Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_tbar problem (Read 7685 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_tbar problem

Occasionally Foo_tbar will try and display the name of the track playing in the windows task bar. The output ends up being garbled. If I click on the button to show all tray icons, the garbled text is wiped, but it keeps on reappearing.

I thought at first this was because Foobar was set to minimize to the tray, and when in the tray, foo_tbar would try and display track information in the taskbar. So I turned off minimize to tray, no luck, problem still there. I'm guessing that foo_tbar is not playing well when there are hidden icons in the tray.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'd prefer not to have to show all tray icons, if that's what foo_tbar is not jiving with.

foo_tbar problem

Reply #1
Occasionally Foo_tbar will try and display the name of the track playing in the windows task bar.

I also have this problem (WinXP Pro).
BTW, you've already mentioned this before..

foo_tbar problem

Reply #2
I cannot replicate this error in either nt4 or 2k.  So it actually starts writing on the system tray?  Must be an XP thing.  I will try and look into this more, along with getting an ansi version done.  I just gotta find some time to work on it.

Edit.
Can you guys post a screen capture of it?

foo_tbar problem

Reply #3

foo_tbar problem

Reply #4
I see now.  It appears MS changed the system tray "name" in XP.  Now to figure out what they changed it to.

Anyone know the window class for the system tray?

foo_tbar problem

Reply #5
Thanks SMF for both the effort and the otherwise highly useful plugin. I know you're busy so the time you're taking out to address this problem is appreciated.

FYI, if I click on the "show hidden icons" button in the tray, it gets rid of the text temporarily. Similarly, if I mouse over the buttons in the taskbar where the text is displayed, it clears it up too.

foo_tbar problem

Reply #6
I see now.  It appears MS changed the system tray "name" in XP.  Now to figure out what they changed it to.

Anyone know the window class for the system tray?

Spy++ reports it as "TrayNotifyWnd"

P.S.  The entire Taskbar has the classname "Shell_TrayWnd"

The area with just the minimized windows is "ReBarWindow32".

Then, inside the ReBarWindow32, there's a "MSTaskSwWClass" with the caption "Running Applications", and inside that is a "ToolbarWindow32", also with the caption "Running Applications".

There are, of course, a few other window classes in there.  If you need those, I can post them.

foo_tbar problem

Reply #7
Thanks Curi0us_George.  That makes it a little interesting then as tbar is not supposed to write on "Shell_TrayWnd".  I'll get you guys a beta version with those other classes added into the exclusion list.

Edit.
Try this out boys.  See if this resolves the issue.  T_bar beta 1.0d

foo_tbar problem

Reply #8
No problem.  I hope you can get it working. 

I'd help test, but when I had it installed, I wasn't seeing the "bug" anyway.

foo_tbar problem

Reply #9
Curi0us_George, you are running XP correct?  In that case maybe it is one of the programs they have in their system tray that is bugging it out.  I just thought of that after looking at those snapshots again.  I am starting to think this isn't a system tray issue.

foo_tbar problem

Reply #10
Yep.  I'm running XP pro.

foo_tbar problem

Reply #11
Giving the beta a shot, will post my findings with it. Thank you.

FWIW, I've wondered if the strange behaviour was because traybar icons were being hidden instead of all displayed at once.

foo_tbar problem

Reply #12
tray problem happened with the new beta

foo_tbar problem

Reply #13
In that case poorimpulsectrl, what are you running in the system tray?  Tbar isn't writting on the system tray, it must be writting on one of the programs in the system tray.  Are you running a windows skinning program other than the built-in one?  Because that could also be the problem.  Try removing things one at a time until you find the suspect application.

foo_tbar problem

Reply #14
Is it possible that it's writing onto the "Button" class (the little arrow)?

There's not really a whole lot of stuff going on there.  Shell_TrayWnd, TrayNotifyWnd, SysPager, ToolbarWindow32, Button, TrayClockWClass, MSTaskSwWClass, and ReBarWindow32.  That's all the taskbar uses.

edit: Maybe you should publish a "debug" version, which will report every window it writes on to the console.  Have it report the window class it writes to, and we should be able to figure out what's going on pretty quickly.

foo_tbar problem

Reply #15
poorimpulsectrl is this still an issue with the new version 1.51?

foo_tbar problem

Reply #16
I'll try it out now. Check this out - I still get that issue with the prior plugin even when fb2k is not running and there's nothing in the tray.

Does it matter if I use the ANSI or unicode version? Thanks SMF.

foo_tbar problem

Reply #17
For XP, use the unicode version.  The code is the same as the ansi one, but internally it uses all unicode calls, so it's supposed to be faster.  The occasional left over writting has always been an issue even with the original winamp version.  It arises if the active window area were it is writting becomes an inactive area at the same time as it is writting the display.

Anyhow, if the new version doesn't solve the problem, I make a special debug version for you.

foo_tbar problem

Reply #18
SMF -

Using the unicode version it seems as though the problem is still there. I really appreciate your willingness to attend to this issue as well as the offer you just made. Thanks again.