Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 10 things I want from fb2k (Read 10878 times) previous topic - next topic

10 things I want from fb2k

Hello
This is my first post here. Hoped you like it.

As to playlist:

1) drag'n'drop on playlist tabs (easier to arrange songs into playlist, especially for me since I don't have complete albums and categoried songs like some lucky guys :-)
2) background color: so you can use alternate color for each line, each column.

As to Preferences dialog:

3) too much text -> move text into ToolTip, or use "Help" button to show text -> Config dialog could fit in poor people's 640x480 screen
4) should move Output options from "Playback" to "Outputs"
5) Changing focus with "Tab" is too lame compared to Winamp2 :-(
6) Input page: should list supported media type (CUE, XA, WavPack...)
7) keyboard shortcut: for context-menu items doesn't show [context]

As to Menu:

8) enable user to add seperator to menu (menu is too long, sooner or later it should be splitted or seperated)
9) Playlist menu is too long -> split into File & Edit (cut,copy,paste,sellect all,remove,crop,remove dup, remove dead)
10) Component menu shouldn't contains entries similar to Playlist like "play Audio CD", "Add XA files" (they could be put in "Playlist" or "File")

Hey, what about your 10 things?

Reply #1

3) too much text -> move text into ToolTip, or use "Help" button to show text -> Config dialog could fit in poor people's 640x480 screen

As to Menu:

8) enable user to add seperator to menu (menu is too long, sooner or later it should be splitted or seperated)

hi

3. i think it's ok. foobar is no fun on 640x480 and who still uses it anyway?

edit: remember, that peter put more and more text in preferences because of people asking "not so usefull" questions, better not cripple info in additional help windows.

4. makes no sense, output data format is not part of output. see audio processing pipeline.

6. components are listed in component list, would be tautological on the one hand,but still usefull on the other 

8. i'm with you here, (but iirc peter said it's not possible in a clean way... could be wrong here )

regards; ilikedirt

Reply #2
some supported formats like WavPack, MPC doesn't listed in "Components" page.
So I thinks they all should be listed on "Input" page.

Reply #3
some supported formats like WavPack, MPC doesn't listed in "Components" page.
So I thinks they all should be listed on "Input" page.

i didn't say you're completely wrong here 

regards; ilikedirt

Reply #4
Anyone else is getting impression that foobar became pretty mature piece of software? I can tell that because users' requests are mostly comsetical (if useful at all) 

Some components that could be made (but not necesserilly by "core" team):

INPUT:
  • support for MIDI. Requested many times, but there's still problem with good, open source synth library,
  • there're probably a few formats that aren't supported yet. Mostly dead ones or lacking open source decoders (real audio, DTS).
READERS:
  • I'm wondering if support for "container formats" could be made as readers? We could play audio (and only audio!) from AVI or Matroska then 
  • still there're a few protocols that could be implemented, like FTP or MMS (but of course the most important protocol is already there).
DSP:
  • (that's easy to request ) VST/DirectX plugins support
TAGGING:DISKWRITER:
  • image/cue support (aka multiple tracks -> one output file)
UI:
  • IMO default UI is best one. If only it could come with toolbars SDK for 3rd party addons ...

Reply #5
TAGGING:UI:
  • IMO default UI is best one. If only it could come with toolbars SDK for 3rd party addons ...

i with you on these two! toolbars are really a must

Reply #6
ciao..

as for #8. etc. it is a pain in the ass.. to use the DSP`s.
the DSP page should be accessable from the "interface".

Reply #7
I agree that DSP aren't easily accessible.
Besides, one great feature would be "load/save DSP configuration". And it would be perfect if it could save each inner DSP preset too.
Would be useful both when using foobar as an audio tool (convolver...) and as a player (vinyl config...).

Reply #8
(that's easy to request ) VST/DirectX plugins support

It's coming soon. The developer behind OSS3D plugin is designing a multi player DirectX wrapper through OSPI. Foobar2000 is one of those players and if anti-DSP people don't pick on him then it's rather soon.

image/cue support (aka multiple tracks -> one output file)

I need that too. It's posted by many already I guess.
I also think an autoupdate will be very good because it's hard to keep track of the installed components coming outside the "special" package. Or maybe I should say a component manager that updates/removes/maintains packages. I install the special because there're additional components I use but it has a lot of other stuff entirely useless for me. I wish I could remove them from the same interface.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #9
Just one thing, but I would consider very usefull for big playlists : a proper Media Library.

APEv2 tag support plus formatting strings and database speed would make it very powerfull with Foobar.

Reply #10
There aren't ten things that I want, I mean not ten things that come to my mind right now.
I'd give another vote for a proper Media Library, just like man did before me.

Reply #11
Media Library it is.. with rating possibilities.. i really like fb2k, but then again i really love itunes's media library system.. managing 15k+ aac/mp3's suddenly became very easy..
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

Reply #12
READERS:
I'm wondering if support for "container formats" could be made as readers? We could play audio (and only audio!) from AVI or Matroska then 
still there're a few protocols that could be implemented, like FTP or MMS (but of course the most important protocol is already there).

yeah, Messer's idea of playing audio from some movie formats is good.

Hope that it got supported ASAP ;-)

Reply #13
Yeah, wish #5 was granted.
I've just got fb2k 0.7.6. Tab jumping in Preferences dialog works now ;-)

Still 9 wishes awaits!

Most of my wishes was on improving GUI to help easily controlling fb2k.
I dream of one day when people fb2k sits on every PC's desktop.

Reply #14
@saga: agree with every point.

@Messer: Nice ideas. MIDI is groovy, though I'm not sure Foobar could support it soon  And Writing multiple files into a single one is another great idea for sure.

Reply #15
Wish #5 has got granted.
But 2 more have come (in "As to Menu")

As to playlist:

1) drag'n'drop on playlist tabs (easier to arrange songs into playlist, especially for me since I don't have complete albums and categoried songs like some lucky guys :-)
2) background color: so you can use alternate color for each line, each column.

5) [FIXED] Changing focus with "Tab" is too lame compared to Winamp2 :-(
7) keyboard shortcut: for context-menu items doesn't show [context]

As to Menu:

9) Playlist menu is too long -> split into File & Edit (cut,copy,paste,sellect all,remove,crop,remove dup, remove dead)
10) Component menu shouldn't contains entries similar to Playlist like "play Audio CD", "Add XA files" (they could be put in "Playlist" or "File")

As to Menu:
11) Context menu should pop up in blank playlist, or when right-click beyond last item in playlist. So I could cut-n-paste with foosion's foo_copy_n_paste components

12) In component 's song list (like foo_dbsearch 's result list), the component should add their own items at top of context-menu (OK, this reuest should go to foosion, but I don't know where he is right now ;-).

Reply #16
11) Context menu should pop up in blank playlist, or when right-click beyond last item in playlist. So I could cut-n-paste with foosion's foo_copy_n_paste components

12) In component 's song list (like foo_dbsearch 's result list), the component should add their own items at top of context-menu (OK, this reuest should go to foosion, but I don't know where he is right now ;-).

11) I disagree - almost all context menu entries are track-related and thus there's no point in showing them when clicking on anything else but a track (aka playlist entry). As for the non-track-related context menu entries, like foosion's Edit menu: That's why those entries show up in the Playlist menu as well - just so you can paste stuff into empty playlists.

12) dbsearch does this. "Track focus in playlist" and "Settings..." are its only own menu items, and they are not only added on top of the context menu, but also separated from the rest using a menu separator line.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #17
I'd like the ability to ReplayGain .WAV files, and also the ability to transcode from .MP3!!

While I'm wishing, how about the ability to replaygain AAC and every other kind of file too?

Reply #18
I'd like the ability to ReplayGain .WAV files, and also the ability to transcode from .MP3!!

While I'm wishing, how about the ability to replaygain AAC and every other kind of file too?

It should be technically possible to ReplayGain any audio track in any format providing you've got a metadata area to store it in.  You could store ReplayGain info in containers that don't have that kind of support, but it would break compatibility with any other player.

Reply #19

It's possible to replaygain pretty much anything (including audio cds) that foobar is able to play back.  In some (many) cases those changes are not permanent though, sometimes because the gain info can only be stored in fb's database, sometimes because the data is stored in some tag but other players don't support the tag type or replaygain itself.

As for permanently replaygaining wav files: replaygain them so fb2k stores the gain info locally, then use diskwriter to "convert" to wav and tick the "use replaygain" checkbox. Then use "convert" -> "run conversion" from the context menu

Transcoding from ANY format is possible already. Possible target formats: ANY format you can find a CLI encoder for (using foo_clienc)  plus those supported through more specific encoder plugins.

On a general note: DUH. People, please familiarize yourself with the player before requesting thousands of features that are already there.

Reply #20
ssamadhi97: you're might not see that foo_dbsearch quietly add "Play" to the context-menu. I wonder why the author didn't insert it before the seperator

Reply #21
ssamadhi97: you're might not see that foo_dbsearch quietly add "Play" to the context-menu. I wonder why the author didn't insert it before the seperator

That's because the "Play" command isn't added by dbsearch, it's added by foo_utils.

It's available in Extended Search and Album List as well.

Reply #22
the console is great, but i'd love to be able to dock it inside the fb2k playlist window

preferably a resizable frame at the bottom, so that it shares the window space with the playlist

a bit like this:

Reply #23
1) Two "sticky" playlist area tabs:

One "Now Playing" playlist which would be the default target for all enqueues from the db, cd drive, or anywhere, such that existing playlists aren't overwritten.

One Tab that references the DB in some way similar to the album list, but right there (accessiblility rocks) and in the same format as your playlists. In addition to all the normal context menus you would have the ability to enque it back over to Now Playing or add it to any of your custom playlists.

All other playlists could sit right beside these "sticky" tabs when you need them, and no combination of crashes, etc. could remove the stickies or bury them on the right.

2) Some kind of winshade or top/sidebar functionality, with the ability to "drop it down' as the normal maximized window.

Just my $0.02...
Medium Pimpin...

Reply #24
Future wishes for foobar2000:
1) Ability to write cuesheets from playlist
2) Promise to NEVER include video (or try to become a media player)
3) Midi (soundfonts) support.... (not very important, other good progs out there for that)
4) More easy costum configuration of database and config....
5) Nothing but keep up the good work and understand that us users will be nagging u constantly, please bear over with us - it's all outta 'luv anywayz... 
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts