Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Will converting 48 kHz FLAC to 44.1 kHz MP3 have any negative effects? (Read 5458 times) previous topic - next topic

Will converting 48 kHz FLAC to 44.1 kHz MP3 have any negative effects?

I have so FLAC files at 48 Khz (DAT) and I want convert them to 44.1 Khz 320 cbr Mp3. My question is if this would have any negative effects since the Khz won't be the same as the source file.

Reply #1
No, LAME (which I presume you are using, as you mentioned dBpowerAMP in your other thread) is perfectly able to resample with effectively zero probability that you or anyone else could hear a difference.

Edit: Of course, some might say that there’s no need to resample if you don’t have to! But it doesn’t matter much either way, as resampling’s impact upon the audio is trivial compared to the remainder (i.e. the MP3-/lossy-specific aspects) of the processing. Which you probably won’t notice either

Reply #2
Yep, you shouldn't have to resample. I think every MP3 player on any platform or device I've had can playback 32, 44.1 and 48KHz sample rates for MP3

Reply #3
What I would do is to simply encode the file at 48kHz, to avoid having that extra unnecessary processing done to the audio.

Something else to think about is that most computer sound cards operate natively at 48 kHz, or a multiple thereof. (Not sure about portables and car stereos.) So 44.1 kHz audio gets resampled on playback to the sound card's native 48 kHz. So, changing your file to 44.1 might actually cause it to be resampled twice - 48 to 44.1 before encoding, then again back to 48 on playback.

I consider myself blessed when I come across 48 kHz audio for this reason. Not only do I get marginally higher resolution, but I can avoid it being resampled on playback on my PC.

However, I'll end by seconding what db1989 said, that is: More than likely, you won't be able to hear a difference either way. So this choice has little effect in the end.  Personally I'd avoid resampling simply because it's an unnecessary step.