sheet into the image file. If you do this, then you can load the image file by itself into foobar2000 and the playlist will show you the tracks. Not all lossless formats support embedded cue sheets. IMHO, it is generally better to use separate cue sheets, not embedded ones.

When you have a separate cue sheet, you just load that file by itself into foobar2000, and the playlist will show you the tracks. For that to work, the FILE line in the cue sheet has to point to the actual image file. Open up the cue sheet in a text editor and look at it. What does the FILE line say? Does it point to a .wav instead of a .flac (or whatever)? Does it have a full path or just filename? If you trim it down to just the filename, make sure it points to the actual lossless image file with no folder path (like "disc1.flac", not "C:\some\path\to\disc1.wav"), and keep the cue sheet in the same folder as the image file, then it should work.

foo_cuefilter does what it says on its homepage ... it prevents unwanted things from showing up in the playlist. For example, if you load both a cue sheet and an image file into foobar2000 at the same time, then instead of showing you entries from both files, with foo_cuefilter installed the playlist will only show you entries from the cue sheet, not the image. Or if the cue sheet refers to a nonexistent image, it won't show up at all.

Reply #4
Okay ... let's say I have a CD-Image's file and it's HUGE
A CD Image can only really go up to 700mb can't it? Foobar2000 should be able to handle up to 4 gigs, and possibly larger depending on the format.

3. Re-start foobar ... and the lists will showed
I don't believe it's necessary to restart foobar, just remove the file from your playlist after embedding the CUE sheet and re-add it. Although as mentioned you can't embed CUE sheets into WAV files, which is possibly what you have if it's "HUGE". Try converting it to FLAC or something similar and then embedding the CUE sheet into the compressed file.

Since I don't wanna lose my original's file
Back it up.

Reply #5
Not all lossless formats support embedded cue sheets ... When you have a separate cue sheet ...

What is the differences between embeded and separate CUE sheet

... was how to embed a cue sheet into the image file.

What it means ... I don't get it.

For that to work, the FILE line in the cue sheet has to point to the actual image file. Open up the cue sheet in a text editor and look at it. What does the FILE line say? Does it point to a .wav instead of a .flac (or whatever)? Does it have a full path or just filename? If you trim it down to just the filename, make sure it points to the actual lossless image file with no folder path (like "disc1.flac", not "C:\some\path\to\disc1.wav"), and keep the cue sheet in the same folder as the image file, then it should work.

Please refer to the downloadlink below:
https://rapidshare.com/files/4011077969/Bee...eces_-_CD10.cue
... and help me to check it out, please?

If you trim it down ...

What you mean by trim it down?

foo_cuefilter does what it says on its homepage ... it prevents unwanted things from showing up in the playlist. For example, if you load both a cue sheet and an image file into foobar2000 at the same time, then instead of showing you entries from both files, with foo_cuefilter installed the playlist will only show you entries from the cue sheet, not the image. Or if the cue sheet refers to a nonexistent image, it won't show up at all.

I put foo_cuesheet in component folder ... how it works? I don't see any differences
Please guide me ...

Sorry I'm a newbie to foobar and I wish to learned more about it.
Please be patient ... Sorry for my dumbness.

Reply #7
I put foo_cuesheet in component folder ... how it works? I don't see any differences
Please guide me ...

1. Goto File - Preferences - Components (this is the FIRST item of all)
2. Look at the "Installed Components" (it's on the right side)
3. Is there a component called "CUE Playlist filter" Version 1.7.0 foo_cuefilter ?
4. If yes, then it's installed.
5. If no, click Button [Install...] (below in the same window), try to find the foo_cuefilter.dll and enter.

In your first posting you've said:
I have a CD-Image's file  ... along with its original cue sheet.

What does the  "CUE Playlist filter"?
If the CUE-file is allright (the name of the 700MB 'huge' FLAC-file right written, the extension right written) then the tracks are shown seperately, and not only one 60 min. 'huge' file.
What is the differences between embeded and separate CUE sheet

Embeded cue is when you have only one 'huge' FLAC file with embeded cue in it. You don't see it when you look at this file sitting on your PC. Drag it to your foobar2000 playlist and youll see it. When the tracks are shown seperately then it was embeded.

PS: Drag'n'drop only the cue-sheet(s) into the foobar2000 window. If the tracks are shown seperately, then the cuesheet was allright. If not, open your cue-sheet with editor (notepad) and have look at the filename AND extension!

Reply #8
Please refer to the downloadlink below:
https://rapidshare.com/files/4011077969/Bee...eces_-_CD10.cue
... and help me to check it out, please?
Since cue files are text people tend to prefer not to have to download them, the cue for reference:
Code: [Select]
REM GENRE Classical
REM DATE 2007
REM DISCID 430FB306
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v0.99pb4"
PERFORMER "Beethoven"
TITLE "Complete Masterpieces - CD10"
FILE "Beethoven - Complete Masterpieces - CD10.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Piano Concerto No.1 in C Major Op.15 - Allegro con brio"
    PERFORMER "Beethoven"
    FLAGS PRE DCP
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Piano Concerto No.1 in C Major Op.15 - Largo"
    PERFORMER "Beethoven"
    FLAGS PRE DCP
    INDEX 00 18:03:69
    INDEX 01 18:08:52
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Piano Concerto No.1 in C Major Op.15 - Rondo - Allegro scherzando"
    PERFORMER "Beethoven"
    FLAGS PRE DCP
    INDEX 00 28:45:04
    INDEX 01 28:46:62
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Piano Concerto No.2 in B-flat Major Op.19 - Allegro con brio"
    PERFORMER "Beethoven"
    FLAGS PRE DCP
    INDEX 00 37:35:43
    INDEX 01 37:44:26
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Piano Concerto No.2 in B-flat Major Op.19 - Adagio"
    PERFORMER "Beethoven"
    FLAGS PRE DCP
    INDEX 00 51:55:08
    INDEX 01 51:58:66
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Piano Concerto No.2 in B-flat Major Op.19 - Rondo - Molto allegro"
    PERFORMER "Beethoven"
    FLAGS PRE DCP
    INDEX 00 60:47:31
    INDEX 01 60:49:14

If the big file is named "Beethoven - Complete Masterpieces - CD10.flac" then it should work fine, as far as I can tell.

Reply #9
If the big file is named "Beethoven - Complete Masterpieces - CD10.flac" then it should work fine, as far as I can tell.

Should?  ... as far as you can tell? 

FILE "Beethoven - Complete Masterpieces - CD10.flac" WAVE

This row is the only important row, and must include the name of the big file. Only you can tell if this is right.

When you drag the cuefile into foobar2000 (or better "enqueue in foobar2000"  from a windows folder) what do you see? Do you see the first title "Piano Concerto No.1 in C Major Op.15 - Allegro con brio" and the next 5 and can you click and play everyone of the 6 tracks?

Can't you tell: Does this work or not?
And you didn't answer: 3. Is there a component called "CUE Playlist filter" Version 1.7.0 foo_cuefilter installed?

Reply #10
By "trim it down" I was meant make the FILE path (in the cue sheet) be only the filename, so that it implicitly refers to a file with that name in the same folder as the cue sheet. However it looks like yours already contains only the filename.

By the way, the presence of FLAGS PRE in the cue sheet indicates that the audio files come from a CD that has pre-emphasis, which is a major treble boost that needs to be attenuated before or during playback in foobar2000 if you want the sound of the original CD as it is supposed to be heard. I would use SoX (command-line tool) to process the FLACs, which would require making & tagging new FLACs with better EQing. http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Pre-emphasis ... if it sounds like too much of an ordeal for you, please consider that the purpose of a cue sheet is not to be a playlist in foobar2000, it is to help CD burning software tell a CD burner how to burn a CD-R, and everything you are doing, from downloading an unauthorized copy of a $1900.00 60-CD box set to playing those files from your hard drive, is a different and largely unintended use, and thus isn't going to be as simple as putting a CD in a CD player and pressing 'play'.

Reply #11
I've tried by draging the CUEsheet into Foobar windows ... and it's OK
Thanx
But I unable to do that with .APE ... is it means that I should convert APE into FLAC?

Reply #12
But I unable to do that with .APE ... is it means that I should convert APE into FLAC?

No, you only need to install "Monkey's Audio Decoder" from foobar2000 comonents side. This input plug-in gives foobar2000 the ability to decode (read and play) Monkey's Audio files (.APE)

Reply #13

No, you only need to install "Monkey's Audio Decoder" from foobar2000 comonents side. This input plug-in gives foobar2000 the ability to decode (read and play) Monkey's Audio files (.APE)

Thank you ... what about WAV? Please show me ...

Reply #14
And now ... how can I make a CD-Image with it's CUEsheet from the separate FLAC and APE file?

Reply #15
And now ... how can I make a CD-Image with it's CUEsheet from the separate FLAC and APE file?

What you have is a CD-Image!
You only need Burrrn an drag your CUE-file into Burrrn window. And burn. Very easy. Works with all important music formats.
Google a little bit!

Reply #16
What your friends told you was how to embed a cue sheet into the image file. If you do this, then you can load the image file by itself into foobar2000 and the playlist will show you the tracks. Not all lossless formats support embedded cue sheets. IMHO, it is generally better to use separate cue sheets, not embedded ones.

Separate cuesheets have their advantages (you will never change the image file), but the use of metadata is limited. That’s why I prefer embedded cuesheets, they accept any field in metadata.

Re: How to read CD image in foobar

Reply #17
Necromancy was used hee to resurrect this old, old thread.
Does someone knows if foo_cuefilter is still being developed? And if so, what's it's new website? Because the one provided here doesn't exists anymore... Or is there an equivalent plugin? I didn't find any about CUE sheets in the official components page.

THANKS!