Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Unresponsive for Minutes at a time in Windows 10 (Read 5246 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Unresponsive for Minutes at a time in Windows 10

Hi,

I've just upgraded most of my computer (motherboard, CPU, OS etc.) but kept my old DVD drive. I'm re-installing the software I used to have including EAC. However, EAC keeps on hanging for a few minutes before becoming responsive again. I've not managed to rip a CD - I've kept on killing EAC as it has taken so long. And it sits there in menu modes as well as when ripping. I'm just ripping to WAV files as well so it's not a conversion problem.

I'm running:

* Windows 10 Home 64bit (up to date as far as I'm aware)
* EAC 1.3
* Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170S Drive
** Default driver - Windows says it is up to date

I've looked on the internet, and while I can't find my exact problem anywhere, there were some suggestions. I've tried:

* Disabling auto-run
** This definitely helped, often EAC refused to appear while this was still active
* Running in Windows 7 and Windows 8 compatibility Modes
* Running as Administrator
* Turning it off and on again
* Reinstalling it
* Installing EACv1.0b6 (and trying Vista compatibility with this)

All without any luck, sooner or later EAC will just sit there for a few minutes and have a think before becoming responsive again. I've notice that even when I kill the application task the background process remains for several minutes (eventually it disappears but does not respond to me trying to end it.)

I've just tried using Foobar2000 to rip the same CD and it worked fine. (I could carry on and use this, but I've had good success with EAC in the past and would like to carry on using it if I can.)  I'm just trying Easy Audio Copy (which I found in the comparison database and it is suffering from the same hanging problems (plus only seems to work in full screen mode which is a bit pants)

Thanks for any suggestions to fix it or alternatives to try.

Re: EAC Unresponsive for Minutes at a time in Windows 10

Reply #1
Do you have the same issues when ripping in burst mode? have you tried other gap detection methods?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
Have you tried other CDs?
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #3
Hi! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try and see if they work.

In the meantime I borrowed a Samsung USB DVD drive from a friend and tried that - worked without a hitch.

So if I can't get the current drive to work, I think I'll just give up on it and buy a new drive (it'll be worth the money if it saves me a headache.)

I'll let you know how I get on.

Reply #4
As for alternatives I'll throw in my recommendation for CUERipper, part of the CUETools download. Offers EAC-style AccurateRip logs, among other niceties.

Reply #5
Thanks for the tip. I tried burst mode, different gap modes and a few other settings with no success. In some ways I'm not surprised, as on further investigation EACwould hang even when I wasn't ripping a disc. I've ordered a new drive now (this was something I was gonig to do anyway as I plan to get a smaller PC case with no DVD drive bay.) If that still doesn't work I'll try CUERipper - I've had a look at it and it does look very good)

Thanks everyone for taking the time to make suggestions.

Reply #6
I know this is an old topic, but I have the same issue - my EAC just completely hangs for minutes at a time. Ripped through several tracks quickly, then hangs for 4-5 minutes, then when it recovers, it behaves oddly momentarily (things appear to go faster than they should) and then goes back to normal. I had the same event happen when I had the program open, doing nothing.

I've been using EAC for probably 10 years and i've never seen such a weird event - I will say this is on a new install of Windows 10 with a new MB, but same burner as my last PC, which was also running W10.