Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: PC Sound card to be used with just headphones (Read 4253 times) previous topic - next topic

PC Sound card to be used with just headphones

Looking to get a PC sound card that I'll dedicate just for headphones use. Looking to spend around $100. Right now my current setup is headphone out on Hercules GTXP -> Pimeta headphone amp -> Sennheiser HD-590.

Listen to some FLAC music, but majority is encoded in mp3 --aps.

Currently researching the EMU0404 and the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. The drivers need to be good since I'm going to use this in addition to the GTXP (which I need for gaming)

Thanks

Reply #1
some options:

- emu 0404
- m-audio rev. 5.1
- ESI Juli@

just wanted to give you a hint, i'm a bit in a hurry
member of the "i have a cat-avatar"-group ;)

Reply #2
With $100 dollars to spend, I would go with the EMU 0404 - it's a really nice card with great measurements.

If you are only interested in stereo, the Chaintech AV710 features a non-mangling chipset (VIA Envy24HT-S) and one (on the rear surround channel) really nice Wolfson DAC. The card is pretty cheap ($25 or so) but won't compete with more expensive offerings on other features.

Reply #3
With $100 dollars to spend, I would go with the EMU 0404 - it's a really nice card with great measurements.

If you are only interested in stereo, the Chaintech AV710 features a non-mangling chipset (VIA Envy24HT-S) and one (on the rear surround channel) really nice Wolfson DAC. The card is pretty cheap ($25 or so) but won't compete with more expensive offerings on other features.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300788"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Envy24HT-S chipset sounds very familiar, isn't there another high end card that uses the same thing? Also I've read that the AV-710 can be modded to a different card (more features I think)

Reply #4
The Envy24HT-S chipset sounds very familiar, isn't there another high end card that uses the same thing?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301144"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
A large number of cards use this chip (or another of the Envy24 family). The M-Audio Rev. cards all do, IIRC.

Reply #5
I use an E-MU 1212m + Pimeta and it's great.

Reply #6

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=300788"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you're using low-impedance phones (Grado, typical portable phones, etc.) with the E-MU, you're gonna want an amp. The high-end Sennheisers will do okay without one.

Reply #7
I have an M-Audio Transit, can be had for $75 online and is a great little external USB audio card, no complaints.  The AV-710 is also nice for straight stereo, and VERY cheap, best bang for buck audio card (for music) I know of.

Scott

Reply #8
Do any of you guys know which envy line cards has the most power output through the jacks? say for headphone usage?