Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: cleaning vinyl audio? (Read 48482 times) previous topic - next topic

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #50
Hi Paul, nice to meet you too. I see you're located in "London-ish". So am I (Watford, actually). So if you feel the urge to meet up sometime it could probably be arranged. I once met Derek Higgins (author of Wave Corrector) and we had a good old chin-wag.

Yes, I'd like that.  I'm in Slough, no distance at all.  PM me through HA if you like and we can exchange email addresses.

I agree about the need to zoom in [in spectral view] to see the clicks. It's the same with Wave Repair. My personal view is that spectral view is useful when you're doing a manual repair by listening. When you hear a click, zoom in around the general area, switch to spectral view, and the click stands out quite clearly.

Yes, I'd agree with that, based on what I saw in CE.  It's certainly a tool that has its uses.

Other glitches that lack high frequencies (plops and thuds) are much harder to spot. Sometimes you'll see an isolated "splodge" in the spectrogram. Quite often it's easier to spot plops and thuds in waveform view: there can sometimes be an obvious DC-like shift in the general waveform. But even once you've found such a glitch, fixing it can be maddenly difficult. I admit to sometimes giving up and leaving the original thud present, because all attempted repairs make things no better or worse.

Have a little play with VinylStudio.  It's good at fixing things like that, once you have located them. 
Not always so good at finding them though, although, as you say, they often stand out in the waveform display/

Regarding clicks introduced by the hiss filter. This of course is pure speculation on my part, but assuming VinylStudio uses FFTs to implement its hiss filter, my experience has been that unless you apply some sort of windowing so that the overlapped FFTs are "faded in" to each other, discontinuities at the boundaries occur, leading to "ticking". A filter might remove those discontinuites. But if this is what's happening in VinylStudio, then the rumble filter is simply masking something that probably ought to be dealt with by windowing the overlapped FFTs. But I reiterate that I have no idea how VinylStudio's code actually works, so if you already window your FFTs, please don't take offense!

No, that's fine.  We do overlap our FFT's (of course!) and the clicks introduced in this way are very faint, but they are there.  I have some recordings with very high amplitude rumble on the leadin (I think it might be an MP3 artefact, actually) which is probably why I picked this problem up.  The rumble filter is applied *before* the hiss filter, and my private theory is that the large low-frequency component increases the discontinuities at the edges of the FFT windows to the extent that the overlap cannot mask them.  With the rumble 'pre-filter' turned on, this low frequency component is removed before the hiss filter processes the audio, so the problem goes away.

Seems like we're aiming at different user types. Wave Repair is primarily aimed at manual repair - fiddling with the waveform at ultra-fine levels of detail. My view is that automatic declickers sometimes do a good job on "medium level" clicks, but I've yet to find one that deals with big pops and splats, and most of them miss the tiny ticks. I'm kind of obsessive about my restorations, so I have to get in there and fix up things that auto declickers get wrong.

I've never seen VinylStudio, but from what I've read here it sounds as if it's targeted at a more automated restoration process. So the two tools could be complementary. (Seems I should download an evaluation copy and try it out). On the other hand, people who are only interested in automatic cleanup can just ignore Wave Repair - it's definitely a tool for "geeks".

Yes, I think we are, and yes, VinylStudio aims to automate as much of the process as possible.  It has decent manual repair facilities though, give it a go if you like.  Let me know your email address and I'll generate a license key for you.  We've (ok, ok, it's just me ) also worked hard on the 'tiny ticks' problem, but there are always a few that sneak through.

My own view on automatic click scanning is: it can save a ton of time but are you prepared to live with the damage it can do to your percussion?  It can also occasionally distort or soften 'rasping' sounds, but that is rare in VS thanks to a super-duper proprietary algorithm of which I am unjustly proud.

The important thing, really, is to be aware that these problems exist and also to be aware that the default settings might not be the best for any particular piece (or section) of music.  We try to explain all this in the help file, but you now what people are like...

CE2000 is indeed a wonderful program - IMHO the finest affordable general purpose audio editor there ever was. What a shame that when Adobe bought out Syntrillium, they chose to dump CE2000. You & I aren't trying to replace it, but somebody needs to. For sure, the install files are readily available (from my own website, for example), but activation keys are not. New users are either forced to use illegal keys or miss out on a wonderful program.

Couldn't agree more.  Adobe wrecked it.  I am lucky to have a copy.

Cheers and do PM me - Paul.
I am an independent software developer (VinylStudio) based in UK

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #51
However you may also think of providing VS with an interface for “normal” users and another one for perfectionists 

I doubt if that will happen in any major kind of way - too many other fiuelds of endeavour, sorry.  But I am finding this converation useful and it has certainly influenced my thinking as to what we should add to what we have already got.

I thought of applying different filtering processes to files of pure white noise (generated with Audacity). As NR is level dependent I tried also with different intensity levels: 0 dB, -20dB and –24 dB. I made these experiments with WR as it offers configurable filters. The results are interesting I think, and are as follows.

1) Rumble is better attenuated by appropriate notch filters, rather than one or two cascaded HP filters!
In my case I have rumble distributed around two peaks at 15 Hz and 25 Hz, while hum has a peak at 100 Hz and a negligible one at 200Hz.
For hum a notch filter at 100 Hz is mandatory, for rumble I experimented with one and two cascaded HP filter with corner ranging from 30 to 45 Hz.
Alternatively, I used two “broad” notch filters, tuned at 15 and 25 Hz
I found that this way the resulting response is steeper, thus frequencies between 40 and 100 Hz are less affected.

Yes, I can see that using notch filers could be more effective at removing rumble if it has well defined frequencies.  Trouble is, it often doesn't. In the general case, I think a high-pass filter is fine.  We cascade three, rather than two, rolling off at 32 Hz, 2 octave bandwidth (make it too sharp and it just rings).  We found the third filter made a noticeable difference to the sharpness of the response.

I just checked our hum filter: notches at 50 (or 60, etc), 100, 200 and 300Hz, bandwidth 0.05 octave in all cases.  Does that sound right to you Clive?  It's all a bit seat-of-the-pants but it doesn't seem to affect the sound.

2) Applying HR filters may introduce some clipping here and there.

Yes, definitely.  We process internally in floating point, but the output might still get clipped unless you are savvy enough to tweak the preamp slider in the Graphic Equaliser.  This is an aspect we should perhaps take another look at.

3) Filtering with NR is always level dependent, but if the “level dependent” option in WR is selected this characteristic is enhanced, so that NR filtering has a really negligible effect at a 0dB level,  it is nevertheless modest otherwise (without checking the option).

Yes, that sounds right.

4) At –20dB level things are more interesting. The results, without checking the “level dependent” option, are very similar to those produced by the HR filters, but the response is steeper! Morever all information in the noiseprint are used, so that some other frequencies are lightly attenuated.

5) At the –24dB level attenuation of frequencies were noise peaks are located is greater.

6) Would it be better to apply HR filtering and then NR with a noiseprint of the residual noise?
I tried also this. The result is a slightly stronger attenuation of rumble, but at the expense of a less steep response, resulting in more degradation of (ultra)bass notes.

The only thing I could not simulate is the dynamic adaptation of the NR filter. I suppose this could be only judged by actual aural test.

However you should agree with me that I didn’t find any evidence that applying HR filters rather than direct NR is better!

Sorry, I'm not sure I quite followed all of that, but no, I don't agree.  That soft bass note definitely disappeared, for reasons already outlined, and high levels of rumble definitely upset our hiss filter (and, I suspect, others too, we don't really do anything unusual).  I still believe that NR is most effective (or, if you like, least destructive) when asked to do as little as possible.  I personally would not use it in the way you advocate.

You've clearly put a lot of work into this.  Are you able / willing / want to post any screenshots?  Upload them to imageshack or somesuch?  It would be interesting to understand your tests a bit more clearly.

Rgds - Paul.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #52
You've clearly put a lot of work into this. Are you able / willing / want to post any screenshots? Upload them to imageshack or somesuch? It would be interesting to understand your tests a bit more clearly.

Right, here you have a series of images that are worth thousands words (I hope)

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4697/noiseprint.gif
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4340/noiseprintfiltered.gif
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3118/wh...rfilterspg6.gif
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/6425/wh...rfilterset4.gif
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4391/wh...rfiltersfa9.gif

(BTW, ImageShack is terrible... I listed all the links for your convenience)

I'm not sure I quite followed all of that, but no, I don't agree. That soft bass note definitely disappeared, for reasons already outlined, and high levels of rumble definitely upset our hiss filter (and, I suspect, others too, we don't really do anything unusual). I still believe that NR is most effective (or, if you like, least destructive) when asked to do as little as possible. I personally would not use it in the way you advocate.

I think that in my turn I didn’t follow you in your explanation of the terrible effects that hum, rumble and clicks may have on the hiss filter. Perhaps I should know details on the algorithms that I ignore, and possess a stronger background on DSP that I don’t have.
It may also be because I didn’t experience yet something bad like what you described, or because I only need moderate NR that I am still sceptic, however, as you so strongly advocate the use of HR filters as a first step I will end up following your advice, but I would like to understand better this issue.

I just checked our hum filter: notches at 50 (or 60, etc), 100, 200 and 300Hz, bandwidth 0.05 octave in all cases. Does that sound right to you Clive? It's all a bit seat-of-the-pants but it doesn't seem to affect the sound.

You see, you want to keep it simple and satisfy everyone, just one button to press, but that’s too much for me, I just need a 100 Hz notch, and would prefer to leave the rest as much unaltered as possible.
This reminds me of this other statement of yours:

Don't let the numbers put you off. Most of these 'false positives' do not actually matter. If you zoom in on a few of these corrections and take a look at the change that has actually been made to the waveform you will see that, in the majority of cases, it is just a tiny adjustment and is not audible. But, occasionally, such a'repair' can dull the sound of a percussion burst...

Again, if a correction is not audible, why make it? At the risk of making occasionally some damage? I realised that in most cases is like you said, but there are also cases in which apparently useful material is removed. What is audible or not is also subjective. I don’t have a trained hear and, as I already have a certain age I cannot perceive anymore frequencies above 13-14 kHz, however I am in favour of a conservative approach.
Perhaps an evaluation of the power of the suspected noise vs. the rest of the musical sound should be done, and only those corrections that appear to be beneficial performed.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #53

? I have the last CE and Audition 1.0 -- they seem pretty similar.  how did they wreck CE?

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #54
Hi Glauco,

Thanks very much for posting the images, most interesting.  It's the sort of analysis I should probably be doing.  Perhaps I can persuade you to run a similar analysis on VinylStudio's filters...

I'm not going to comment in any detail because I am *not* an expert and have no background in DSP other than what I have picked up working on VinylStudio.  What I'm hoping is that someone else on HA will share their wisdom with us instead.

What I have done though is digitize a couple of hundred of my own albums, and I have spent many hours under the cans [headphones] and staring at wavefrom displays.  Doing that teaches you a few things.

Rumble filter: some of my recordings have a short (1-2 sec), very high amplitude 'wobble' on the leadin at at around 30hZ (although it may be an MP3 artefect, I'm not sure).  It seems to me that this is the kind of thing that damages loudspeakers, and our rumble filter takes it out very neatly.  I would not use NR for this because you would have to ensure that the rumble (which is not representative of the rest of the recording) was in the noiseprint.  This is a simply unacceptable requirement for a program like VinylStudio which is supposed to be easy to use, and I'm not sure I want what is just a transient phenomenon in the noiseprint anyway.  You can subtract, but you can't add it back in.

Hum filter: yes, we could (and perhaps will) offer more control over the notches, but my own personal experience, based on listening to the results, is that the ones we use do not affect the music in any way.  I chose them because they were effective on the samples I had to work with.

IF ANYONE HAS SOME NOISY / RUMBLY / HUM-INFESTED SAMPLES THEY'D LIKE TO SEND ME, PLEASE DO!!!!

This reminds me of this other statement of yours:

Don't let the numbers put you off. Most of these 'false positives' do not actually matter. If you zoom in on a few of these corrections and take a look at the change that has actually been made to the waveform you will see that, in the majority of cases, it is just a tiny adjustment and is not audible. But, occasionally, such a'repair' can dull the sound of a percussion burst...

Again, if a correction is not audible, why make it? At the risk of making occasionally some damage? I realised that in most cases is like you said, but there are also cases in which apparently useful material is removed. What is audible or not is also subjective. I don’t have a trained hear and, as I already have a certain age I cannot perceive anymore frequencies above 13-14 kHz, however I am in favour of a conservative approach.
Perhaps an evaluation of the power of the suspected noise vs. the rest of the musical sound should be done, and only those corrections that appear to be beneficial performed.

We can't not make them.  They might be clicks.  If we *knew* what was an audible click and what wasn't, well, we'd be king of the hill  As Clive said, it's amazing what the human ear can pick up (and, equally, to my mind. how it can be fooled by things like MP3 compression)

Please: just listen to the results.  You really can't hear them, except when a percussion transient gets trampled on.  And as I say, we try very hard not to do that, we really do.  My high frequency hearing is heading south too

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #55

? I have the last CE and Audition 1.0 -- they seem pretty similar.  how did they wreck CE?

By removing it from the market and then charging 5 times as much for the replacement.  As Clilve said, there is no no good, affordable audio editor (AFAIK).

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #56
Ok Paul.
I also read again what you and other authors wrote about FFT filtering, and although it appeared (and still appears) magic to me, I must acknowledge that it can introduce some distortions in certain circumstances.
On the other hand, in any case linear filters cannot do serious damage (except for clipping, which, if not negligible, can be avoided with simple rescaling).
Therefore, as I know quite well the kind of noise that I have, which is quite stable in it’s main components, I have just tried a restoration where, besides removing clicks with your program, I applied only linear                          filtering. I used a series of broad notch filters at 15 Hz and 2x25Hz, plus a narrow notch at 100 Hz. The result is impressive as the remaining noise is practically inaudible (< -74dB), thus hiss filtering can be avoided.
So this is in effect a viable alternative to NR with a noiseprint.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #57
Ok Paul.
I also read again what you and other authors wrote about FFT filtering, and although it appeared (and still appears) magic to me, I must acknowledge that it can introduce some distortions in certain circumstances.
On the other hand, in any case linear filters cannot do serious damage (except for clipping, which, if not negligible, can be avoided with simple rescaling).
Therefore, as I know quite well the kind of noise that I have, which is quite stable in it’s main components, I have just tried a restoration where, besides removing clicks with your program, I applied only linear filtering. I used a series of broad notch filters at 15 Hz and 2x25Hz, plus a narrow notch at 100 Hz. The result is impressive as the remaining noise is practically inaudible (< -74dB), thus hiss filtering can be avoided.

Well, like all DSP tools, NR has its pros and cons I guess.  I am often amazed at how well it works though.  I too feel a sense of awe that something so simple (the algorithm is not complicated) can have such startling effects.  But I think you have made the right decision; it's horses for courses, as we say over here.  I don't think clipping is an issue in practise.  The hum and rumble filters don't need much headroom, unless you make the high pass filter too steep - it's better to cascade a few shallower ones.  I'm not sure if that applies to notch filters though, I've never checked.  Anyway, I still favour the HPF for rumble as it does the job just fine.

I've just remembered why our hum filter uses the notches it does (50, 100, 200, 300).  50Hz is an obvious choice, but the higher harmonics are worth filtering out because they remove power-supply ripple.  This has a fundamental frequency of 100Hz, but is sawtooth in shape so has a significant content of higher harmonics and I found, during testing, that you need to also filter at 200 and 300 Hz to get rid of it in many cases.  As I say, I don't think these filters do much harm, they're very specific.  If you have noise at 100Hz, it came from your power supply, rather than being picked up from your cabling.

Here are a few 'unnecessary' repairs made by VinylStudio (the grey trace is the original and the green trace is the repair).  No way could you here these:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum_images/cr1.gif

And here are a couple of genuine repairs that might or not be audible clicks (this recording had a lot of 'crackle' and VinylStudio cleaned it up very well.  You couldn't do this manually, there is not enough time left before the end of the universe ) :

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum_images/cr2.gif

Here's a potential click that VinylStudio recognised as percussion and therefore left alone (it's a drumbeat, and you can hear things like this fairly clearly when they are mistakenly taken out):

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum_images/cr3.gif

And finally, here's one where VinylStudio got it wrong.

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum_images/cr4.gif

But I really don't think you'd hear this - it's just a nibble at the start of a cymbal crash.  There are worse examples, of course, but turning up Percussion Protection helps a lot if you're can stand the odd false negative.

Thank you very much for your order by the way.  That was a nice gesture.

Cheers - Saluti! - Paul.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #58
Sure.
Just one thing. I have here several recordings (e.g. Meat Loaf, Eagles, Paolo Conte, etc.) were cases like http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum_images/cr3.gif
or very similar to that, get corrected anyway, in spite of Percussion Protection and sensitivity adjustment.
Based on my experience VS is almost perfect for classical music, but has some problems with other kind of music, more aggressive and less melodic.
That’s why all this discussion came out and the reason why I complemented your program with Clive’s WR.
Isn’t it? Hope you consider this as a fair judgement anyway.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #59
I know you hate imageshack Glauco ... but could you post a screenshot or two?  I'd like to see what these repairs look like.  When you capture the screen, can you please make sure you capture the displayed time range, as I did, so that I can see the scale.  Thx.

I don't deny there are issues.  Nothing's perfect.

<-->

Sorry, I'll flesh that out a bit.  I did a lot of comparisons with Wave Corrector and with Sonic Foundry (and indeed with Cool Edit) during development.  All the programs bash some percussion, although the details vary.  Wave Corrector is probably the worst, Cool Edit is quite good (but misses a lot of clicks) and Sonic Foundry and VinylStudio are fairly similar.  Sometimes we do better, sometimes they do.  SF's click scanner is pretty good.

Of my own recordings, most come through largely unscathed, but I have an Alison Moyet track which doesn't fare so well and some funky percussion by Working Week (if anyone remembers them) also gets hit, sometimes audibly.  The effect is a slight deadening of the sound, sometimes more noticeable than others.  The main problem is when short transients are taken out, like the one pictured in cr3.  If larger, wider excursions get reshaped a bit it doesn't seem to matter (to my ears).  A lot depends on what follows the transient.  If it's the start of a cymbal crash you can do pretty much what you like to the waveform as your ears won't be able to tell.  If it's a single, sharp 'thwack' it's a different story.  Hand-claps and bongos are particularly difficult to deal woth, believe it or not.  The 'attack' sound of someone plucking a bass guitar string is another.  We have tried to tune our algorithms to what you can hear, rather than what you can see.

I suppose, in the end, it comes down to how much work you are prepared to put in to rescue any particular piece of music.  If you have a lot of crackles, scanning is the only realistic option.  If you have a few bad scratches, manual repair is probably the best choice.  We will probably continue to differ on where the mid-point is.

One thing that VinylStudio will let you do is scan individual sections of the music separately, which can sometimes be useful.  It will do this without you having to save working copies of your audio file as the repairs are stored in a separate 'overlay' file.  So, if you have a section of funky percussion with no clicks in, don't scan it (or 'unscan' it).  I'd also like to remind anyone out there who is still awake that, apart from having no spectral view, VinylStudio has excellent manual click repair facilities.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that; do post images if you care to.  I'd like to think we could do better, but I have put a lot of time in already and I'm not sure what else can be done.  Always on the lookout for ideas though .  If you have a particularly difficult sample you could upload it to our website, I'll take a look.  Details on request.

Ciao.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #60
Paul, in these days I have been taken by this thing, perhaps too much, so I left a lot of work behind.
Which I must resume. Nevertheless I hope to be able of posting something, but not too quickly. I apologize.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #61
Lol.  That's OK, I know how it goes.  Any time.

- Paul.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #62
Sonic Foundry and VinylStudio
I thought it was, at least, competitive - which given the price difference, is stunning.

I haven't had time to play any more since our last discussion. When I do, I'll try out some audio samples that have defeated me (well, SF) in the past.

Cheers,
David.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #63
Sonic Foundry and VinylStudio
I thought it was, at least, competitive - which given the price difference, is stunning.

I haven't had time to play any more since our last discussion. When I do, I'll try out some audio samples that have defeated me (well, SF) in the past.

Cheers,
David.

OK, good.  Before you go chasing shadows though, I ought to 'fess up here and say that I was using a pretty old version.  I'm not sure how old, it was a, um, gift, but it dates back to the Cool Edit days.  I assume things must have moved on since.  I'd be interested in your results though.  The version of SF I have is particularly good at taking out low-level clicks. Better than VS, certainly.  OTOH, it missed a few loud ones.  Other than that, it was a fairly even match.

And I guess I should also mention that I was using it as a DirectX plugin, if that makes any difference.

PS: Make sure you download Version 6 from our website.  There have been some improvements to the declicker.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #64

By removing it from the market and then charging 5 times as much for the replacement.

Just to clarify: Audition 1.0 is effectively what was CoolEdit Pro - the multitrack version of CoolEdit with various extra goodies bundled. CoolEdit Pro always was a fairly expensive editor (like $200+).

What Adobe did when they bought out Syntrillium was ditch the much cheaper CoolEdit 2000 (about $50, IIRC), which was a stereo editor. For people doing basic stereo work it was (still is for those if us lucky enough to have a copy) a wonderful, inexpensive editor.

As Clilve said, there is no no good, affordable audio editor (AFAIK).

I've not actually tried it, but I have heard on the grapevine that the low cost version of Sound Forge ("Audio Studio") includes the Noise Reduction 2.0 plugin bundled in. Given the price (about $60?), that's a bargain. NR2.0 always was one of the best auto-declickers around, but originally cost hundreds. When I played with Sound Forge, I personally preferred CE2000 as a basic editor, but that's more an interface look/feel issue - as I recall they had fairly similar capabilities. So perhaps Sound Forge Audio Studio is the affordable replacement for CE2000 the world's been waiting for? That said, since I am happy with CE2000, I'm not going to cough up 50 quid to find out!

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #65
I've not actually tried it, but I have heard on the grapevine that the low cost version of Sound Forge ("Audio Studio") includes the Noise Reduction 2.0 plugin bundled in.
Thanks for the heads up.

There's a free trial, so, when I get time I'll take a look!

Cheers,
David.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #66
just to add my 0.02p

Audio Studio doesn't include the NR 2.0 goodies but it does include a vinyl cleanup offering. Still Audio Studio may be a good replacement for CE2000 - the NR features were always an add-on for that anyway at an additionl £40 or so if memory serves

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #67
just to add my 0.02p

Audio Studio doesn't include the NR 2.0 goodies but it does include a vinyl cleanup offering. Still Audio Studio may be a good replacement for CE2000 - the NR features were always an add-on for that anyway at an additionl £40 or so if memory serves

Thought I'd try the fast reply option to save me logging in. Seems I can't even spell my ID in a rush!

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #68
Gawd. People still have hum issues with turntables? I mean, even my not-so-quiet tables only had audible issues when listening at loud volumes with headphones on. I'm not even sure the samples posted on the Knowzy comparisons have significant hum issues.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #69
Mine belt-drive TT has had one for years, a low level (mainly audible on headphones during quiet parts) hum only when the stylus is in contact with a record (and only when the motor is running).  I'm guessing that means some sort of mechanical resonance, but no one was able to fix it (this was decades ago when I last took it in for fixing to some hack who was running a local audio salon; he claimed it was fixed but of course when I got it home, it wasn't).

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #70
Mine belt-drive TT has had one for years, a low level (mainly audible on headphones during quiet parts) hum only when the stylus is in contact with a record (and only when the motor is running).  I'm guessing that means some sort of mechanical resonance, but no one was able to fix it (this was decades ago when I last took it in for fixing to some hack who was running a local audio salon; he claimed it was fixed but of course when I got it home, it wasn't).

Does the hum get louder when the pickup is closer to the position of the motor? (Usually the motor is on the opposite side from the pickup arm, so in most cases we're talking about the hum increasing as the arm gets towards the center of the platter). If it does, this sounds like a classic case of pickup from the windings in the motor. Grado cartridges used to be especially susceptible to this (don't know if they still are).

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #71
Gawd. People still have hum issues with turntables?

Oh yes! We do have rumble and hum! My turntable has about 30 years of honorable service (but a new stylus) and I don’t even think of buying one of the current ones, which have reached amateur prices.
I almost digitized all of my vinyl’s and those of my friends, then it will go perhaps in retirement 
My problem now is to improve, if possible, these recordings.
Hum and rumble removal is thus an issue.
FYC I summarize here the discussion we had recently on this matter.

GlaMas:

1) As I said Wave Repair gives the best results in noise reduction (NR). You have an adequate control of the process, in that you can set accuracy of the FFT, you can select precisely a noiseprint, also by examining its frequency characteristics, and you can enable amplitude dependent filtering, something not found elsewhere. With NR done this way (at 1.5 sensitivity) I didn’t experience any undesirable effect.
This is also more than adequate for hum and rumble reduction. In fact, although I read recommendations (from the Authors of WR and VS as well) to use specific hum and rumble filters for this purpose, I found that the response of the notch and high pass filters available is not step enough (at least in WR), so these filters take out more of the bass notes than general NR does.

Paul Sanders:

2) With regard to hiss, hum and rumble filtering, the hiss filter (which is a broadband noise filter) is not a good choice for removing hum as you will lose bass notes if you fail to turn the hum filter on. This is because the hum filter is a narrowband 50 (or 60) Hz notch filter whereas the hiss filter works over a broader frequency range. By enabling the hum filter, you remove the hum from the 'noise print' used by the hiss filter, which in turn reduces the impact on bass notes in general.

3) What I noticed during testing that a quietly plucked bass string almost disappeared when the hiss filter was used to filter out hum, but was restored when the hum filter was turned on. Another curiosity which might pique your interest is that rumble can cause the hiss filter to generate faint clicks (I think because the low frequency component introduces small DC offets which the overlapped FFT's cannot entirely eliminate). Turning on the rumble filter eliminates this and we do it by default when you enable the hiss filter.

GlaMas:

4) Hmm... I didn’t notice anything like that. Can This depend on the accuracy used in the “hiss” filter?
WR offers various degree of accuracy, as well as amplitude dependent filtering, which should minimise undesirable side-effects like this. Isn’t it so?

Paul Sanders:

5) Possibly, but the point is really moot as you have a better option. I don't know what WR's accuracy parameter means, but it probably means a longer FFT length. What I do know is that hiss filtering is inherently subtractive and you don't want anything in your noiseprint (which is what the subtraction is based on) that you can get rid of in a more selective way. Our hum filter (and no doubt WR's) is a steep-sided notch filter which takes advantage of the fact that we know exactly what the mains frequency is and can therefore target it precisely.

6) It may also be the case that overly long FFT sizes are less effective, I'm not sure.

7) Our hiss filter is inherently amplitude (or, rather, SNR) dependent. Again, on the basis of listening tests, this stood out as the right thing to do, although what we do may do it in the same way that WR does. Loud passages of music are certainly much less affected by the subtraction process than quiet passages. Soft cymbals are a particular challenge, for which we have a 'quality' slider which lets you determine, in effect, how quickly the hiss filter reacts to changes in SNR. The bass note I mentioned was quite soft, and given that there were bass components in the noiseprint, the hiss filter thought it was fair game.

8) One thing that really upsets hiss filters is clicks, so take these out first (VinylStudio always does things in that order) and make sure there are none in the noiseprint. ...
I would *not* apply the hiss filter to a recording that doesn't need it because the FFT .. inverse FFT process (subtraction or no) is inherently imperfect with a finite length FFT.

GlaMas:

9) Ok Paul, thanks a lot.
You almost convinced me not to use the hiss filter and just apply the rumble and hum filters.
I will make some more comparisons.

CliveB

10) I don't know what WR's accuracy parameter means, but it probably means a longer FFT length.
That's right. Wave Repair's accuracy settings mean an FFT length of: Low=2048, Medium=4096, High=8192, V.High=16384.

Paul Sanders:

11) We do overlap our FFT's (of course!) and the clicks introduced in this way are very faint, but they are there. I have some recordings with very high amplitude rumble on the leadin (I think it might be an MP3 artefact, actually) which is probably why I picked this problem up. The rumble filter is applied *before* the hiss filter, and my private theory is that the large low-frequency component increases the discontinuities at the edges of the FFT windows to the extent that the overlap cannot mask them. With the rumble 'pre-filter' turned on, this low frequency component is removed before the hiss filter processes the audio, so the problem goes away.

12) Yes, I can see that using notch filers could be more effective at removing rumble if it has well defined frequencies. Trouble is, it often doesn't. In the general case, I think a high-pass filter is fine. We cascade three, rather than two, rolling off at 32 Hz, 2 octave bandwidth (make it too sharp and it just rings). We found the third filter made a noticeable difference to the sharpness of the response.

13) I just checked our hum filter: notches at 50 (or 60, etc), 100, 200 and 300Hz, bandwidth 0.05 octave in all cases.

14) Hum filter: yes, we could (and perhaps will) offer more control over the notches, but my own personal experience, based on listening to the results, is that the ones we use do not affect the music in any way.

GlaMas:

15) Ok Paul. I also read again what you and other authors wrote about FFT filtering, and although it appeared (and still appears) magic to me, I must acknowledge that it can introduce some distortions in certain circumstances.
Therefore, as I know quite well the kind of noise that I have, which is quite stable in it’s main components, I have just tried a restoration where, besides removing clicks with your program, I applied only linear filtering. I used a series of broad notch filters at 15 Hz and 2x25Hz, plus a narrow notch at 100 Hz. The result is impressive as the remaining noise is practically inaudible (< -74dB), thus hiss filtering can be avoided.

Paul Sanders:

16) I think you have made the right decision; it's horses for courses, as we say over here. I don't think clipping is an issue in practise. The hum and rumble filters don't need much headroom, unless you make the high pass filter too steep - it's better to cascade a few shallower ones. I'm not sure if that applies to notch filters though, I've never checked. Anyway, I still favour the HPF for rumble as it does the job just fine.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #72
Reprise on hum and rumble (H&R) removal.

Before anything else we should ask if it’s possible to remove H&R at the font. A part the turntable I investigated the possibility that, at least hum,  could come from another source.
This figure (Noise stylus up-down (Desperado - end of track).GIF) shows the spectrum estimate according to WR: http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1033/nois...pdowndesper.gif

A more detailed estimate is available with Audacity (Rumore puntina su-giù (Eagles).GIF), but we should keep in mind the bug that shows halved “y” values on the graph: http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8947/rumo...asugieagles.gif

It’s impressive how the noise level has increased placing the stylus running on the disc! (This is one of the noisiest, though). Most is LF rumble, due to mechanical vibrations induced by the bearings, but to me is surprising also the large increase of 100Hz and 200Hz hum. This should be ripple in the motion of the turntable!
Thus my hum is not  a problem due to cabling or poor power supply filtering of the electronics, noise due to cables and electronics is extremely low, it has a 50 Hz peak at -96 dB, the rest well below this level. But if motion of the turntable ripples it’s perhaps a problem of poor filtering of the dc supply of the turntable motor. Anyway, unless buying a new turntable (or trying to fix this one), the alternative is numerically processing the recordings I already made.

A lot has been said, also on this thread, on this issue (see my previous post), however I still have doubts on what could be the best solution. Thus I would like that “experts” in the field, among whom the authors of the programs I am using, would add something to clarify further this matter.

In this days I played a little bit with filters. I found some effective configurations in WR for rumble removal as shown here (wn 3xHP33 vs N15g,N25g,HP30s.GIF): http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8765/wn3x...5gn25ghp30s.gif

We have in green the response of a 3xHP33s filter (3 cascaded, steep HP filters at 33Hz roll-off), compared with the response of a filter composed of a gradual notch at 15Hz, a gradual notch at 25Hz, and a steep HP at 30Hz. It is clear how the use of notches helps in providing a far steep response and avoiding ringing of the filter. In practice I simulated the response of an elliptic filter.
Further notches may be added (BTW, I placed them in correspondence of rumble peaks), for instance adding a 3rd notch (average Q) at 27Hz the response is even steeper, in this figure (wn 3xHP33 vs N15g,N25g,N27m,HP30s.GIF) you have the details in comparison to the response of the 3xHP33 filter: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5541/wn3x...5gn25gn27mh.gif

But perhaps it’s not worth it, the {N15g,N25g,HP30s} filter can be just enough.
With a filter like this the rumble is virtually eliminated with very little damage to the music, as only notes below 33Hz are seriously affected. Not much useful material is found below, in any case it would be seriously damaged by rumble.

The other big problem is hum. The only hum that hurts in my case is at 100Hz, the 200Hz hum is in practice inaudible. Adding a 100Hz notch the noise spectrum is reduced as shown here (Noise vs N15g,N25g,HP30s,N100s (Desperado - end of track).GIF): http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6796/nois...25ghp30sn10.gif

Not bad right?

But is it really not harmful to simply eliminate hum with a notch?
In WR (and other common implementations as well) the steepest notch at 100Hz will affect seriously all notes between 95 and 105 Hz, virtually canceling them forever! Although a tiny portion of the spectrum, there is valuable material in there from time to time... isn’t it?

On the other hand the alternative of dynamic NR has it’s problems. In the previous post I summarized the discussion we had.

However, after removing rumble (which can cause problems, see point 3 above), how can we evaluate its pro and cons with the purpose of removing mainly hum? At least at sustained levels no portion of the spectrum would be seriously penalized, and this is a pro. According to the spectral response I already posted here (wn(-20dB)(-noise)): http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9400/wn20dbnoise.gif

at maximum accuracy the creep at 100 Hz is more or less wide as a notch (notch15-25-100.gif): http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/438/notch1525100.gif

so adjacent bass notes are not affected, thus objection at point 2) of the previous post decay,  moreover its maximum attenuation is finite, thus some information on that band pass through.

Based on your experience what’s the risk of introducing some distortions (e.g. like at point 3) at moderate settings and greater accuracy? Or using the “level dependent” option which is available in WR. In which cases one can expect undesirable effect to take place?
As I said in previous posts, I cannot report of distortions or artifacts, to me the method is quite effective at reducing hum too, as well other kind of noise. If the noise is concentrated in narrow bands and not too high in level, and if a good noiseprint is taken (not corrupted by clicks, etc.), the results IMHO are impressive.
Yesterday I restored a song album by Pavarotti, with very good results. I did the following:
1) Rumble removal with the N15g,N25g,HP30s filter, 2) automatic click removal with VS (about 3000 corrections, at a random check all more or less plausible and no audible artifact, thus I left all of them), 3) noise removal with a noiseprint, made with WR at 1.5 sensitivity, “level dependent” option enabled (I checked the noise residual and found only noise in it).

I understood that these kind of algorithms are no more fancy stuff and well known by people in the field,  but to what extent the results can depend on implementation?
For instance, my first approach with audio restoration tools was with the plug-in offered with Total Recorder (TR). There one could define also parameters like “attach and release speed” to specify how quickly the algorithm should react to changes in music level.  Parameters not found elsewhere, although something similar is in VS (point 7 of above), perhaps to cope in real time with processing during recording. This will unavoidably nibble useful material at attack and leave noise tails at the end.  But in batch processing of wav files we know what comes before and what there is after, so dynamic adaptation could be done on the basis of a perfect “centered average” of  signal RMS which is known exactly at any given time. Are things done this way in WR?

Another alternative is found in DeNoiseLF. According to the author rumble and hum removal is not done by subtractive filtering, but by “trying to separate the milk from the coffee once they have been mixed”, i.e. by separating the signal from the noise (by using wavelets and sophisticated statistical algorithms for their estimate). Marvelous right? Perhaps this sw produces good results, but, as the author admits, it is not exempt by producing artifacts sometime. I gave it a try and  I must say that I found it a bit obscure and not so friendly. There are critical parameters to adjust and IMHO not enough feedback is given to keep the overall process under control. So it’s hard for me to commit to it. But perhaps I am just too tired to try another new tool.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #73
OK, I found that bass note I was talking about - the one that goes missing when you use the hiss filter for hum removal.  Have a listen to these (you may need headphones to hear it clearly):

1: http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum_images/original.mp3 (original)
2: http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum_images/h...filter_only.mp3 (hiss filter only)
3: http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum_images/h...hiss_filter.mp3 (hum and then hiss filter)

It's a lousy recording - it came from an old cassette tape - but if you listen to #2 carefully you will hear that the bass guitar notes - especially the first one - are quite badly affected, both in volume and in timbre.  I boosted the audio so you can hear it - it's actually a very quiet section of music.

I also found an example of the severe rumble I mentioned:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum_images/rumble.gif
http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum_images/derumbled.gif

As you can see, the rumble filter helps a lot but is not entirely effective.  I think this is because the fundamental frequency is quite high (32 Hz) and this is where our filter starts rolling off (I wouldn't want to set it any higher).  This is probably a good example of where a notch filter (or maybe two) might be more effective.  I think there's a lesson in that for me.

> automatic click removal with VS (about 3000 corrections, at a random check all more or less plausible and no audible artifact

We are having some beautiful sunny weather here and I hope to get out in it.  You too Glauco, if you don't mind me saying.  Please don't overdo it (it takes one to know one!)

Best - Paul.

cleaning vinyl audio?

Reply #74
We are having some beautiful sunny weather here and I hope to get out in it.  You too Glauco, if you don't mind me saying.  Please don't overdo it (it takes one to know one!)

Best - Paul.

Here it's raining Paul... Have fun in sunny London